Birth Control Price Hike: $$$ or More Abortions?

• Yep, those darn evil Republicans who controlled the House, Senate and White House in 2005 were conspiring to cause more abortions, since they passed and signed the law…  No way it was just a post-election pay-back to the drug companies to allow for increased profits in exchange for the big campaign contributions they gave Republicans in 2004
    :roll:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Nah, cause they’ve been ragging on pharmecutical companies for years.

And let’s remember, Bush signs just about anything that comes out of the Congress.  Other then the war funding bill, I don’t know of anything he’s vetoed.

Then look at the Congress, pretty much 50/50 with the majority pretending to be in the minority the whole time.

So yea, I can see how this could be a method to increase abortion rates to desensitize the people so as to make it easier to pass more restrictive laws on pro-lifers and make it easier on pro-choicers.

• Well, if it were the ONLY thing that Pharma got from Bush and the republicans, I would agree.  But when you add in Medicare Part D that SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS the government negotiating “volume discounts” for drugs (as they do for medical proceedures under Medicare), then you HAVE to take it as part of a pay-back to Pharma for campaign contributions.

Health care costs go up, drug companies get a guaranteed source of increased revenue with NO cost controls, and the Republican Congress and President sign off… and BRAG about it.

Sorry, but there is no other way to look at these two pieces of legislastion taken together except as a pay-off to pharmecutical companies.

There is, you just don’t want to look at it a different way dear, and that’s fine.  Both are opinions and as such, both are valid until there’s conclusive proof one is more valid then the other. :)

Anyway, I think the college health services need to be exempted.  They should be permitted to purchase any legal drugs intended for legal use at bulk discounts.  I’d rather students get bulk discounts on pharmecuticals (and yes, I know I habitually misspell that word) then student loans to pay for those drugs!

• @Jennifer:

They should be permitted to purchase any legal drugs intended for legal use at bulk discounts.

But that is exactly what the Republican controlled House, Senate, and White House made illegal…
    Price negotiation by the government for the price of drugs is ILLEGAL under the law that established Medicare Part D… Bush’s attempt to gain the Senior Vote in 2000 which turned into a pay-off of the pharmecutical companies.

Why else would price negotiation be OUTLAWED?

• Isn’t this a political discussion?  :|

• Of course, MOST colleges are not government institutions, but rather private, and thus not exempt from negotiating any discounts they can.

And how is this penalizing the rich Jen? They were getting discounts. Now, maybe, in a few select colleges, they are not.

However, the other 50-60% of the young population that is NOT going to college because they couldn’t afford it were NEVER getting those discounts in the first place. So I find it hard to view this as an attack on the rich.

heck, maybe the message trying to be sent is that college students should spend a bit less time screwing everything that can and a bit more time focusing on their school work. Judging by the radical elements we’ve seen growing on college campuses recently, I would say many students have waaay too much time for lots of things besides school and homework.

Ryan S. Johnson
    Guild of Blades Publishing Group
    http://www.guildofblades.com
    http://www.1483online.com
    http://www.thermopylae-online.com

@ncscswitch:

@Jennifer:

They should be permitted to purchase any legal drugs intended for legal use at bulk discounts.

But that is exactly what the Republican controlled House, Senate, and White House made illegal…
    Price negotiation by the government for the price of drugs is ILLEGAL under the law that established Medicare Part D… Bush’s attempt to gain the Senior Vote in 2000 which turned into a pay-off of the pharmecutical companies.

Why else would price negotiation be OUTLAWED?

A)  I’m a moderate, not a Democrat or Republican.  So I’m failing to see why you emphasized what you did, but okay.

B)  A private institution is not the GOVERNMENT.  Private institutions should be allowed to bid for bulk discounts whenever they want too.

C)  If the companies OFFER a discount to the government, that should also be accepted.  What kind of idiotic state would refuse a discount!?!?!?!

• you didn’t say “demon-rat”…maybe you are growing up?  :mrgreen:

@Janus1:

you didn’t say “demon-rat”…maybe you are growing up?  :mrgreen:

I only use the term demon-rat or neonazi when someone refers to republicans as neocons or right wing religious reich.

• I only use the term demon-rat or neonazi when someone refers to republicans as neocons or right wing religious reich.

sure…

• The only reason I emphasized the aprty that passed the law is that there are folks on this board who think that the current Admin and the previous Republican Congress could do almost no wrong.

This story was simply a chance to illustrate that, despite the Republicans having been voted into office to end corruption, restore accountablility, etc, that the pay-offs to big business have not only continued, but accelerated.

These bills are a perfect example of Big Government patting us on the back and trying to make us feel good, while they grab our wallets with the other hand and empty it (and max out the credit cards)

• 2007 AAR League

isnt medicaid the problem in this article?

therefore, once again, its liberals who brought upon us another problem!  :evil:

• Yep, definetly a political discussion.

• @frimmel:

Yep, definetly a political discussion.

LOL.
    I don’t think there is anything but these days…

I put it in General because it effects private institutions, not just politics.  But I guess it would fit in political too.

Anyway, Medicaid is not so much the problem as the free market being prohibited from working.  We’re not talking only state universities that are hamstrung from bartering with pharmecutical companies to get better rates, but also pharmecutical companies are prohibited from even OFFERING the rates as well as students - again - taking it up the who-ha because of some dithering ID10T sitting in a climate controlled office and making decisions without the facts.

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

Yep, definetly a political discussion.Â

LOL.
    I don’t think there is anything but these days…

• The more I observe, the more I am inclined toward heavily taxing abortion.

In a theological government, banning it would be fine, but we have representative govm’t where not everyone is of the same faith or values.

However, we should all be paying taxes.  Those of us who are healthy most likely get medical care at some point of our lives.  Healthy people can be more productive in the workplace.  Productive workplaces here will make our country strong.

I am foremost a patriot and highly anti-communist.  Friends of mine place great value on freedom.

The high cost of medical care is taking that freedom away.

For the senior set, they only have the freedom of healthy poverty, or a short unhealthy life.
    The Ma-Gov that takes care of them is fiscally losing due to rapid retirements (income tax) and escalating expenses (MediCare, social security) by the baby boomers.  The replacement workers are not as many and, as many are just starting out, have lower payscales.  The lower income taxes will hurt our government, its programs, and the nation.

As a nation, we do not want the birth rate to go down, because that is fewer workers, taxpayers, and leaders down the road. 
    The lower birth rates can be offset by immigration, by immigrants are not easily assimilated into our modern society.

I think we should tax both… and let the revenues pay of the debts, maybe even build a surplus to Medicare and Social security.
    We should also restrict payouts.

I think a 3-tier SS payout method should favor Veterans, and non-deployed GI’s over lay civilians.
    I think smoking should be used as screen for provision of medical care.
    We can also use that to screen out immigrants, since smokers, on average are not as productive in the workforce.

Basically, anything good, or bad, we should structure our taxing and govmt spending systems to encourage everyone here to be better citizens, with a goal of building a stronger USA.

Correct me if I’m wrong, Linkon, but if you draw that out further, you’d be in favor of taxing DINKs more heavily then traditional families, because they are financially more healthy and thus can “afford” more taxes?  (DINKs = Double Income, No Kids)

I wouldn’t mind.  A lot of DINK families happen to be very liberal (as in like to spend the government’s money on everything under the sun, probably because they have the time to think of ways to spend the government’s money) while traditional families need more funding from “richer” families for government run day camp, government run schools, government run clinics for children, etc.

• 2007 AAR League

Jen, you are not a moderate. Be proud and say what you are… remember that political test crap we all took? You were on the right if I recall well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m