• AA1942 brought new fantastic plastic chips.

AA1940 2e brings the old ones!

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

AA1942 brought new fantastic plastic chips.

I heard that the new chips (less notches and they include red gray and green) came in 1940-2e.

Regardless, I would have preferred if all chips be kept with the original style. Right now I have two sets that don’t stack well, and if I get 1942 2e, I will have 3. I barely have enough chips for a global game, and that is from using all of the chips from Original Europe, Pacific, and AA revised, plus 100 red chips I got that seem to be designed for poker.

Each time they change the chips (not counting changes in colors), it’s a bad thing from my perspective.

• If you need that many chips, you play wrong. You must play aggressive so the chips keep flowing off the map

• @Razor:

If you need that many chips, you play wrong. You must play aggressive so the chips keep flowing off the map

I am glad you are such a master of the game that you can tell me how wrong I am about how I play from one paragraph that gives almost no details about how I play.

Please enlighten us with more of your wisdom.

I am not as wise as you, and you have not given me a paragraph, but from your post it’s clear that you communicate with people wrong.

PS: We have plenty of red; it’s the gray we run out of.

• Hi you, with the long foreign nick, Larry Harris and his expert playtesters says its enoug chips. If you need more chips than the Master and his expert playtesters, then you do something wrong. This game is not designed for huge infantry stacks that suck up all the chips, it is designed for Blitz krieg and fast aggressive play. Period.

• Customizer

@MEGAEINSTEIN:

AA1942 brought new fantastic plastic chips.

Yeah, I was surprised at the chips in the 1940 2e games. I thought that the new chips in 1942 2e were going to be the future standard.

On the other hand, I don’t care for the chips from 1942 2e. They don’t stack together as well. The older chips will stay together better.

• TripleA '12

Yeah, I think I have to concede that I do in fact prefer the old chips as opposed to the new 1942.2 ones. As great as they are, they just don’t hold together all that well.

• The 42SE chips are smaller so they don’t take up quite as much space in tight areas, but there aren’t enough to use in G40. The new green chips (3 units) that are now in both new games are very cool, and should take the place of many of the gray chips so problem solved. Go on-line and buy some green chips if you didn’t get the G40SE (they are worth it).

BTW Razor’s style of play is very aggressive (from what I gather), and so are his posts. Don’t look to deep into it, he really is a good guy for the most part, but can come off a little rough. Different play styles are to be expected. Some ppl (like Razor) aren’t too patent and believe all the units are placed to be put into an immediate grinder. They generally rely on favorable dice, and normally get good results. Some others like to build up super stacks (many chips), and wait for an opening then strike, or just wait until the odds are greatly in their favor. Our group has both types of players, so we need to adjust our games accordingly, its all good.

• @Razor:

Hi you, with the long foreign nick, Larry Harris and his expert playtesters says its enoug chips. If you need more chips than the Master and his expert playtesters, then you do something wrong. This game is not designed for huge infantry stacks that suck up all the chips, it is designed for Blitz krieg and fast aggressive play. Period.

That’s BS and you know it. The real reason there are less chips is because it cuts cost over the thousands of games printed.

What does my nickname being foreign to you have to do with anything?

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

That’s BS and you know it. The real reason there are less chips is because it cuts cost over the thousands of games printed.

What does my nickname being foreign to you have to do with anything?

Plastic cost from less to nothing, and you know it. Its making a mold that cost money. They used a lot of Dollar$ to make nation specific Anti-Air gun molds to every player, and that cost as much money as the national budget of minor countries like Sweden, so why the duck should they try to save nickels by beeing cheep on the chip count ? Its just not rational and make no sense what so ever. I figure we got a little wheener here, right ?

And what do stacking add ? If Germany buy 10 inf each turn and stack in Poland and Russia buy 10 inf each turn and stack in Belo, and both are waiting for a favourable moment, this game can go on a very long time and you will sure run out of chips no matter how many extra chips you get, man. The little plastic units are fodder, they sit there waiting for some to come kill them, man. They are not designed to stack. If you are not an aggressive player, then Ludo is the game for you.

• '16

@Razor:

Hi you, with the long foreign nick, Larry Harris and his expert playtesters says its enoug chips. If you need more chips than the Master and his expert playtesters, then you do something wrong. This game is not designed for huge infantry stacks that suck up all the chips, it is designed for Blitz krieg and fast aggressive play. Period.

A&A Spring 1942 didn’t even have enough chips for it’s set-up…
    So, I doubt the amount of chips is due to play testing rather than money-saving.

• @ch0senfktard:

Yes, and that is because you are supposed to buy 2 copies  :-D

• @Razor:

@ch0senfktard:

Yes, and that is because you are supposed to buy 2 copies  :-D

2?  I bought 4

• Ah, you must be an adult ?

• cutting the number of chips is a simple cost cutting. They sell games without enough chips to do the set up so of course they are cutting the number of chips on purpose not because you don’t need them but to save $$$. Think about it if one chip cost them $.01 and they cut one chip from a game that sells 1m copies that’s $10,000 they save by not putting in one chip. Now I’ve found most games are about 15-20 chips short that’s between $150,000 and $200,000 saved on the production run. and each chip cost more than $.01 to produce. You’ll have to ask the fine people at HBG how much a chip cost to make. Revised is basically (speaking only in need for chips) as '42.2 but the chip count went down alot between the two games.

I can deal with lower the chip count as long as they don’t change the chips. The chips for '42.2 look great and them being just that little bit smaller is helpfull but they are different they don’t stack with the older ones and I have a ton of the older ones and would rather stick with the older ones. They changed chips for BotB they don’t stack with the other chips. So I end up using '42.2 chips for one power, BotB chips for another, and the normal chips for everyone else. And that’s just for Global.

If you play aggressive then you don’t need alot of chips. If you play conservative and play the odds then you need more chips then come in the box. I’m the most conservative player in my game group, (it’s not said but you can tell) therefore I need more chips. One player in our group can play as Germany using something like 12 total grey chips. It’s about style of play and the chips they provide doesn’t allow for a more conservative style but it’s to many for a meat grinder style.

• @Yavid:

I can deal with lower the chip count as long as they don’t change the chips.

My thoughts exactly.

@Razor:

The playtesters must have had enough time left over from perfectly balancing the OOB game to determine how many chips were necessary, right?  :roll:

• Sponsor

If you’re playing the game, than you’re playing the game right. It’s over opinionated, strategy squashing, 2nd round quitting, table flipping, no good for nothing trolls that only play the game once a month, and think they have all the answer…. who suck.

• The chips from aa 1942second edition are much more practical and beautiful than the old ones

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

The chips from aa 1942second edition are much more practical and beautiful than the old ones

But they dont interlock very well

• The second edition chips are actually not the same as the old ones, they are lower quality plastic than the old ones and they are slightly thinner. I don’t mind the old ones but the crappy new ones downright suck.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m