• I can’t find the answer to this;

When a battleship is damaged (once hit & flipped on it’s side), does it then lose it’s ability to conduct shore bombardment or not? I guess it will keep that ability, because I can’t find text in the rulebook claiming otherwise. If that is indeed the case, this would be incorrect in my opinion, because a damaged carrier does lose abilities…

Could someone help me out?

Thnx

• Official Q&A

A battleship loses none of its capabilities when it takes its first hit (other than the ability to take two hits).  This is reflective of the fact that battleships can take more punishment than carriers.

• Okay.

As far as I understand it, territories have 3 possible statuses:

1. friendly: can be entered without combat
    2. hostile: can be entered with combat
    3. neutral: cannot be entered (without declaration of war, making it hostile)

Now in the FAQ/errata, Krieghund says that Axis ships are free to mingle with Allied ships (and vice versa), and share sea zones before war is declared. And yet, while the Allies and Axis are not yet ‘hostile’ powers in the Pacific in 1940, it is fair to say that they are not ‘friendly’ either.

My intuition is that they should be labelled ‘neutral’, and thus that you should be able to block the naval movement of other neutral powers by placing your own surface warships in their paths, and that neutral powers should not be allowed to have surface warships off of territories controlled by other neutral powers. After all, it would have been a BIG provocation to war if Japan just parked the IJN off the west coast of the US in '40, alongside American naval units…

So my question is: Is there no such thing as a ‘neutral’ sea zone? And if not, why not? It would certainly seem to make a good deal of sense…

• It would be too gamey, remember the size of a SZ is huge and could easily fit boats from both sides without them being next to eachother.  If it was the way you suggest, the US could block japan movement along the coast before war, which would be broken.

• It would be too gamey

This is a game, after all.  :roll:

the size of a SZ is huge and could easily fit boats from both sides without them being next to eachother

The Western US is huge too. Presumably the Japanese could drop a few divisions off in the forests of Oregon and no one would notice. Why don’t we let infiltration on the ground occur as well as in the sea? Answer: because the status of the territory matters in the game called Axis and Allies. As should the status of the sea zones. Which was the point of my question, that you seemed to miss.

If it was the way you suggest, the US could block japan movement along the coast before war, which would be broken.

How would this be broken? Why the ^&*$ would Japan need to put its navy off the US coast pre-DoW? I just don’t see it; sorry.

• The asia coast, with the DD from SZ 35!  Do you not see how much that would change the game if unhostile boats blocked movement?  It would be huge, japan would be forced to attack J1 or get bottled up and unable to move.

• Japan moves first; it could block Allied movement along the Asian coastline. So your objection is not a real problem, at least for Japan. I suspect it’s not a real problem for the UK/ANZAC either; it might simply motivate them to declare war earlier.

Have you actually played this game yet?

• @Make_It_Round:

Japan moves first; it could block Allied movement along the Asian coastline. So your objection is not a real problem, at least for Japan. I suspect it’s not a real problem for the UK/ANZAC either; it might simply motivate them to declare war earlier.

Have you actually played this game yet?

No I have not had a chance to play yet, hoping someone will take me up with my abattlemap offer.  But I do not need to play it to see the nightmare that would cause, why don’t you try a game with those rules and if you like them, then use them as your house rules.  But that would just cause a mess with no true benefit to the game.

• Of course you’re entitled to your (uninformed) opinion on this matter. So, we clearly have nothing further to gain discussing it.

[Just noticed that the karma gods are seemingly with me on this one… strangely gratifying :-D]

• According to the rulebook, sea zones are either friendly or hostile.

Friendly sea zones contain no surface warships belonging to a power with which you are at war.

Hostile sea zones contain surface warships belonging to a power with which you are at war (this does not include submarines and transports).

So it looks like as long as you are not at war with (insert country), it looks like your navy can pass through.

Sorry unless Krieghund or the Errata change this, this is what is in the rulebooks for now.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yes, Unoffical FAQ concurs. Powers not at war, can occupy the same seazone freely.

• I got the game yesterday and even after reading the rule book I am unsure how airplanes work.
    Which units can they attack and can the attacked units defend (without an AA gun).
    1. Can fighters, tactical & strategic bombers attack land units?

For example:
    If britain have 1 tank in one terrirory can Japan send a fighter and a tactical bomber to attack it?

• When the rules say that “You can never use an industrial complexes that you captured or purchased this turn” does that apply to upgrades from minor to major ICs?  Specifically, on the turn you upgrade an IC can you also build there based on the three capacity of the minor IC being upgraded or does the act of upgrading render that territory “neutered” for creating any new units that turn?  Thanks!

• Sorry, nevermind…just saw this in the Errata:

Q.  If I upgrade a minor industrial complex to a major one, how many units can it mobilize on the same turn that it’s upgraded?
    A.  Three.  Just as you can’t mobilize units from a new industrial complex, you can’t use the increased mobilization capacity from the upgrade until your next turn.

• Official Q&A

@redcloud:

I got the game yesterday and even after reading the rule book I am unsure how airplanes work.
    Which units can they attack and can the attacked units defend (without an AA gun).
    1. Can fighters, tactical & strategic bombers attack land units?

For example:
    If britain have 1 tank in one terrirory can Japan send a fighter and a tactical bomber to attack it?

Air units can hit, and be hit by, any other units, with one exception.  Subs may never hit air units, and air units may hit subs only if there is a destroyer friendly to the air units in the battle.

• Just to be sure….

I guess it’s possible for the USA to built a minor IC in FIC, if recaptured from the Japs and controlled by them.

Correct?

• @Krieghund:

@Stoney229:

Can a sub fire on lone transport if the 2 powers are not at war?  if it can, is it a declaration of war?  If so, would this still be true of a USA sub and Jap transport?  Although the USA cannot attack until it is at war, it seems in this situation it is more of a defensive “attack” than an offensive one.

A power other than the US would be able to do this under any circumstances.  The US would not be able to do it, however a combat movement by Japan that resulted in a state war with the US would free the US to respond in this manner.

I hope this does not mean on J1 the Japanese sub can wipe out the lone transport at Hawaii, without causing war with the USA?

• The last sentence, was my question…not a quote.

• How does chinese recruitment work? I thought I read somewhere that they can purchase infantry without
    owning an industrial complex.

• China purchases units by using IPCs it collects.  It can only purchase infantry, unless the Burma road is open then it can also purchase artillery.  It can then place these units in any of the territories controlled by China, including ones that China captured in the current turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m