I do not understand the new anti aircraft guns rules

• 1st edition rules states (and all previous versions I beleive) only one AA gun may fire regardless of how many occupy the territory. 
    2 AA guns still equals one dice roll per attacking planes.

2nd edition rules make no mention of this, in fact they state that each AA gun in the territory may fire up to 3 shots.

So if you have 2 AA guns and 1 fighter attacks you would roll 1 dice for each AA gun… 2 dice.

If you have 2 AA guns and 2 fighters attack you would roll 2 dice for each AA gun … 4 dice.

If you have 2 AA guns and 4 fighters attack you would max out at 3 for each AA gun… 6 dice.

Seems that simple to me.

• @Paulzy:

1st edition rules states (and all previous versions I beleive) only one AA gun may fire regardless of how many occupy the territory. 
    2 AA guns still equals one dice roll per attacking planes.

2nd edition rules make no mention of this, in fact they state that each AA gun in the territory may fire up to 3 shots.

So if you have 2 AA guns and 1 fighter attacks you would roll 1 dice for each AA gun… 2 dice.

If you have 2 AA guns and 2 fighters attack you would roll 2 dice for each AA gun … 4 dice.

If you have 2 AA guns and 4 fighters attack you would max out at 3 for each AA gun… 6 dice.

Seems that simple to me.

No.  No aircraft is fired on more than once.  You’re limited either by the total number of shots your AAA can have OR by the number of air units - whichever is less.

• @kcdzim:

No.  No aircraft is fired on more than once.  You’re limited either by the total number of shots your AAA can have OR by the number of air units - whichever is less.

To me this is the easiest way to figure it out - multiply the number of AAAs per 3 and compare it to the total number of attacking planes. The lesser number is the dice rolled for AA shots.

• 2nd edition rules make no mention of this, in fact they state that each AA gun in the territory may fire up to 3 shots.

So if you have 2 AA guns and 1 fighter attacks you would roll 1 dice for each AA gun… 2 dice. <–The correct answer is 1 dice. Number of attacking aircraft =1, 2 AA guns x3 = 6, 1 is the smaller number so it’s the answer.

If you have 2 AA guns and 2 fighters attack you would roll 2 dice for each AA gun … 4 dice. <— The correct answer is 2 dice. Number of attacking aircraft =2, 2 AA guns x3 = 6, 2 is the smaller number so it’s the answer.

If you have 2 AA guns and 4 fighters attack you would max out at 3 for each AA gun… 6 dice. <— The correct answer is 4 dice. Number of attacking aircraft = 4, 2 AA guns x3 = 6, 4 is the smaller number so it’s the answer.

Seems that simple to me. <— not to be a smart ass but that’s not a true statement either. You seemed to have missed on understanding the rule.

Some other examples: 12 attacking aircraft vs. 2 AA guns = 6 dice.
    1 attacking aircraft vs. 12 AA guns = 1 dice.
    7 attacking aircraft vs. 3 AA guns = 7 dice.

• Thanks for the input …

But, for online play … the AA rules must be changed from previous versions, correct ?

For example 5 fighters attacking a territory with only 1 AA gun, AA could only roll 3 dice, correct ?

• @Paulzy:

Thanks for the input …

But, for online play … the AA rules must be changed from previous versions, correct ?

For example 5 fighters attacking a territory with only 1 AA gun, AA could only roll 3 dice, correct ?

Correct.

• TripleA '12

…I think it’s a bit weird that the initial set up for all powers in this game has all of the AAA units stationed in territories that have Industrial Complexes in them, even though they cannot defend those ICs from Strategic Bombing. (I am drawing my comparisons between 1942SE and Spring 1942). I think some of those AAA units should have been placed on the front lines along with the troops, to defend them against attacks by enemy air units.

So it looks to me like they literally just substituted all (or most) of the original AA Gun placements with the new AAA units but didn’t give much thought to what they were doing? I dunno, just seems to me that it may confuse new players to see all those AAA units stationed with Industrial Complexes.

What do you think?

• TripleA

online play has been adjusted on triple a. however trip a does not have this map yet. usually you have to wait 1-6 months before it gets programmed etc. It is so people buy the board game, have their face to face matches without having specated seasoned vets and their openers. So people can have fun doin crazy stuff, then it comes out on triple a, then a different kind of crazy happens. :)

The rules on this is pretty clear. It says somewhere each fighter can only be fired upon once by aa guns and somewhere else that each aa gun shoots up to 3 times. you couple the two rulings together and wa la.

Yeah I wish they grouped things better / had examples in rule book etc etc.

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

…I think it’s a bit weird that the initial set up for all powers in this game has all of the AAA units stationed in territories that have Industrial Complexes in them, even though they cannot defend those ICs from Strategic Bombing. (I am drawing my comparisons between 1942SE and Spring 1942). I think some of those AAA units should have been placed on the front lines along with the troops, to defend them against attacks by enemy air units.

So it looks to me like they literally just substituted all (or most) of the original AA Gun placements with the new AAA units but didn’t give much thought to what they were doing? I dunno, just seems to me that it may confuse new players to see all those AAA units stationed with Industrial Complexes.

What do you think?

The AA Guns being stationed alongside the ICs are to help defend the troops guarding that IC from takeover. Yes, ICs have their own AA defense, but that is only for SBRs, not regular attacks. I would figure that territories with ICs in them are your most important territories, so the AA guns are a bit of more defense for that territory.

• @Cow:

online play has been adjusted on triple a. however trip a does not have this map yet. usually you have to wait 1-6 months before it gets programmed etc.

I heard there’s already a beta being tested…

• TripleA

well yeah, the beta for trip a takes awhile, because of new rules etc. takes time.

• @Cow:

well yeah, the beta for trip a takes awhile, because of new rules etc. takes time.

Actually I heard it’s already playable, the only issues remaining are graphic and some missing territory connections.

I think it is called… v5?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m