• TG Moses VI,

suggestion, modify first post of this thread.  Data track totals;

Qty of Games/ Axis Wins / Allies Wins / Major Strategy
    or something to this effect, if you wouldn’t mind.

• Great!  Thanks for all the reviews thus far, I had fun reading them.

Oh, I also included a separate box so you could link your games to the actual threads where you talk about them.  That way these quick reviews can read more like abstracts.

Bluestroke,

Qty of Games/ Axis Wins / Allies Wins / Major Strategy
    or something to this effect, if you wouldn’t mind.

Done.  I neglected to include Major Strategies because, other then KGF, I don’t know what to call any of the other strategies

• Also, I’ve been thinking: Do you guys prefer a specific way of organizing the After Action Reports? 
    I’m fine collecting them in the original post for now, but if it grows to be too big, people will have to scroll down a lot to get to the newer reviews they want to read.

Or would you rather have one Review per post?  That way the most current reviews are easiest to access.  This does have the downside of not being sorted based on 1941 or 1942 scenarios.

• Title: The Rising Sun

Date: 11/29/2008

Setup: NOs+techs   1941 scenario

Victor: Axis win, ended with Japan sacking Moscow

Game length: lost track of rounds. 7 1/2 hours!!

Bias: Nearly equal skill level. I would be more experienced. I played Allies and lost

Description: The germans took Karelia, Baltic States, West Poland, and Ukraine all round 1. Soviets were not equipped to counter all of this. The germans took karelia with all that could reach, and had only one loss. I could not retake my IC for some time. I purchased 2 fighters with russia right off the bat. I figured the only way to fend off the german onslaught would be to swap as many NO terrorities i could with as efficient TUV trades as i could manage. Russia got bad dice early, and it looked like it would be a quick defeat. In the pacific theater, I was looking for a way for the US to contend. Japan killed the battleship at pearl as expected. However, they left my destroyer/tran alive off of LA. (I think i would have sent two fighters to kill these targets. just need one hit to kill both ships worth 15 ipcs). My opponent made an error by leaving his ACs at pearl, and giving me plenty of firepower to counter. I wiped out 2 ACs and 4 planes round 1. You would think that this start encouraged a US KJF strat. A few reasons i did not go this way. I did manage to surive the AC from my pearl counter. However, i was still far behind the japanese naval power. And they equaled US production r2 or 3, and surpassed it soon after that. The japanese naval strength, combined with germany’s aggressive strat (He bought many tanks, and tried to finsh russia quickly) forced me to go to the atlantic exclusively with the US. Allied pressure in Africa and WE soon wore on the German offensive. What looked like a quick russian defeat, soon shifted. Italy was not used effectively by my opponent, and they never contended much in africa. I did buy an Indian IC for the brits, and kept AE well defended. This game was very close, and took forever. Germany began to turtle in the late rounds, and Russia started to collect all of its NO bonus. Allies had a foothold in WE, and UK just took Italy, WHEN, Japan couldnt be stopped in taking moscow witha huge stack of tanks.

Observations/recommendations: The game does seem to favor the Axis, however, in the game I played, the allies could have had a victory. they were delayed by lucky axis dice, as well as early UK naval losses due to lucky dice in an German air attack. I was hoping that the US could contend in the pacific. It does not appear to me they could. A more experienced Japanese player would not let his ACs be slaughtered. With the HUGE lead in naval power, three FULLY loaded ACs!!! BB and cruiser!! 5 trans!!! And the exponentially growing production, the US CANNOT handle the Japanese by themselves. NO WAY! I was shocked to see how weak the US was to start the game! However, the UK start out as a monster in production. 43!!! So i do believe that there may be a combined allied approach in the pacific that could bottle up japan. It would be very difficult, but i see the potential. For one, the japanese strength is far north of the Indian Ocean to start, and a sea zone was added. If the UK did a double IC in India/Austrlia  or India/SA and built up a navy, at the same time, the US built up navy in hopes of combining their fleets before the japs could crush either. umm, it might work. But would it be more efficient then just killing italy first?  i dont think so.

• @TG:

Or would you rather have one Review per post?  That way the most current reviews are easiest to access.  This does have the downside of not being sorted based on 1941 or 1942 scenarios.

That would need a separate subforum, I think. I like it, I enjoy HOI2 AARs and A&A AARs can be super fun

• Maybe the moderators can see to that?

Since I can already see this thread is getting out of hand (in a good way), I’m going to refrain from including everyone’s game summaries in the original post.  We’ll have to wait for a better solution before we can work towards ordering everything.  I’ll still keep track of games stats however.

• AxisOfEvil,

If the UK did a double IC in India/Austrlia  or India/SA and built up a navy, at the same time, the US built up navy in hopes of combining their fleets before the japs could crush either. umm, it might work. But would it be more efficient then just killing italy first?  i dont think so.

Yeah, probably not.  Australia looks defensible since the Japanese fleet would be out of position, but it’s a heavy investment to build only two units a turn.  Good try though.  Thanks for the game report.  We’ll see if this is the natural order of the game.

• 2007 AAR League

@TG:

Also, I’ve been thinking: Do you guys prefer a specific way of organizing the After Action Reports? 
    I’m fine collecting them in the original post for now, but if it grows to be too big, people will have to scroll down a lot to get to the newer reviews they want to read.

Well, you just alluded to the solution, I think. Why don’t you just make 2 threads, one for 41’ and one for 42’.  Once a general consensus on the final AAR layout has been reached here, you can make the 2 separate threads and ask the people who have already posted their AAR’s here to copy and delete them from here and move them to the appropriate new one.

I don’t think that scrolling to find the new stuff is the biggest problem. I think the biggest problem is that this thread has become diluted with the mixture of discussion, 41’ scenarios, and 42’ scenarios which makes it hard to find something specific that you may be looking for.

You could even leave this thread open as the discussion thread. That way the 2 dedicated AAR threads won’t be diluted with discussion.

• Good idea.  :-D 
    We’ll wait until after you guys feel like this thread has reached critical mass before we start chopping heads off and splitting threads apart.

• Title:  Axis Revenge (2v2, my teammate and I lost the last game we played against these two opponents, one of them is his wife)
    Date: 12-5-08 through 12-6-08 
    Special Rules: 1941 NO’s and Tech
    Victor:  Axis. We were playing for 15 VC’s but when we, the Axis, got to 14 and controlled everything except N. & S. America and UK, the allies conceeded.
    Game Length: 8hrs, can’t remeber the number of turns.
    Bias: It was a 2v2 and each team had a new and experienced player(the new players had played before but only once or twice). The Ger/It player (myself) may have had the most knowledge because I read these forums almost every day and the other 3 actually have a real life.
    Description:   Everybody was trying to get tech in a slow progressive way (buying 1 researcher/turn). Ger took Moscow after about 7 hrs then lost Berlin to the UK 1.5 turns later, Italy liberated it the same turn. The mechanized inf made it possible to make one last lunge at Moscow before the defensive purchases had to begin. Japan didn’t go after the US fleet at all on the first turn, this lead to a huge American fleet in the Pacific. The U.S. retreated to the Atlantic after Japan got 12 supersubs (this was just before Ger took Moscow and why Ger went into def. mode). Japan finally killed off China the turn after Russia went down and attempted a mad dash to support Ger, but they never got there. There were no specific “recognizable” strategies used, as we were letting the newer players discover their own strategies as opposed to giving them instructions (although, there were key situations when they were under orders)! The allies were using a lot of bombers and weren’t getting tech as fast as Axis. On one turn Ger had to repair 3 IC’s before I could place new units. Italy was a very small thorn in the side of Russia. Italy finally focused on Africa after Russia was killed. The Uk/Russian player was frustrated by the Italian fleet and tried sinking it twice but only got 1 of the Cruisers, and that was because it was alone.
    Observations/Recommendations:  The tech made the game for Germany. Mech inf, increased production, and heavy bombers. Japan got super subs but never fired a shot, and mech inf, but the game ended before they ever used the ability. America got Jet fighters and, unfortunately for them, radar. Uk got heavy bombers, but was only able to use 2 bombers in this role, and only once. Russia also had mech inf (my dice must roll lots of 6’s) but it wasn’t used much. Russia launched several infantry only attacks against Germany, maybe he should have held out longer before attacking, if he would have, this game would have been much longer.

All-in-all we had a great time and we won’t be starting our next game at 9:00 in the evening. I didn’t get home until 5:30 in the morning. It was fun watching the new players getting the hang of it, and learning more about AA:50 myself.

• Title:  First Time AA50 Disappointment (1941)
    Date:  Dec. 1 to Dec 5
    Special Rules:  NO, Tech
    Victor:  Draw agreed by both players due to boredom and disappointment 
    Game Length:  5th Rounds, we’ve been playing one round per day every evening.
    Bias:  1 vs 1. Allied played a little bit more experienced.
    Description
    Both players tried to play historically.
    Allied decided that USA should stand up against Japan instead of pushing for a KGF or KIF. UK was left alone to push against Germany and Italy. USSR usual role: survive.
    Axis: Japan focused on the Pacific. Germany made a couple of early mistakes like didn’t sink most of the British fleet.
    Britain bought a Factory in India, which was a bad idea because Japan captured it on a very tied battle – I knew it was a bad idea, but I wanted to try.
    Russia rolled for tech and got Increased Industrial Capacity. Japan got super-subs and Improved Navy Yards later on.
    Japan become a giant monster by turn 3.
    USA had to abandon the Pacific.
    By end of round 5 Germans had taken Karelia. Western Allies had taken France (firmly), and were threatening Italy. Japan was controlling all Asia, and starting moving against USSR and Africa.
    Then we call it a draw.
    Observations/Recommendations
    National Objectives didn’t lead to a more historical game (which is supposed to be their goal). Instead of that, and after trying a couple of turns, Allies moved to KGF, and Japan turned against Moscow. Only they did was causing inflation and mass production for Japan. They’ve been a great disappointment.
    Japan gets too strong too fast. 
    USSR is too weak. It needs at least a fighter. Maybe the ability of moving its factories.
    USA can’t fight two fronts at the same time – actually, it can’t even fight the Pacific alone.

• It seems like techs are having too much influence on the game.  :|

In the original A&A tech rolls were rarely bought, it was equivalent to throwing money in a hole, and they never swung the outcome of the game (Exception: Heavy Bombers).

After reading these last few gaming reports and seeing how awesome tech can be (Japan unlocking Supersubs/Shipyards, Germany Increased Production/Mech Infantry, Allies Heavy Bombers), unlocking tech can render you or your opponent’s current strategy impotent.  They swing the game.

Todd7912,
    Sound like you had a lot of fun.  A wild game with lots of momentum changes.  Usually if you find yourself coming home at 5:30 that’s a good thing.  :wink:

• We did have a great time.

As far as the US retreat from the pacific…they could have stood up to Japan, they had several dd, 2 or 3 cruisers, at least 2 bb, 1 cv, 2 ftr, plus 2 ftr and a bmb on hawaii, and more ftr in W US.(They never even considered a dd screen) At that point three things happened to cause US to run…1)Russia was about to get hit and Germany was sinking the UK fleet every time it got deployed (heavy bombers for Ger weren’t in play at this point), so the allies needed help.  2)The 12 super subs were the equivalent of a nuclear deterent. 3)The US players personal desire not to loose their fleet.

I agree that tech is powerful and comes into play more often than we would expect or maybe even want. I think part of the reason there was so much tech in our game was that it was a new way to do it and we all remember the wasted money spent in past games and we wanted to see some redemption. My guess is that tech will hopefully settle out and not be used as much. Maybe, maybe not. I know I won’t use as much with Germany again. I needed more land units. If the Soviet Union played more defensively I might still not be home yet…

• '22 '19 '18

Title: Allied Domination (1941)

Date: Nov 25, 2008

Special Rules: NO & Tech

Victor: Allies with 13 VC

Game Length: 4 hours/ 4 or 5 rounds

Bias: 3 vs 3; Allies had 2 very experienced players with a first timer and axis had one experienced player as italy and two less capable players

Description: Japan was very poorly played, only attacking one chinese territory on T1 and attacking Hawaii on T1 (battle lost) and leaving 2 carriers with four planes and a destroyer and 2 trans of Hawaii coast, all of which were destroyed on USA T1.  Britian got heavy bombers on T1 and Germany got Industrial Tech on T3.  Germany took Karelia on T2, but Russia rolled lights out and only let Germany with 2 tanks on the whole eastern front.  Italy was pretty much a non factor.
    Axis never took Egypt, but Australia and India did fall on round 4 to Japan, but it was to little to late.

Observation/Rec: This game was over after round 1 due to poor axis strategy and planning.  Allies had some great dice rolling on T1 and T2 which made it more difficult for the axis.  Japan got very big even after their terrible T1 moves and America focused all attention on Japan having 3 big naval battles with them (Japan won 2 of 3).  We all liked the NOs and think the new way of Tech developement is the best method to date.

• 1942 gets no love…

Cond1024,
    Seeing as how the Axis had one experienced player and two newbies, wouldn’t it make more sense for the experienced player to take control of Germany (or at least Japan) instead of Italy?

• hey, i reported on a '42 game  :-P

Stickied the thread until we find out if there is a better way of doing this.

BTW, this is a great thread idea.

• Sweetness!  Thanks Darth.  :-D

+1 Homeboy

• '22 '19 '18

Cond1024,
    Seeing as how the Axis had one experienced player and two newbies, wouldn’t it make more sense for the experienced player to take control of Germany (or at least Japan) instead of Italy?

Since it was a new game we decided to do a random draw for countries.  The other two axis players weren’t newbies, they just aren’t as strategy minded as the Italian player was.  We decided after this game to not do random draws anymore!!

• I think that Italy should always be played by some one who wants it or a newbie in AA world et some one not very experienced or played by germany……never draw from a randomly play

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m