• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I have never played Global 1939 but I am familiar with Global 1940.  I am set to play my first game this weekend and I have some questions about Fortifications.

Fortifications seem like a really good deal, because you get that roll @5 plus up to 10 infantry get +2.  So that’s 25 pips for $15 (or 50 if the attacker takes 2 turns to take the territory and you get to use the fort a second time).

1. In the setup (v6.1) it says that Switzerland “has 2 fortifications and therefore is used for the second round of combat also” (p. 32).  I assume that means up to 10 infantry get the +2 on the first round and 10 get it on the second round, but do both fortifications get the roll @5 on the first round or does one of them roll on the first round and the other roll on the second round?

2. In the setup charts it says that Russia can build fortifications for $15.  Can Russia build more than one fortification in a territory like Switzerland has done?  If they can build more than one, can they build them both on the same turn?

3. Does the fortification only give +2 to infantry, or can it give the boost to mechanized infantry or other units?

Thank you

• '14

@variance:

I have never played Global 1939 but I am familiar with Global 1940.  I am set to play my first game this weekend and I have some questions about Fortifications.

Fortifications seem like a really good deal, because you get that roll @5 plus up to 10 infantry get +2.  So that’s 25 pips for $15 (or 50 if the attacker takes 2 turns to take the territory and you get to use the fort a second time).

1. In the setup (v6.1) it says that Switzerland “has 2 fortifications and therefore is used for the second round of combat also” (p. 32).  I assume that means up to 10 infantry get the +2 on the first round and 10 get it on the second round, but do both fortifications get the roll @5 on the first round or does one of them roll on the first round and the other roll on the second round?1 fort each round.

2. In the setup charts it says that Russia can build fortifications for $15.  Can Russia build more than one fortification in a territory like Switzerland has done?  If they can build more than one, can they build them both on the same turn? If you are building forts then only 1 per zone.

3. Does the fortification only give +2 to infantry, or can it give the boost to mechanized infantry or other units?Just infantry….kind of like a strong or well trained Garrison

Thank you

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

awesome.  thanks!

• '14

No prob……Just one more thing to clarify in next year rules update.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Hey Tigerman, I just played my first game yesterday.  I really enjoyed it and I want to say thank you for developing a great game.  It is an awesome advanced-level axis & allies that should keep even the best players challenged for years to come.

I was playing as USSR and our side won!  I Just wanted to give you a few first impressions as newbie player feedback for your interest:

1. I really like some of the mechanics of the game that give you more options (e.g. mechs towing artillery; paratroopers, fortresses)

2. There are a couple of oddities about the map that I don’t like (e.g. Australia and Cairo are far more vulnerable than in the Global 1940 map; only 1 move from USA to Normandy).  Seem to me not enough sea zones in a few areas.

3. Axis have a lot of advantages (e.g. blitzkrieg, sneak attack, banzai, all kinds of special units) and the allies don’t seem to have much going for them.  It feels very weighted toward the axis side.

4. Not all of the powers are equal difficulty to handle.  Each has strengths and weaknesses, but overall I would say the guy who plays UK has a much more difficult job than others do.  Just managing all those economies looks very hard.

5. Germany gets $5 tanks so they can build just tanks and slaughter Russia early. Meanwhile if Russia rolls poorly for income the first few rounds they might not have much to fight back with. Maybe Russia getting $2 infantry could balance that, or more expensive German tanks.  In Global 1940 Germany has to use all 5 kinds of ground units effectively (inf, art, mech, tank, AA) and coordinate air support for combined arms.  In Global War 1939 if Germany can kill Russia just building tanks (less efficient than mech/art combos), then that tells you Russia is too weak.  Another bump might be to give Russia fortresses in Moscow and Stalingrad as well as Leningrad.

6. South Africa as a separate economy means it is a very small economy.  It can’t do much to help defend or liberate Cairo.  It should be part of the UK economy or at least UK should be able to mobilize more units there (mobile ones).

7. USSR needs a minor IC either in Stalingrad or Baku and they can’t afford to build one.  If they one in that area they might be able to send some mobile units down to Cairo.

Again, thanks for all your hard work on this game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m