AARHE "Official" piece colors

• many thanks IL.  Did you see the posted individual nation NAs under the “check list topic”?  they’re done.  Will have  a master index in a few days.  All you need to do is add any graphics.

• Yes sir!

I need to get MS office, my new computer only had it on a subscription for 60 days. Ill will get it Saturday and begin work. Good job .

• @oldsalty:

Also, being in the US where we don’t know our mm’s from our cm’s, how does a 15mm compare in height to a OOB AAR infantry?

Moin!

My favorite site for 1/72 soldiers is http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Manufacturers.html.

I thought they had a page that compared the measurements, but all I could find is http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Features/Size.html

It doesn’t really compare 1/72 with 15mm sadly.

IL uses some 15mm in his games and they are quite spectacular.  You can get an idea of how they look with other pieces at his site under “Battle of the Bulge” (e.g., http://advancedaxisandallies.com/page24.html ).

The OOB pieces are roughly 1/72 scale.  15mm is about half that size.  However, I’m considering switching just becasue the oldgloryminiatures looks so cool and are very affordable.  (n.b., their 1/72 guys are phenomenally sculpted though – and they have leaders!  Just a bit pricey.).

I had already bought all the armies (and painted them) before IL pointed me to oldgloryminiatures, so I’m having a hard time justifying buying brand new armies.

Just the weight of the pieces alone would e nice.  Metal is so much nicer than plastic.

Enjoy the day!

• They are $13.00 per bag of 50 and you only need 5-6 bags total.

If you want to save a bit, then UK and USA can use British pieces (saving one bag)

Also German and Italian can use same bag

so thats 4 bags x 13 bucks=$52.00

• IL:  Is that your site?  I’ve been on it before.  Interesting game senerios.

Is 15mm really 1/2 size of AAR oob pieces?  That’s pretty small but the detail of skyteck/old glory look pretty good.  I saw a couple forums that totally slammed skyteck’s quality and visual appearance.

For basic play, are there specific armor, planes or ships you get or just a few different ones.  I’m about to order our first set so I want to make our investment a good dollar value without investing a large amount of $$$.

Also, should we wait for AAA to come out?  These pieces are really to play AARHE large map so it seems AAA should have no bearing on our decision.

• @oldsalty:

For basic play, are there specific armor, planes or ships you get or just a few different ones.  I’m about to order our first set so I want to make our investment a good dollar value without investing a large amount of $$$.

CnC has a nice deal of 10 tanks of each country for $35.

I might have chosen different ones (e.g., I really like Tigers and others German Armor) but the deal is quite nice. http://www.pfc-cinc.com/page/page/721915.htm

• The quality on the pics is some of the best i’ve seen.  Ironically, I goggled them today put only found a forum post that said they were out of business so I stopped looking.  Thanks for the tip.  I’ve ordered the set of 50 tanks.

• I have 3 copies of that 50 tank set. The US ands Soviet tank barrels will bend so be careful. Skytrex has the best because the barrels don’t bend unless your really harsh with them.

Is

15mm really 1/2 size of AAR oob pieces?  That’s pretty small but the detail of skyteck/old glory look pretty good.  I saw a couple forums that totally slammed skyteck’s quality and visual appearance.

Look at my posting under variants for AA: classic edition. Everything you see is skytrex stuff bar none. Its great. The only people who say that crap are the types of people who scrutinize every aspect of models and have nothing to do but paint junk. The models are exceptional quality and best price for the money. I wasted thousands of dollars before i found these guys. GHQ is the most unplayable ripoff… nearly worse than flames of war crap. If you want to actually be able to game AA skytrex is the best. no doubt.

tell me what you want to spend and ill make an order that you cant go wrong with. Ill post it here.

Also, should we wait for AAA to come out?  These pieces are really to play AARHE large map so it seems AAA should have no bearing on our decision.

This can be done but you need some extra pieces. I can make a list if you like.

Things like V rockets
    Naval fighters
    heavy tanks
    Mech infantry
    Airborne infantry

it would be a small list.

• Thanks for your input.  I decided to go all custom rather than mix and match.  Can you tell me what specific pieces you buy for the following:

V rockets
    Naval fighters
    heavy tanks
    Mech infantry
    propelled artillary
    Cruisers (heavy battle or light)

• If you want to put together a list, that would be great!  I’ve got a starting budget of $300 USD.  I’m buying the infantry packs from Old Glory today!  (They are the same as Skytrex, correct)?  They have a sale and the shipping is a lot cheaper (Skytrex’s 40% of sales to ship USA is outragious!).  Plus the US distributor is having a 40% off infantry packs sale.

What Skytrex unit do you use for (this is AARHE dependant.  Skytrek doesn’t show unit pics so hard to determine unit selection):

fighter/bomber
    mechanized (I was going to use half-tracks)
    self-propelled artillary (so players don’t confuse with armor.  I was going to use half-tracks mounted with cannon)
    heavy tanks
    AA (Skytrek does’t show a lot of picture so hard to tell best unit.)

Seems biggest expense will be airforce as they don’t appear to come in multiple packs.

• IL, that would be great!  I need to buy all the other pieces as well (e.g., non INF/ARM).  I can put a few hundred dollars into it as well and need all the (optional) pieces that go along with AARHE.

Thanks in advance, you’ll save us some severe asspain trying to find all this.

• Bierwagan

welcome back!

Warweb is offering 40% off their Old Glory miniatures infantry packs (50 pieces) which are the same as Skytrex (Old Glory is the USA distributed name for Skytrex).  Their sale price is $8.40 per pack.  Can’t beat that price.  Unfortunately, they don’t carry all of Skytrex products.

Based in IL’s advice, I ordered UK infantry (split USA,UK); German Infantry (split Germany/Italy); Russia Infantry ( split Russia, Neutrals) and Japan Infantry (Split Japan, China).  I’ll wing France but they won’t need much.

Go here to see pics of Skytrex Infantry packs:  http://www.skytrex.com/

Go here to order:  http://www.warweb.com/15mm-miniatures-world-war-c-70_138_1417_413.html

• Nice find!  Thanks for the tip-off!

• @Imperious:

This can be done but you need some extra pieces. I can make a list if you like.

Things like V rockets
    Naval fighters
    heavy tanks
    Mech infantry
    Airborne infantry

it would be a small list.

Hey IL, I could have sworn you’ve spelled this out before – but I can’t seem to find the list of recommended sets you put together.

Any chance you can “sticky” the thread once you create it so it’s an easy one to find.  Anyone who picks up AARHE is going to eventually want the extra pieces.

• ok working on it right this second.

• Germany:
    V1 Buzz Bomb (x2)  P499 £1.50 (german rockets)
    U-Boat Pen  H20 £2.50 ( for possible NA for Germany)
    Coastal Battery  H60 £1.00  ( use for interdiction batteries)
    Flak Tower (x 2)  H61  £1.00  (AA guns Jagd Panther (x 5)  M320 £1.75 ( Self propelled artillery)
    Tiger 11 Porshe (x 4)  M323 £1.75  ( heavy tank )
    Elephant (x 4)  M327 £1.75 ( Self propelled artillery)
    Sdkfz 251/1 (x 5)  M340 £1.75  ( mech infantry
    88mm Flak 18 A.A./A.T. Gun (x 4)  M384b £1.75 ( replacement artillery for germany)
    ISA 180 Me.262 (6) $4.69 (jet fighter)
    ISA 181 Me.163 (6) $4.69 ( jet fighter)
    ISA 182 He.162a Salamander (6) $4.69 ( jet fighter)
    ISA 183 Ar.234 Blitz (4) $4.69 ( jet bomber)

United States:
    M36 Jackson Tank destroyer (x 5)  M211 £1.75 ( self propelled artillery)
    M26 Pershing (x 4)  M208 £1.75 (heavy tanks)
    M3A1 Half track (x 5)  M240 £1.75 (mech infantry)

Soviet Union:
    SU 122 (x5)  M453 £1.75 (self-pro)
    Katyuska Rkt on GAZ (x 5)  M465 £1.75 (a few of these are also self propelled artillery)
    JS111 Stalin Heavy Tank (x 4)  M416 £1.75 ( heavy tank)

British:
    Comet 1 (x 5)  M117 £1.75 (heavy tank)
    Sexton S.P.G. (X 5)  M152 £1.75 (SPA)
    ISA 80 Gloster Meteor (4) $4.69 ( jets)

Note: all ISA numbers from
    http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/
    Tumbling dice/vapor trails.

I suggest you either go this route or buy Milton Bradley axis and allies game and do following:
    Tanks are mech infantry
    Battleships are cruisers
    Fighters are naval fighters
    Subs are super subs
    Bombers are heavy bombers

• This is good stuff IL:  Thanks!!!

I have the printer you get your game boards printed at.  How do your 6 sections lock together so they are squared up and don’t move or do you just butt them together?

Any reason why I would not want to get two sections instead of six, if transporting is not a problem?

• get me the measurement of the map i think i made it 72x36 which is 6x3

in that case cuts are 6 pieces at 24x18 each provided the sheets are at least 1/8 thick. If your table is flat you wont have problems.

If you print on a roll up map and make no cuts at all your ok as well

But i dont like the shinny lamination because it takes away from the map i little bit.

• Mine will be the same at 6’ x 3’.  I was thinking of getting hard material but cut in (2) 3’ x 3’ sections.  Just so I don’t have to deal with multiples.

I also plan on getting - if possible - a 6 in border across the top and bottom.  I did that to the one I made by printing 11 x 14" sheets and taping on posterboard.  Makes a nice spot to keep play units and materials, cards, etc.

• ok then 3x3 would be great but consider where its gonna be stowed away so it wont get damaged.

I can make the file with a border…even with custom set up sheets printed at intervals so people will know where to sit. If you want this i need the completed 1939 set ups, and ill supply the backround as promised.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m