• Greetings to the entire board! This is my first post, and hopefully one of many. If you check my signature you will see the background of a keen, skilled and hardcore wargamer  :evil:

I have recently purchased A&A50 and I love it. I’ve been playing a Pbem version for a month or so as my copy has taken forever to ship itself from the US to Godzone. (That’s local slang for New Zealand, Aoetearoa or middle earth, whatever you want to call the country i live in  :-D )

Now my gaming group did not like A&A classic, and have not played revised. Any suggestions on how to get them over the “A&A had issues but A&A50 is way better” hurdle?

Thank you all for any advice, and i hope to become a contributing member of the site.

• i think that if they played 1 game of AA50 they would know how much the gameplay has improved from revised,
    there are a lot more option’s, more territories, revised unit cost, improved sub’s, cruiser unit, 2 set up option’s,
    with these improvement’s, i think that the game has more scope and scale, without drawing out the game time,
    more strategic option’s, 3 axis vs 3 allies, the axis does not have to attack, attack, attack, from round 1,
    more victory cities, new technology, national objectives

• Welcome ithkrall!

I don’t know if I can give you any tips other than try to make the first time or two playing very fun, interesting, and not too long.  The 30-minutes for 1 nation’s turn, hard thought-out strategy can come later.

Also, if you have a little extra time, try out the PBF (Play by forum) using Battlemap here on this website.  After learning the ropes a little, it’s actually pretty fun.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Ithkrall!

d142 has made a good start, but perhaps it would help us to help you if you told us what it was about A&A Classic that your group didn’t like.

• @Krieghund:

Welcome, Ithkrall!

d142 has made a good start, but perhaps it would help us to help you if you told us what it was about A&A Classic that your group didn’t like.

Bingo!  That’s what I was going to ask.

• The main objections were how un fun it was to play the Soviets, how the game was pretty stacked against the axis (they could win, but only if they played really well), and the slow pace.

• does your group Haka before a match?  :wink:  sigh If I only had some money to go to New Zealand…from what I have seen its absolute paradise!  welcome to AA50,ithkrall !!  its the best of the lot…

• @ithkrall:

The main objections were how un fun it was to play the Soviets

Soviets have money now.

@ithkrall:

how the game was pretty stacked against the axis

Not anymore, if anything, its currently the reverse for the metagame.

@ithkrall:

and the slow pace.

That’s not the fault of the boardgame is it, is the fault of the players for being too slow.  If a player is taking too long, all the other players should start humming the jeopardy theme song.

That said, TripleA plays way faster (no setup, no book-keeping, dice rolled for you), they still need to get AA50 to work.

• Welcome ithkrall,

I have some suggestions;
    To speed game play-try optional rule;
    All Axis move at once in one round, then all Allies move at once in one round, that completed one turn.  Rinse Repeat;Players are always involved-no waiting.
    This convinced my gaming group to play, they now love the game. 
    I have posted this idea before, it is not my idea, comes from AAHRE, the historic version of AA(see House Rules this forum.)

Print up some optional rules (see House Rules) or National Advantages listed in AARevised rule book, ask the players if any of those ideas would appeal to them,
    this allows the players to customize the game to their own play style and
    gives them a stake in how the game is played.
    Provide a 3 minute timer, for conferences prior to each move- provides a team feel for your two Alliances.

weekends leading up to the game you may _view some old war movie_s to provide atmosphere, topics of what if.
    Props are good, have any- can be models, minis or objects from time period.

We have found it is not just the game, but the time period, what was going on, its a weekend or several hours of stepping back in time-have fun.

• Oh I like the costume, props idea

We are going to do an themed Arkham Horror costume night so that might be right up peoples alleys.

Ill hunt downs those national rules as well

Cheers

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m