• Hey all,

What do you do with the Russian troops if you were the allies and Moscow was taken by the Germany?

I have seen two very diffrent courses take place.  1) bum rush Moscow with every troop that can reach even if there is a slim to no chance of retaking it.  2) bide your time mass your troops possibly on an allied territory and waite for the UK / US to retake it for you.

I was just wondering what other players would do.

LT

• I would only retake it with my Russian troops if I was sure I could win.  If not, then I would place them in another Allied territory until the US or UK could retake it for me.  Or if a multiple-attack approach was possible (UK hitting with their troops, then the US, then finally Russia securing the country).  Thanks.

• Would you take Moscow with Russian troops if you knew they could take it but not hold it?

I think I would b/c then I know Germany can’t build in Russia for at least one more turn.

LT

• Yeah, I think so because then the UK and US can come in…

• Yeah, but what if you know they are 2-3 turns away?

LT

• I would try to re-take Moscow only If I have am almost sure to not lose it. Otherwise The Axis will be able to grab the IPC from Moscow territory two times in a single turn! One time for receiving russian IPC having captured the Capital and another time in the collecting income for owning the Moscow Territory.

In this view an option may be analogous at what captainjack said: massing the Russian troops in an allied own territory, then trying to free it with USA and then advancing in with all the Russian troops to increase defense.

• That is a very good point to consider.  You don’t want Germany cashing in on Russia’s income by retaking Moscow.

LT

• @LT04:

Yeah, but what if you know they are 2-3 turns away?

LT

In that case probably not.  I agree with Romulus.

• Maybe. considering the question, if Mosca is retaken by Uk and then invaded again by Japan it is not possible for the Russian player to collect income, so in this way is possible to accomplish what LT04 said, conquering Moscow and avoiding building there for a turn.

• I guess if all Russia had left was Moscow and I could take it but not hold it I would take it every round.  Yeah Germany or Japan would get the 8 IPC’s every turn Russia would with out a doubt loose more then the gained but Germany or Japan can’t build troops in Moscow slowing their advance.

How you ever lost Moscow and still ended up wining as the Allies?

LT

• @LT04:

I guess if all Russia had left was Moscow and I could take it but not hold it I would take it every round.  Yeah Germany or Japan would get the 8 IPC’s every turn Russia would with out a doubt loose more then the gained but Germany or Japan can’t build troops in Moscow slowing their advance.

LT

But if all that Russia has is Moscow and it’s taken by Germany or Japan, Russia can’t retake it again next round…  they’d be out of troops and land, right?

BTW, I’ve never won as the Allies after Moscow has fallen - but that’s not saying much because I don’t consider myself one of the great A&A players or strategists!

Also, just out of curiosity… what was the US and UK doing that they are 2 or 3 rounds away from helping Russia? (I’ve got a game coming up this Friday - I’m the Allies - and I want to know what not to do.  Thanks.

• I was just using a sample situation.  The US could have been retaking Africa and the UK could have been doing every thing they could to hold India.  Maybe it was a KJF game.

LT

• @LT04:

I was just using a sample situation.  The US could have been retaking Africa and the UK could have been doing every thing they could to hold India.  Maybe it was a KJF game.

LT

Ahh, I’m sorry I thought it was a game you were playing…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It really depends on what America’s doing, if you ask me.

If America took out, or is about to take out Japan (by take out I mean completely neutralize, no fleet, no islands, no mainland but possibly they still have their worthless islands and Japan itself) and is building up ground units in SE Asia, I might say that the Russians should retreat to join the Americans and give them increased defensive position.

If it’s a traditional Kill Germany First game, I’d say suicide them against any German force you have a decent shot at wiping out, or doing serious damage too in the hopes of making the job easier.  After all, if Moscow’s gone, odds are VERY strong you don’t have much in the way of real forces left. (Except if you were killing Japan and had a bad run of dice or something resulting in 13 infantry, 3 armor surviving way out East or something.)

But that’s just my personal opinion on the matter.

Also, if tech is enabled (ie it’s allowed in your game) you may want to consider your last purchase to go for Rockets and get your AA Guns out of Russia before it falls if you can. (At least the rockets can help the allies even if the enemy gets your armies completely destroyed.)

• Jen,

The rocket aspect is one I have not considered.

Thanks,
    LT

• @LT04:

It was pretty dicey (no pun intended) for a while but in this game the Axis conceded shortly after securing moscow:  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11554
    (Of course, it helped that Berlin had fallen just before Moscow)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@TimTheEnchanter:

@LT04:

It was pretty dicey (no pun intended) for a while but in this game the Axis conceded shortly after securing moscow:  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11554
    (Of course, it helped that Berlin had fallen just before Moscow)

That’s true, if Berlin falls within two rounds of Moscow falling, the allies will almost certainly win. (Kind of depends on how many Japanese forces are left after Russia falls.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m