• In my house rules I have incorporated Heavy Tanks as a unit, similar to GHG’s Heavy Tank rule.
    My question is what piece do you use for the each nation?
    Specifically the Italians/minor Axis.
    In my house rules, I only allow the US, UK, USSR, Germany, and Italy to build Heavy Tanks.
    I bought units from HBG, and I was very pleased with the quality.
    In trying to select a Hvy Tank for Italy though I bought a brown Stugs. The units look great, but they are about the same size as the OOB tank. I really would like a larger unit for the Italians, but I am not sure which to get.

• '18 '17 '16

I cheated and painted some German tanks Italian brown from this set;
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Bring-in-the-Heavies-Might-of-the-Reich_p_2146.html

I looked for months and couldn’t find any Italian tanks that were physically larger than the OOB tanks.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Wildcat6305:

In my house rules I have incorporated Heavy Tanks as a unit, similar to GHG’s Heavy Tank rule.
    My question is what piece do you use for the each nation?
    Specifically the Italians/minor Axis.
    In my house rules, I only allow the US, UK, USSR, Germany, and Italy to build Heavy Tanks.
    I bought units from HBG, and I was very pleased with the quality.
    In trying to select a Hvy Tank for Italy though I bought a brown Stugs. The units look great, but they are about the same size as the OOB tank. I really would like a larger unit for the Italians, but I am not sure which to get.

You could use the German Tiger Tank and by brown flat primer paint to paint then use a matte clear coat to seal it. This could work, or do what GHG said. I hope this helps.

• From a historic point of view I dont think any nation lesser than France had the industry to produce Heavy Tanks. Maybe Italy could too, but there is the border. Because of that fact I think nobody will ever make a sculpt of a minor nations heavy tanks. But lucky to us, HBG make all their sets in any color, so check that web side out, man. I just checked and you can get the Russian KV 2 Heavy Tank in 4 different colors, use that as an Italian heavy tank

edit, and you always have Shapeways.com that make all kind of tanks in 3 D print, but you have to pay for it, not cheap

• '14 Customizer

These are the tanks we used for Heavy Tanks.

Germany: King Tiger and Maus tanks (Amerika)
    Russia: IS-2 (OOB set)
    Japan: O-I tank (Amerika)
    USA: T28 “Dragon” Tanks (Amerika)
    UK: Tortoise Tank (HBG Shapeways)
    Italian Semovente 90 Tank (Amerika - Japan Antitank extremely close to what the Semovente looked like)
    ANZAC: T29 Tanks (Amerika)
    France: ARL-44 Tank (HBG Shapeways)

Sorry no pics since Photoshop wont let me share links for free anymore.

• Thanks for the suggestions, those are definitely some good ideas.

• Historically, the Italians produced the Carro Armato P.40 “heavy tank” just before the war ended for them. Although, it was really more like a medium tank, the Italians called it a heavy tank. You can get it from the HBG site from the global war expansion area. I have not ordered it yet so I don’t know if it is physically larger than OOB tanks or not.
    The only minor that had access to heavy tanks was Hungary which had a few Tiger I tanks given to them by the Germans.

• '18 '17 '16

If anything the HBG P 40 is smaller than OOB.

• Yeah I wish HBG would take a pic with the scupt next to an OOB unit, so you can get a better concept of its size.

So I ended up just buying some more Tigers, painted them brown, and decided not worry about the historical accuracy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m