• @techroll42:

1 word: Sealion.

You can get away with it.

Ok yeah, but what are you going to do with it?  Without immediate pressure against them, yes USSR will have time and $$$ to build up against the coming storm. US will likely spend most if not all their cash in the atlantic in order to retake UK. Without the cash going into the pacific, the USN will never be able to challenge the IJN from roaming at will in the pacific. USSR might be able to spare a couple of bucks to put that IC down in Korea. But any units built there are fewer units against Germany. Without USN support or a severely hampered Japan, that factory is toast and anything built into it will be sacrificed upon the alter of Japanese air. It might be a nuisance to Japan for a little bit, until it’s overwhelmed and it will be overwhelmed. I just don’t see how it’s worth the investment.

• TripleA

DOOD. If USSR is stacked up round 1, 18 inf 2 AA gun… you unload everything you got on him. all your air except for a few fighters make it. plus you got f ton men. PICK UP THE CASH FLOW.

All it does is make japan war R3 instead of R2.

R2 you should get malaya + 3 islands. It’s not hard. 3 starting transports = 3 islands + transports you buy -> pinoy.

Ruskies usually move back, and then they move up R2 and attack R3, the same round you usually have all the islands… he can only realistically go to Korea.

Airbase kwangsi = all your air makes it to manchy soo he has to be in korea.  Korea is japan sea zone and provides no retreat for the ruskies.

You should have no problems.

• Here is my common strat using USSR against Japan

R1- stack 18inf, 2AA in Bury

R2- step back up into Amur

R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

R4- break the pact and attack Manchuria

China, UK, ANZAC continue to build and fight for Yunnan region.  Trying to keep it under Allied control.  US builds at Hawaii, preparing to take Carolines as a launching pad.  At any time if Japan attacks USSR they put themselves grossly out of position for the rest of the game.  It gives the Pacific Allies the time they need to regather.  Japan become neutralized or sacked every time.

Has anyone tried this also???  I don’t see any counters to it yet.

• TripleA

airbase kwangsi, if transports will be out of range, drop naval base as well. russia steps into korea. blam instant defeat.

you are safe as long as you stay in korea… but when japan feels like it… you have no where to escape.

• @Cow:

airbase kwangsi, if transports will be out of range, drop naval base as well. russia steps into korea. blam instant defeat.

you are safe as long as you stay in korea… but when japan feels like it… you have no where to escape.

No, you are not really understanding the dynamics of this move.  It gets Japan out of position and gives the WAllies that extra round or 2 they need to regroup.  On top of that you lose precious ground units needed later.  Even with an AB/NB it is still a 2-round diversion that eventually can’t ignore.  I don’t think you really understand the impact this has.  I know others have used this and have found success with it.  I can just about guarantee a complete sack of Japan with this strategy.  Anyone try it???

• @questioneer:

Here is my common strat using USSR against Japan

R1- stack 18inf, 2AA in Bury

R2- step back up into Amur

R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

R4- break the pact and attack Manchuria

China, UK, ANZAC continue to build and fight for Yunnan region.� Trying to keep it under Allied control.� US builds at Hawaii, preparing to take Carolines as a launching pad.� At any time if Japan attacks USSR they put themselves grossly out of position for the rest of the game.� It gives the Pacific Allies the time they need to regather.� Japan become neutralized or sacked every time.�

Has anyone tried this also???� I don’t see any counters to it yet.

If Amur is left open, Japan’s best option is to ignore it as India Crush is still of paramount importance to a Japanese VC win in the Pacific.

However, if Amur gets stacked upon, it is in J1’s best interest to remove the threat immediately and reap the benefits of multiple “Free” IPC territories.

Japan can deal with the Russians later on if they turn aggressive as there is very little benefit to either side being at war in terms of actual victory conditions.

As an aside, I still think the Neutrality NO is too far in favor of Russia.  There is no benefit to Japan if Russia breaks the truce, only negatives.

• R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

Wait, lolwut, the Soviet Union attacking an integral part of the Japanese empire doesn’t break the pact. I think you may have that wrong, taking a broad brush stroke based on this line here;

If the Soviet Union attacks any Japanese-controlled territory bordering these Mongolian territories while Mongolia is still neutral, Mongolia will remain neutral and not ally itself with the Soviet Union

That just means that Mongolia stays neutral, not that Russia essential gets a free pass at Korea. At least, I hope I am right.

As an aside, I still think the Neutrality NO is too far in favor of Russia.  There is no benefit to Japan if Russia breaks the truce, only negatives.

I am still in favor of Japanese puppet states, like Manchukuo or something. Maybe they can supply a set amount of “defensive infantry” if certain requirements are met.

• He is right, since korea does not border manchuria, he does not have to worry about losing the mong bonus, untill he attacks manch that is.

• @ghr2:

He is right, since korea does not border manchuria, he does not have to worry about losing the mong bonus, untill he attacks manch that is.

I know that much, no matter how stupid I think the rule is.

I was referring to essentially him saying that attacking Korea doesn’t break the “pact” (hence a DOW).

• '17 '16 '15

I’m confused

how does korea not border manchuria?

• 18 inf 2 aa guns going all for Japan means Russia dies 100% of the time. No if and or buts about it, and Germany should take Russia with ease.

• I think he meant korea doesn’t border mongolia.  And the “pact” is the mongolia rule in the final alpha

• '17 '16 '15

ty

• @theROCmonster:

18 inf 2 aa guns going all for Japan means Russia dies 100% of the time. No if and or buts about it, and Germany should take Russia with ease.

This is the most important thing people might be missing, I think.
    Sure, Russia stepping into Korea is a punch in the dick for Japan.  Frankly I think the rule’s a bit stupid when there’s not much of a real punishment or consequence when Russia declares war. 
    However - Germany switches gears and pours infantry into the eastern front = dead Moscow.
    64 IPCs of ground troops that don’t come back is a lot to a Russia facing a full Barbarossa.
    Just have Japan build a factory on the northern coast, build three infantry a turn there, and hold the Russians back from going further south.  Hold them back and do whatever you can on your other fronts. 
    Wait for Germany to laugh at a Moscow that didn’t get any of its ski troops. :-D

• TripleA

Meh, those 18 inf and 2 aa guns are getting 3 bucks a round. it pays for itself.

plus UK pac can send mech to help russia out. so things going well in the pacific sooner can mean aid from UK pac.

If you are holding Korea and Manchuria… you are getting 2 inf a round for the allies.

The japan strat is simple, come in with overwhelming odds. the allies strat is fruity pebbles.everyone tries to spread the japanese out and merge together when possible.
    ~
    If you are familiar with the old classic game, india is the new karelia, games can be won or lost there. There is no liberating that.

• TripleA

people seem to be having a hard time playing japan from what I noticed.

Buy your transports on the first round, because round 2 you may want to leave japan seazone empty especially if usa is chillin in hawaii (you may as well not give him something to kill and drop an airbase and some minors).

Your superior naval is several turns ahead of USA purchases, which gives you a tremendous early advantage, use that advantage to seize islands quickly and setup for an india showdown come rounds 4-6. All your starting pieces should be moving toward china/india. india is higher priority, so make it one.

usa is a non factor usually till round 4. (r1 place west usa r2 hawaii r3 anzac r4 an issue).

• @Cow:

Meh, those 18 inf and 2 aa guns are getting 3 bucks a round. it pays for itself.

If Russia is getting any money from a territory that is convoyable and right next to Japan’s main naval IC, Japan messed up.  Unless US makes a concerted effort to push you out of SZ 6, Russia will never get any IPCs from Korea.
    It does not pay for itself.

• @Cow:

That’s a pretty long term investment.  Think of it as Russia not collecting any income at all for the first 2 turns.  18 infantry at $3 each is $64, plus 2 AA guns at $5 adds up to $74.  $74 / 2 = $37, the same amount they get each turn when still neutral.

• TripleA

well it takes pretty long to come home…

also think of it this way, sooner japan gets shutdown, the sooner you get help from UK PAC and USA. so it is not exactly an empty investment.
    ~

walking home takes 6 rounds or something like that… assuming you take korea instead round 3. you’ll get 4 inf back.

I also like to take iraq with ruskies for 5 bucks. couple inf and couple mech with the air. you get your joes back in time.

I will admit, japan is much easier to play without freaking 18 inf and 2 aa guns to deal with. hawaii can hit japan sz and land in korea.

usually by then i am pushin for india anyway and only need specific things to maximize my chances. Unless I got a naval base in kwangsi, it takes 3 rounds for japan to get to india… round 2/3 is the last xporter purchase generally. for the round 4/5 takedown. usually I get the naval base for kwangsi, to blast off from there, if nothing can possibly block me.

you buy the naval base the round after your last xport buy. (so your transports move up to kwansi and the naval base goes down, then you blast off to india.

• If Russia attacks Japan with the 18inf,2AA or Japan attacks the stack- Japan WILL have major problems.  Allies can sack them nicely.  My question is…if they do this and Germany does a hard Barbarossa will Moscow fall???  I have not seen substantial evidence if this happens with the Siberian attack.

Again, I’m in the playtesting mode with this also- just not seeing it- or at least yet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m