• Usually Japan goes for the DEI…

And usually they get them and the bonus. How can one of the islands of the DEI best be wrangled form Japan? Is it for example best to attack from Australia or the Carolines? Is it best to use ANZAC transports of combine US and ANZAC transports?

Thank you!

• From my experience, combining navies in a coalition effort works best.  It really depends on who you want to end up with the island in question.  If you deem the Japanese navy there defeatable, then I would recommend this strategy:

Use the turn order to your advantage. After Japan’s turn, use the American fleet to harass the Japanese in any way possible near the islands, hopefully weakening them.  The British navy should be sizeable enough to fight a decent size battle if these islands are your main objective.  Use them to either take the island or weaken the Japanese further.  If the island is still Japanese held by ANZACS turn, you can probably swipe it from a depleted Japanese navy.

• Therein lies the problem: a combined allied fleet is much weaker than the unified Japanese fleet… even if you have slighty more ships with the allies. So a combined attack is not recommended in my opinion. It is better to place the combined fleet at Java for example and let the Japanese attack the combined allied fleet…

• Well said; I phrased my thoughts poorly.  I agree with your statements wholeheartedly, I just meant that if it is possible to take a few ships down at a rendezvous point, go for it.  But yes, I also think that combining the fleet is a good idea.

• Well the Japanese usually have more ships than the allies combined… Japan only has to buy some subs and destroyers to keep up with the allies. And when they keep their airforce close to the DEI, the allies cannot put their combined fleet forward anyway.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

It’s pretty hard to retake the DEI and preventing Japan to retake them, but a combination of things can delay DEI or negate the benefits of Japan holding the islands:

• Land with Anzac (Infantry and AA gun) and add fighters to the land defense (get away when it becomes less costly for Japan to wipe you out)

• Put as much pressure on Japan on the continent as you can, with Russia, UK and China. Give Japan too many targets to deal with and trade a certain favorable TUV battle for Japan, for position and time. For instance if you see that the Far East Russians can get into an even battle while causing Japanese transports to get out of position, it’s something to consider.

• Another way to contest the islands is to drop anzac subs that the Japanese player has to deal with

• Create air forces that make it hard to defend Japanese transports. Japanese transports are probably one of the most important units in the game

Generally, I’m always troubled as Japan when the US/Anzac can take and defend the Carolines. It greatly reduces the flexibility the Japanese player does have.

• It is also highly effective to sprinkle subs throughout the sea zones.  Japan will need to start trading destroyers for subs, draining the power of much needed resources.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Arthur:

It is also highly effective to sprinkle subs throughout the sea zones.  Japan will need to start trading destroyers for subs, draining the power of much needed resources.

Absolutely. Dropping a single sub in a sea zone is the easiest way to draw the Axis into a slightly unfavorable TUV battle. These subs have to be dealt with or they start costing big. Strategic bombing is another way.

• Thank you all for the insight!

And should the UK try to lure Japan into a big battle in Yunnan on J3? The Chinese and UK plus ANZAC can put up to 35 units on Yunnan in round 2. Japan can either attack and lose all landforces and some fighters or wait and walk to the north of China, but the Birma road will be open that way…

The downside is that Japan, if it DOW’s on J3 can leave the Americans out of the war for another round.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Well usually the Japanese forces converge to Yunnan, and maybe one or two units in the north.

Would you trade say 22 Japanese groundunits and 3 aircraft to 35 allied units, including the Indian airforce?

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Tolstoj:

Well usually the Japanese forces converge to Yunnan, and maybe one or two units in the north.

Would you trade say 22 Japanese groundunits and 3 aircraft to 35 allied units, including the Indian airforce?

The Soviets can make a contribution as well.

You don’t have to hold Yunnan but it’s very important to always retake it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m