• I want to ensure I’m not cheating anyone out of anything, so I need to post it up…

1/ Nevermind this one. I figured out my mistake in re-reading my own question.

2/ Plane scrambling - Lets say you have 4 fighters, 2 tactical bombers and 4 bombers sitting on Japan. Japan has a noteworthy navy in SZ6, and the US sends over it’s fleet to destroy the JIN. My question is, do all 10 of these planes (the ones sitting on japan) scramble to assist in and take hits for the naval engagement? And do they do so for every roll? Lets assume the airbase has taken no dmg.

You’ll notice I didn’t just include fighters in the scramble. The description for the air base (in relation to scrambling) includes all air units. This has been pretty overpowered for me, so I wanted to ensure I’m not cheating.

3/ Naval base sea zone servicing range - The NB unit description reads “ALL SEA ZONES that border a territory containing a NB ARE considered to be serviced by that naval base”. The plurality of the statement suggests that there are examples where multiple SZ’s border a NB territory, OR that a SZ that is adjacent to a SZ that is directly serviced by a NB would additionally receive the benefit. I would ASSuME™ that only THE SZ that borders the LAND that the NB resides on would get the benefit. If Im wrong, then this would be different than the range extender for an airbase, which guarantees that only one territory is benefitted.

Example: Does SZ15 receive servicing benefits because it’s adjacent to SZ6? If it does, extra ship movement and repairs suddenly encompass quite a bit more of the board. I can find no land on the map where you could drop a NB that touches two SZs to benefit them both (except for Alaska).

• For the first question you can only scramble Fighers and Tac Bombers. Like you said it’s only for island defense, but you can choose to scramble 0, all, or anywhere in between at your discretion. You can even scramble a plane so that the opponent doesn’t get to bombard with ships even if you have no navy defending said SZ. The fight goes on until the attacker retreats his/her sea units, or until 1 or both sides have nothing they can attack with.

As for question 2, there are territories which border multiple sz’s. Alaska for example borders SZ1 and SZ2. Any allie bordering Alaska if US has an airport there would get the bonus so SZ1 and SZ2, not the SZ’s touchig the SZ’s that touch the land (if that makes any sense). Soviet Far East also borders multiple SZ’s. It borders SZ3, SZ4, and SZ5.

• Thanks Mino for confirming my suspicions. I didnt mention the soviet territories since you cant build there. It didnt occur to me to use a scramble to defeat a bombardment. I guess you’d have to go through at least one round attacks to make that work out. However, lets say you opponent has 5 ships with which to bombard, and commits only a cruiser to repel the scramble. Cruiser goes down for sure, but the other ships never engaged, and are then free to bombard.

Unless youre saying the entire fleet is engaged by a single plane, in which the defender would have the plane stashed just to prevent all bombardment.

• @Xayd74:

Thanks Mino for confirming my suspicions. I didnt mention the soviet territories since you cant build there. It didnt occur to me to use a scramble to defeat a bombardment. I guess you’d have to go through at least one round attacks to make that work out. However, lets say you opponent has 5 ships with which to bombard, and commits only a cruiser to repel the scramble. Cruiser goes down for sure, but the other ships never engaged, and are then free to bombard.

Unless youre saying the entire fleet is engaged by a single plane, in which the defender would have the plane stashed just to prevent all bombardment.

I confirm what Mino is saying. You can’t split your naval force and send some warships to destroy the opposition and keep some for bombardment. They are all sent as a group

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Doesn’t Malaya or Sumatra touch more than one Sz?  I know something down in the Burma area does.

• Malaya only touches SZ37, and Sumatra only touches SZ41. Shan State does touch SZ37 and SZ38 though and that’s in the Burma area.

• Good catch. It sure does.

• @Mino1124:

For the first question you can only scramble Fighers and Tac Bombers. Like you said it’s only for island defense, but you can choose to scramble 0, all, or anywhere in between at your discretion. You can even scramble a plane so that the opponent doesn’t get to bombard with ships even if you have no navy defending said SZ. The fight goes on until the attacker retreats his/her sea units, or until 1 or both sides have nothing they can attack with.

As for question 2, there are territories which border multiple sz’s. Alaska for example borders SZ1 and SZ2. Any allie bordering Alaska if US has an airport there would get the bonus so SZ1 and SZ2, not the SZ’s touchig the SZ’s that touch the land (if that makes any sense). Soviet Far East also borders multiple SZ’s. It borders SZ3, SZ4, and SZ5.

I would not agree on scrambling into a SZ where no naval battle occurs - the rulebook states the premise “naval battle”.

But another question:

Scramble states island with airbase.

Japan is an island, so OK you can scramble from there.

Australia is NOT an island (its a continent ;))  - so if I do rules lawyering I would say planes can NOT scramble from any territory in Australa (US/ASIA) to join a naval battle - correct?

If yes - is it intentional or just an oversight…?

• Official Q&A

@Richter:

I would not agree on scrambling into a SZ where no naval battle occurs - the rulebook states the premise “naval battle”.

No, it doesn’t.  It says that the air units “defend against attacks in the sea zone”.  An amphibious assault is such an attack, so air units can scramble to defend against it whether or not there are defending ships.

@Richter:

Scramble states island with airbase.

Japan is an island, so OK you can scramble from there.

Australia is NOT an island (its a continent ;))  - so if I do rules lawyering I would say planes can NOT scramble from any territory in Australa (US/ASIA) to join a naval battle - correct?

It is intentional.

• @Richter:

Australia is NOT an island (its a continent ;))  - so if I do rules lawyering I would say planes can NOT scramble from any territory in Australa (US/ASIA) to join a naval battle - correct?

You don’t have to do any rules lawyering, but you can if you want, sometimes it’s fun  :-D. An island is a single territory surrounded by one sea zone. Australia is multiple territories surrounded by multiple sea zones.

• Thanks Kriegshund!

I must admit I never saw an Amph assault as happening within the Sea Zone  - I always thought it happened in the “land” terry - you never stop to learn ;)

• Same here.

But it does make sense to consider it a naval battle… after all, there’s a reason the Germans fought the Battle of Britain as a prelude to any Sea Lion venture.

• @Richter:

Thanks Kriegshund!

I must admit I never saw an Amph assault as happening within the Sea Zone  - I always thought it happened in the “land” terry - you never stop to learn ;)

If I understand it correctly, the logic is that scrambling can only happen when combat moves have been made that end on the SZ bordering the airbase. Thus amphibious assaults can be intercepted by planes.
    An interesting variation or house rule on this would be if airbases could scramble everytime a warship passes by their seazone, on their way to another SZ, either on combat or non-combat movement. Airbases would then be able to block certain naval routes and you’d have to conquer them first before advancing.

• Official Q&A

@Richter:

Actually, they’re both a sea battle and a land battle combined.

@Hobbes:

An interesting variation or house rule on this would be if airbases could scramble everytime a warship passes by their seazone, on their way to another SZ, either on combat or non-combat movement. Airbases would then be able to block certain naval routes and you’d have to conquer them first before advancing.

Or you could just have them fight one round as they pass if the ships are just passing through, similar to fighter interceptors for SBRs.

• Now I see the logic of one island (only) per seazone - otherwise someone could scrabmle from two different islands into a battle in the sea zone.

And thats why scrambling from “continent” is not allowed too - you could possibly scramble from Korea and Jaopan into a battle in SZ 6 ;)

• @Krieghund:

@Hobbes:

Or you could just have them fight one round as they pass if the ships are just passing through, similar to fighter interceptors for SBRs.

That’s more balanced than the my original idea: large fleets might still be able to get through, while smaller fleets would risk being sunk.

• @Richter:

Now I see the logic of one island (only) per seazone - otherwise someone could scrabmle from two different islands into a battle in the sea zone.

And thats why scrambling from “continent” is not allowed too - you could possibly scramble from Korea and Jaopan into a battle in SZ 6 ;)

though to be clear, you can scramble from Japan.

• Thats clear JAPAN is an Island ;) (surry I am used to rules lawyering … :D)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m