• 32 dead in Virginia Tech shooting.  :x

SS

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If casings were ID tagged and bullets cost $500 each, this wouldn’t be a problem.

• @Jennifer:

If casings were ID tagged and bullets cost $500 each, this wouldn’t be a problem.

The Daniel Patrick Moynihan solution…

• 2007 AAR League

Make that 33 …

• @Jennifer:

Then that means only rich people would go on killing sprees.  :cry:

@ncscswitch:

@Jennifer:

The Daniel Patrick Moynihan solution…

I’ll take your word for it since I know not of whom you doth speak.

@Mechanized:

@Jennifer:

Then that means only rich people would go on killing sprees.  :cry:

Or, more likely, you’d have a really good reason to shoot someone before you unloaded a few thousand dollars in their butt.  Ya know what I mean?

• Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Former Democrat Senator from New York, now deceased (Senator Hillary Clinton now holds his seat).  Approximately 15 years ago. then Senator Moynihan introduced legislation to set a tax on AMMUNITION of several thousand percent… such that simple .22 caliber rounds instead of being pennies a piece would have been scores of dollars.  9 mm rounds would have been about $500 a round.

Senator Moynihan intorduced this legislation circa 1992-1993 if memory serves.  And one of his main supporting arguments was that the Second Ammendment may provide for leagal ownership of guns, but did not say ANYTHING about taxing the snot out of ammunition…

• 2007 AAR League

there is also a comedian proposing that thing… (chris rock i think it was…)

• @Nix:

there is also a comedian proposing that thing… (chris rock i think it was…)

Yes, that’s exactly who made that joke.

I think that solution sounds good - but I’d bet you’d find an increase in illegal weapons/ammo smuggling and black market purchases.  It may make a dent, but I wonder about its effectiveness.

• When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns…

same kind of argument

• 2007 AAR League

I can see a need to start loading my own if rounds cost $500 a piece.

There is nothing magic about loading your own rounds.

I would prefer the “everyone carry” law approach myself.  If every student on that campus was carrying a handgun, the casualty count would not have gotten anywhere near 10.

When everyone carries a gun, mass shootings are very unlikely.

So charge $499.70 for the shell casings and leave the rest of the prices alone.  Now you hit self loaders.

And it’s good to know that NY Senators and Chris Rock agree with my idea. :P  I don’t care if I came up with it well after they said it (allegedly, I’m waiting for 3 sources for each and 3 sources for each source proving the sources are not biased themselves.  Just jumping the gun a little.)

• @Baghdaddy:

Don’t own a gun, but didn’t figure it was that complicated…

• You might want to keep a low profile for a few days, or avoid key “alarm” words or disclosing the location of your rogue gun workshop.  :wink:
    • That’s a joke, but I’ve seen before where the Feds have an interest in forum posters that say a bit too much.  Just a word of caution.

I would prefer the “everyone carry” law approach myself.  If every student on that campus was carrying a handgun, the casualty count would not have gotten anywhere near 10.

I can understand the logic here.  But think about it a little more.  It’s easy to say “if everyone was packing, this guy would never have fired and would have dropped in a hail of bullets” after the fact.  But do you consider the increased prevalence of guns as a potential deterrent to an event like this, or an increased potential in gun-related crimes, gun-related accidents, etc.?
    I can’t call it either way - I personally don’t have a major desire to own a gun (that could be my mistake?).  But an increase in guns to me says an increase in crime, no matter how many events are avoided.

The everyone carry point Jermo is making seems inconsequential.  Maybe I am missing what he is saying.

The best issue against an everyone carry law is that the same number, if not more students probably would have died due to accidental firearm discharges. Of course, that could be minimized with proper firearm training in grammer and secondary schools.

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

@Baghdaddy:

Don’t own a gun, but didn’t figure it was that complicated…

• You might want to keep a low profile for a few days, or avoid key “alarm” words or disclosing the location of your rogue gun workshop.  :wink:
    • That’s a joke, but I’ve seen before where the Feds have an interest in forum posters that say a bit too much.  Just a word of caution.

They’ll take my underground secret gun smithy away from me when I build it!!!

or something like that.  :-D Â

@Jermofoot:

@Baghdaddy:

I can understand the logic here.  But think about it a little more.  It’s easy to say “if everyone was packing, this guy would never have fired and would have dropped in a hail of bullets” after the fact.  But do you consider the increased prevalence of guns as a potential deterrent to an event like this, or an increased potential in gun-related crimes, gun-related accidents, etc.?
    I can’t call it either way - I personally don’t have a major desire to own a gun (that could be my mistake?).  But an increase in guns to me says an increase in crime, no matter how many events are avoided.

My experiences with all armed populations was everyone was very polite and crime did not happen.  Of course it could have been the quality of the people.  Maybe there is something to that saying “it’s not guns that kill people, it’s people who kill people”.

Guns just change the range and repeatability.

• '19 Moderator

I think that School/College employees should be given the option to carry concealed.  This guy decided to go out with a bang and knew an easy place to do it, where there was no chance of opposition.  If a guy came into my office with a .22 and a 9mm he’d be dead before the door closed.

Btw I carry a handgun with me every day and miraculously in the 15 years I have done so I have managed to avoid an “accidental discharge” or any accident period for that mater.

• @Jennifer:

The everyone carry point Jermo is making seems inconsequential.  Maybe I am missing what he is saying.

I think you are.

The best issue against an everyone carry law is that the same number, if not more students probably would have died due to accidental firearm discharges. Of course, that could be minimized with proper firearm training in grammer and secondary schools.

That was one point of my “argument.”

@Baghdaddy:

My experiences with all armed populations was everyone was very polite and crime did not happen.  Of course it could have been the quality of the people.  Maybe there is something to that saying “it’s not guns that kill people, it’s people who kill people”.

Guns just change the range and repeatability.

Of course the quality of the people matter.  Someone who respects guns and justice is not likely to abuse the weapon.  Someone who wants to commit a crime will find it much more efficacious to wield a gun than a knife - but it is their intent to commit the crime that causes them to use something that adds leverage.

@dezrtfish:

I think that School/College employees should be given the option to carry concealed.  This guy decided to go out with a bang and knew an easy place to do it, where there was no chance of opposition.  If a guy came into my office with a .22 and a 9mm he’d be dead before the door closed.

Btw I carry a handgun with me every day and miraculously in the 15 years I have done so I have managed to avoid an “accidental discharge” or any accident period for that mater.

Are guns what we want to introduce into schools because of an event like this?  It seems to me that young adults, who are very emotional, might not be the ideal people to grant guns to.  I could be wrong.

Good job on handling your weapon.  But it’s not necessarily you whom I’m worried about.  It could be your kids.  It could be the event that someone uses an excessive amount of force to deal with a matter.  Among other things.

• @dezrtfish:

… This guy decided to go out with a bang and knew an easy place to do it, where there was no chance of opposition…

The shooter figured on some eventual opposition or the hall doors would not have been chain locked.

I think VT also has ROTC, but obviously not on alert.

No-resistance Amish country is a long ways away from Blacksburg.  I no longer want my future offspring to attend school in Amish country where first responders are almost a whole day away.

• 2007 AAR League

i throw my support that many of the populace should be armed.  after thourough background checks, and other tests for state of mind and what not.

i mean, you can only protect yourself.  no one else is going to.  cops dont protect you at all, they just try to find, try of course to find, and then try to convict, try again, the person in court.  they dont protect shit, just try to catch the person that killed you.  if people were able to have guns, they could have protected themselves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m