• Outside of the Aussie fleet, and a usually unviable Indian IC, there isn’t much the allies can do to support the US directly in the Pacific.  Where the UK and russia can easily assist the US against Japan is on the mainland.  
    The Soviets:
    -have a decent amount of inf in the far east that can be used a couple of different ways

• can pump some inf, etc to china quickly
    • can establish flexible zones of control with air
    • can stack the Cauc/ Per easy with inf.  more importantly, tanks stacked in the Cau create a presence without actually commiting to Japan.
      The UK
      -can unite her fleet with the US at SZ 12 and send all that gear towards Persia/India
      -Send fighters to a US carrier and use them in conjunction with the aussie tranny
      -Send the bomber to Asia to bomb IC’s/ harrass Jap shipping/use in conjunction with Aussie fleet

In the end, the advantage is still to the axis, but there are some things you can do to help against Japan a little

The problem is that allies cant direct all their energy towards stopping Japan’s outrageous expansion of the mainland. UK and Russia dont have enough options for fighting a second front against Japan. Yes they have some very limited options but not enough to stop Japan from turning into Godzilla.

ok so i have been playing triplea and your right they all want to use that bid system for the allies so u would think there is a bit of an unblance between allies and axis… the few that keep saying it’s dead even are fine with that statement but  why is it 95% of other people say its axis that are a bit stronger … ive done my number crunches and ive come to axis 54.324 and allies 45.676 with wins so it came to me in a dream last night all we have to do is place 1 single unit and it will even this very close too 50% and that is a UK sub in sea zone 35!

UK sub in 35 is something Ive seen a few times on TripleA. It slows down japan a little since it stops them from taking east indies first turn (which also means japs dont get that NO). However without the bid in Egypt you can almost certainly expect Germany to pulverize Egypt and Japan move into the mediterranean by Round3. Axis control of the suez with an east indies factory is a very tough situation for allies to beat. I dont think id do the sub bid unless you can also put 1 infantry in Egypt (for a total bid of 9). Bid9 is a pretty big bid but I feel allies are at enough of a disadvantage that they need at least a Bid of 8-9 to balance the game.

There are no official bid rules in TripleA, but most players agree on one unit pr. TT.

There are official bid rules for ladder matches. Its one unit per TT and you can only place units in a TT that has existing units belonging to your country.

• Khobai, I think the most unrealistic and/or annoying thing with all the A&A games has been that they start at the pinnacle of Axis power, and puts them in a great position to expand from there.

I mean, the most unrealistic thing is Japan growing so much, so easily.  At least it’s way better than in Revised  :-P
    But hey, you could always make house rules to make the game into whatever you want it to be.  It’s not hard.  And you could probably find people like me to agree to your house rules and play you, if you don’t have people to play F2F.

Sometimes I can’t stomach the whole Japan buying tanks strategy, and rampaging across the Asian continent.  Especially when those pups only cost 5 and attack and defend at 3.  Have you ever seen a powerful Japanese tank?  I haven’t.

• @gamerman01:

Have you ever seen a powerful Japanese tank?  I haven’t.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_90

but not in WW2… :-)

• A testament to the poor quality of Japanese ww2 tanks: Shermans cut them to shreds in combat.

• @xzorn:

A testament to the poor quality of Japanese ww2 tanks: Shermans cut them to shreds in combat.

i heard even a BAR could shoot through the panzer of a japanese tank

• The best winning strat I’ve seen for Allies, is Britain building 3 bombers first turn.  And then proceeding to literally bomb Germany into the stone age every turn.  Gradually building up a Navy to protect 4 transports, since you should be invading every turn with 4 Tanks and 4 infantry.  As soon as you can muster that force of course…Hasn’t failed for me yet.

• in tournament games

i am playing in the final of the DAAK aa50 tournament and the bid for the axis is 8$

that means that the allies got to place 2 inf in egypt

and give 2$ to russia

should make for an interesting game

• Customizer

@chunksoul:

in tournament games

i am playing in the final of the DAAK aa50 tournament and the bid for the axis is 8$

that means that the allies got to place 2 inf in egypt

and give 2$ to russia

should make for an interesting game

Wow… it’s really strange how so many different groups out there approach balance.  Every group I’m in would see that as tipping the balance to the allies.

• '16 '15 '10

I doubt it.  Imho 8 makes for an almost balanced game, but not quite.  9-11 is more like it. Axis seems favored in the Chunksoul’s bid scenario, especially if they can take advantage of Russia not getting bid units.

2 inf in Egypt (or 3) isn’t enough to wall off Egypt against a 1-2-3 attack by Axis on Round 1-2.  So Allies have to give it up or get smashed.

• @Zhukov44:

2 inf in Egypt (or 3) isn’t enough to wall off Egypt against a 1-2-3 attack by Axis on Round 1-2.  So Allies have to give it up or get smashed.

Are you implying that Germany should still attack Egypt with 2 bid units?

If not, then those units can move to safety in trj, away from German pressure G2… that would preclude a 1-2-3 attack.

• '16 '15 '10

@axis_roll:

@Zhukov44:

Are you implying that Germany should still attack Egypt with 2 bid units?

If not, then those units can move to safety in trj, away from German pressure G2… that would preclude a 1-2-3 attack.

Right.  It would be mistaken to think a bid of 2-3 units to Egypt is sufficient to actually stay in Egypt on UK1.  This is why I prefer to split the bid (just putting 1 in Egy) but this isn’t w/o risk as Germany is still 40% to clear Egy G1 in that scenario.

• Customizer

@Zhukov44:

I doubt it.  Imho 8 makes for an almost balanced game, but not quite.  9-11 is more like it. Axis seems favored in the Chunksoul’s bid scenario, especially if they can take advantage of Russia not getting bid units.

Hmm… in my games (not online), I don’t “doubt it” because I’ve seen otherwise - and the Allies have still managed to win several times.  Of course, I think there is a lot of variables that aren’t being considered.  A lot of people are too busy being bean counters to take these into consideration. Experience of players - not just overall but that edition in particular, whether they read all the posts concerning the game, of course NO’s and Tech., age of players, victory conditions, alcohol (eh eh eh), how many players, “in person” as opposed to online, comparison to online games that are always 1 vs. 1, etc.

• 3 is enough for balance and I’d play out of box and still have fun and think its balanced.
    Also a side note on allies have to be lucky in order to smash japan in the pacific.
    The key is that allies choses if they go after japan in the pacific or not dependning on how round 1 rolls goes.
    The allies go position in that regard and thats worth more then many people understad when it comes to balance.

• Hello. And Bye.

• Hello. And Bye.

• Customizer

@wrath3:

The key is that allies choses if they go after japan in the pacific or not dependning on how round 1 rolls goes.
    The allies go position in that regard and thats worth more then many people understad when it comes to balance.

Very true.

• TripleA

9-11 bid is given to allies in dice games for a reason.
    13 bid is given to allies in low luck games for a reason.

• Customizer

@Cow:

9-11 bid is given to allies in dice games for a reason.
    13 bid is given to allies in low luck games for a reason.

Online, on this forum, yep.

• TripleA

TripleA games as well… though it has risen to 13 for dice games, which is kind of brutal sometimes. Since axis tend to lose a 95% chance to win battle (Japan and Germany have over 10 attacks, bound to get diced in one or two of em).

If I only had a dollar for every time 1 sub 1 fighter 1 bomber failed to sink UK’s battleship or 2 subs and a fighter when I randomly do egypt instead (yeah it is easier to retreat after losing 2 subs without a hit, so you don’t air at risk).

• 0,95^10 = 0,6 so its only 40 % chance you fail one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m