• Official Q&A

@djensen:

5. A fighter unit is not required for a Kamakazi, correct? It’s just a “special rule?”

Correct.

• Official Q&A

@Funcioneta:

@Krieghund:

@djensen:

1. China cannot attack Mongolia because it does not have a National China marker on the territory. Correct?

Correct

OK, and invisible irreal ilogical ACME wall give us again the first bug of the game: Japan can attack Mongolia and create a place from where they can attack chinamen but chinamen cannot attack Japan once more  :x It’s a setback from old AAPacific

Chinese units may not move outside China (except for Kwangtung and Burma).  As in AA50, this represents the fact that the Chinese are too involved in their own civil war to concern themselves with external matters other than defending their country against the Japanese invaders.

• Founder TripleA Admin

6. Are convoys are confusing?

Here are the questions? I’m playing as Japan.

A. Can I move into a space has a convoy adjacent to an Allied power coast/island and not be declaring war?
    B. Can I move into a space has a convoy adjacent to both an Allied power and Axis power and not declare war?
    C. During the collect income phase if I have, say a sub, in a convoy space adjacent to an enemy coastline, do they loose income even though I did not meet the conditions of “attacking a convoy?”
    D. How do the “attacking” a convoy rules in combat move and combat apply to the rules about losing income at during the collect income phase?
    E. Is “attacking” a convoy an act of war?

There are 3 of us and we’re all lost on these rules.

• Jensen,

How many tact bombers does Japan have in the set??

How many do you think are needed??

This is exactly why I preordered 2 of them- WOTC/AH especially of late (ex. AA1942) seem to be cheaping out on their products- you can tell they cut some corners in Pacific40 also. :-(

• Official Q&A

@djensen:

A. Can I move into a space has a convoy adjacent to an Allied power coast/island and not be declaring war?

Yes, you can, if you don’t actually attack it.

@djensen:

B. Can I move into a space has a convoy adjacent to both an Allied power and Axis power and not declare war?

Yes, you can, if you don’t actually attack it.

@djensen:

C. During the collect income phase if I have, say a sub, in a convoy space adjacent to an enemy coastline, do they loose income even though I did not meet the conditions of “attacking a convoy?”

No.  You must meet the conditions.

@djensen:

D. How do the “attacking” a convoy rules in combat move and combat apply to the rules about losing income at during the collect income phase?

Convoy attacks occur only during the Collect Income phase of the attacked power.  The amount of the convoy attack is subtracted from the income collected.

@djensen:

E. Is “attacking” a convoy an act of war?

Yes.

• djensen, can you (or Krieg) post the conditions of attacking convoys that you are referring to.
    It sounds like subs alone can’t attack a convoy zone, which doesn’t make sense, as subs did a lot of damage to merchant shipping.
    Do you announce a convoy attack in your turn or wait until you enemies turn (collect income phase).

Finally if the enemy moves into one of your convoy zones and meats the above mentioned conditions, but you clear the zone in your combat phase then there would be no attack/payment right?

• djensen I was following your game on twitter.
    rd 2 UK declared war on Japan and attacked Siam.
    rd 3 Japan counter attacked Siam and also invaded the unprotected Dutch Isles. (do the English get control of these islands if liberated).

At this point UK & Japan are at war, but the USA isn’t ? I thought that an attack on the Britts automatically brought the USA in to the war. According to your post the USA didn’t declare war till the end of its turn in rd3. Is that by rule or could the US made an attack on Japan or did they simply not have units in range. After that rd 4 Japan invaded Phil etc.

PS: Thanks for your post and putting your first game online. I know it must be tough fielding all these questions. I try to keep mine on what your doing at the time. Krieg has been a big help answering questions so you can keep on doing what you need to.

• @Krieghund:

Chinese units may not move outside China (except for Kwangtung and Burma).  As in AA50, this represents the fact that the Chinese are too involved in their own civil war to concern themselves with external matters other than defending their country against the Japanese invaders.

Bla bla bla … you can think chinamen would attack japanese troops outside China if they were to attack China, and also lone trannies at chinese coast  :-P Other thing is that China had territorial claims on Mongolia in that time, go figure!

And why made pay only to China? If China gets ilogic limits, why not make all China non-blitzable? After all, they were non-industrial mountain zones, uh?

My main complain, however, is balance issues: axis can exploit this rule at pleasure landing lone bomber at FIC, sneaking merry italians or germans from Kaz/Cau/Per to chinese rear or, surprise, enter Mongolia and create a safe front for japs to attack. It’s even more funny when japs arrive to novo and attack China from the rear. It’s a gamey exploit, and the only solution is quit those irreal walls

The right dinamic was old AAPacific, this is a setback. The minimal approach was letting chinamen attack axis held territory or sea zones, mainly to prevent exploits, but also for historical accuracy (Burma not attacked in AA50, come on!) and war logic

• Thanks Yope that that makes sense now.

• The fact is : If Japan can go to nov and attack China from behind, Russia is in deep trouble…

China was never meant to be a real power, I think, to the game designers. There are already 3 major allies, against 3 (or 2) major axis. China seems to be a little bit stronger just to slow down Japan. We still don’t have the game right now, so we can’t really say if China is better now or before. Give the game a chance.

• Regarding China, I agree with Omega. Can’t pass judgment on something I have not played yet. I know AA50 had flaws w/China, Larry even acknowledged it.

When things calm down he might look in to a reprint of AA50 w/some minor adjustments regarding China, and put out a faq for games already out there. Maybe he is waiting for feed back on AA40 to see how it plays out. It could be a while. I really don’t see him budging on Chinese leaving China with the exception of adding Burma.

AA40 has already addressed 4 of the major problems w/China in AA50.

1. China can now fight in Burma.
    2. Flying Tiger is protected and will live past rd 1.
    3. China has a chance to build art to give it more attack abilities (via Burma road) along with the tiger.
    4. Limit removed from Chinese placement (no more 2-3 rule)

There is progress, the glass is 1/2 full IMO not 1/2 empty (or maybe I’m just an optimist).
    I would also think in the global game China might be scaled back a bit as far as units at setup (hope not to much). It will be up to its allies to keep the Burma Road open and China in the game longer. UK & Russia should play a big roll, or at least they will in my games. China should not be a stand alone power.

• Probably a stupid question but it is actually a carry-over from my AA50 games (hope it hasn’t already been addressed :oops:):
    Can the Allies send units to reinforce China or are they on-their-own?

• I’m assuming so. At least in djensen’s game the USA player took Korea and then liberated manchuria for china.

• Founder TripleA Admin

If Japan attacks anybody but China and French Indo-China, they declare war on everybody. If UK attacks Japan, then only Japan and UK/ANZAC are at war. USA cannot attack Japan and declares war just before the collect income stage of round 3.

@WILD:

djensen I was following your game on twitter.
    rd 2 UK declared war on Japan and attacked Siam.
    rd 3 Japan counter attacked Siam and also invaded the unprotected Dutch Isles. (do the English get control of these islands if liberated).

At this point UK & Japan are at war, but the USA isn’t ? I thought that an attack on the Britts automatically brought the USA in to the war. According to your post the USA didn’t declare war till the end of its turn in rd3. Is that by rule or could the US made an attack on Japan or did they simply not have units in range. After that rd 4 Japan invaded Phil etc.

PS: Thanks for your post and putting your first game online. I know it must be tough fielding all these questions. I try to keep mine on what your doing at the time. Krieg has been a big help answering questions so you can keep on doing what you need to.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I had to switch to email to make it easier on me so there was another round of questions that made it clear.

The determination of “attacking” a convoy is made in the Collect Income phase of the country being attacked. You check for a set of pre-conditions, if they are met, the attacking player must then decide if they want to attack the convoy or not. You might not want to attack the convoy to prevent a declaration of war.

@WILD:

djensen, can you (or Krieg) post the conditions of attacking convoys that you are referring to.
    It sounds like subs alone can’t attack a convoy zone, which doesn’t make sense, as subs did a lot of damage to merchant shipping.
    Do you announce a convoy attack in your turn or wait until you enemies turn (collect income phase).

Finally if the enemy moves into one of your convoy zones and meats the above mentioned conditions, but you clear the zone in your combat phase then there would be no attack/payment right?

• @Omega:

The fact is : If Japan can go to nov and attack China from behind, Russia is in deep trouble…

China was never meant to be a real power, I think, to the game designers. There are already 3 major allies, against 3 (or 2) major axis. China seems to be a little bit stronger just to slow down Japan. We still don’t have the game right now, so we can’t really say if China is better now or before. Give the game a chance.

OK, something to say here. I’m not saying China is unplayable in this new game, it’s obvious it’s far better than in AA41 (that phantasy scenario). Still, it’s not the better they can do: I think a AAPacific (the old) dinamic (I mean: no irreal walls) was better to prevent exploits. While China will do something in this new game (even something good), it’s going to be annoying see that invisible wall again for no solid reason, specially in Indochina and Mongolia, areas where China probably would have some interest to attack them, specially with japs inside

Well, they can delete the ACME wall in global game. Some hope left I guess …

• Founder TripleA Admin

I thought this was answer but the answer is yes. The Allies can put units into China but they do not become Chinese.

@Hellmet:

Probably a stupid question but it is actually a carry-over from my AA50 games (hope it hasn’t already been addressed :oops:):
    Can the Allies send units to reinforce China or are they on-their-own?

• Would it be possible to post the rules?

• Thanks for the answers “djensen” and “bennyboyg!”  In AA50 it was very explicit that the US Fighter based in China, representing the Flying Tigers, could not be replaced by the US if it was destroyed.  Consequently, we thought that additional Allied troops also could not be sent to reinforce China.  Is there a similar Rule in AAP40 about the Fighter based in Szechwan??

• Founder TripleA Admin

The fighter belongs to the Chinese player. This is the one and only fighter the Chinese can control during the entire game.

@Hellmet:

Thanks for the answers “djensen” and “bennyboyg!”  In AA50 it was very explicit that the US Fighter based in China, representing the Flying Tigers, could not be replaced by the US if it was destroyed.  Consequently, we thought that additional Allied troops also could not be sent to reinforce China.  Is there a similar Rule in AAP40 about the Fighter based in Szechwan??

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m