• Need some axis stategy

1. Germany, should I go sealion, barbrossa or what?

2. Italy, Should I try to take over the Med or what?

3. Japan, china, india or what?

• '17

1.  Follow the conventional wisdom: Threaten Sealion, typically by building a carrier and transports (OR not spending your G1 income).  If the UK decides to play defensively, then go Barbarossa.  If the UK decides to be reckless and leaves London undermanned, go Sealion.

2. Italy should try to clear the Mediterranean and take Cairo.  Fight the Allies for the Middle East if you can.

3.  This depends on too many variables.  I wouldn’t let either China or Calcutta become strong if I can help it.

• @wheatbeer:

1.  Follow the conventional wisdom: Threaten Sealion, typically by building a carrier and transports (OR not spending your G1 income).  If the UK decides to play defensively, then go Barbarossa.  If the UK decides to be reckless and leaves London undermanned, go Sealion.

2. Italy should try to clear the Mediterranean and take Cairo.  Fight the Allies for the Middle East if you can.

3.  This depends on too many variables.  I wouldn’t let either China or Calcutta become strong if I can help it.

Thanks, but I still need a Japan strategy

• Sponsor

I like the strategy where the Axis focuses all their energy on taking out the UK. Sealion, own the med, and take India. Start by cutting out all the nearly irreplaceable ships in all 3 theaters of war and watch the UK wither. In 3 turns, the UK may be nearly out of the game.

• '17

My general Japanese strategy builds 2 transports on J1 (+ a minor IC or submarines depending on my mood) and to stage for a J2 attack.  This usually means some fleet in SZ36 and some fleet in SZ33.

On J2:
    A. Generally take Borneo and Malaysia (2 of the 3 starting transports should their turn 1 in sz36)
    B. Use the transports you bought on J1 to take the Philippines and Hong Kong.
    C. Use the third original transport (which in my case is usually in SZ6) for the Philippines as well (to be in position to hit the DEI next turn)
    D. Sink any Allied fleets you can hit for a good exchange.
    E. Keep hammering China

On J3:
    Seize as many Dutch East Indies islands as you can
    Keep China in check (if you’re doing well enough, consider annihilating China)
    Starting massing men for Calcutta OR push through China to back-stab the USSR

Later turns:
    Consider taking Siberia, Sakha, and Soviet Far East (one landing in SIB, then branch out over land)
    Maintain a good economy and a good fleet as long as possible.  Don’t expect the Allies to let you win in the Pacific, but make sure they have to keep spending there to stop you.

This is a general plan, which you may note doesn’t set a timetable to sack any Allied capitols.  I advocate patience with Calcutta, they aren’t going anywhere if you knock them down to 6 IPC.  If you want to prioritize Calcutta over the Soviet Union, build a factory in FIC.

• @wheatbeer:

My general Japanese strategy builds 2 transports on J1 (+ a minor IC or submarines depending on my mood) and to stage for a J2 attack.  This usually means some fleet in SZ36 and some fleet in SZ33.

On J2:
    A. Generally take Borneo and Malaysia (2 of the 3 starting transports should their turn 1 in sz36)
    C. Use the third original transport (which in my case is usually in SZ6) for the Philippines as well (to be in position to hit the DEI next turn)
    E. Keep hammering China

On J3:

Later turns:
    Consider taking Siberia, Sakha, and Soviet Far East (one landing in SIB, then branch out over land)
    Maintain a good economy and a good fleet as long as possible.  Don’t expect the Allies to let you win in the Pacific, but make sure they have to keep spending there to stop you.

This is a general plan, which you may note doesn’t set a timetable to sack any Allied capitols.  I advocate patience with Calcutta, they aren’t going anywhere if you knock them down to 6 IPC.  If you want to prioritize Calcutta over the Soviet Union, build a factory in FIC.

What do you do if USSR attacks Japan with 18inf???

• '17

If the Soviets mass on AMU on turn 1, killing the Soviet stack is probably best (despite Mongolia).

If the Soviets mass on BURY on turn 1, then sneak back to AMU on turn 2 or later, it’s a hard choice and I’m not sure what’s best.

• @questioneer:

@wheatbeer:

My general Japanese strategy builds 2 transports on J1 (+ a minor IC or submarines depending on my mood) and to stage for a J2 attack. � This usually means some fleet in SZ36 and some fleet in SZ33.

On J2:
    E. Keep hammering China

On J3:

Later turns:
    Maintain a good economy and a good fleet as long as possible. � Don’t expect the Allies to let you win in the Pacific, but make sure they have to keep spending there to stop you.

This is a general plan, which you may note doesn’t set a timetable to sack any Allied capitols.�  I advocate patience with Calcutta, they aren’t going anywhere if you knock them down to 6 IPC.�  If you want to prioritize Calcutta over the Soviet Union, build a factory in FIC.

THAT is my least favorite part of playing Japan. You’ve got too weak an army, and if those guys get into Manchuria, China’s gonna be a bit bigger, and if they get Korea…if they put 18 inf. there, they could come out with a Minor IC…

• @techroll42:

THAT is my least favorite part of playing Japan. You’ve got too weak an army, and if those guys get into Manchuria, China’s gonna be a bit bigger, and if they get Korea…if they put 18 inf. there, they could come out with a Minor IC…

What’s even worse is if they hold back the 18 inf, 2 AA until USA can make a landing in Korea and then the Russians move in to reinforce it.  That’s a hard thing to achieve though.

• @techroll42:

@questioneer:

@wheatbeer:

My general Japanese strategy builds 2 transports on J1 (+ a minor IC or submarines depending on my mood) and to stage for a J2 attack. �� This usually means some fleet in SZ36 and some fleet in SZ33.

On J2:
    E. Keep hammering China

On J3:

Later turns:
    Maintain a good economy and a good fleet as long as possible. �� Don’t expect the Allies to let you win in the Pacific, but make sure they have to keep spending there to stop you.

This is a general plan, which you may note doesn’t set a timetable to sack any Allied capitols.��  I advocate patience with Calcutta, they aren’t going anywhere if you knock them down to 6 IPC.��  If you want to prioritize Calcutta over the Soviet Union, build a factory in FIC.

If USSR can spare the cash to build a minor vs 4inf . . . well I don’t know if the axis have much of a chance of winning anyway.

• @seththenewb:

@techroll42:

@questioneer:

@wheatbeer:

My general Japanese strategy builds 2 transports on J1 (+ a minor IC or submarines depending on my mood) and to stage for a J2 attack. �� This usually means some fleet in SZ36 and some fleet in SZ33.

On J2:
    E. Keep hammering China

On J3:

Later turns:
    Maintain a good economy and a good fleet as long as possible. �� Don’t expect the Allies to let you win in the Pacific, but make sure they have to keep spending there to stop you.

This is a general plan, which you may note doesn’t set a timetable to sack any Allied capitols.��  I advocate patience with Calcutta, they aren’t going anywhere if you knock them down to 6 IPC.��  If you want to prioritize Calcutta over the Soviet Union, build a factory in FIC.

If USSR can spare the cash to build a minor vs 4inf . . . well I don’t know if the axis have much of a chance of winning anyway.

1 word: Sealion.

You can get away with it.

• @techroll42:

1 word: Sealion.

You can get away with it.

Ok yeah, but what are you going to do with it?  Without immediate pressure against them, yes USSR will have time and $$$ to build up against the coming storm. US will likely spend most if not all their cash in the atlantic in order to retake UK. Without the cash going into the pacific, the USN will never be able to challenge the IJN from roaming at will in the pacific. USSR might be able to spare a couple of bucks to put that IC down in Korea. But any units built there are fewer units against Germany. Without USN support or a severely hampered Japan, that factory is toast and anything built into it will be sacrificed upon the alter of Japanese air. It might be a nuisance to Japan for a little bit, until it’s overwhelmed and it will be overwhelmed. I just don’t see how it’s worth the investment.

• TripleA

DOOD. If USSR is stacked up round 1, 18 inf 2 AA gun… you unload everything you got on him. all your air except for a few fighters make it. plus you got f ton men. PICK UP THE CASH FLOW.

All it does is make japan war R3 instead of R2.

R2 you should get malaya + 3 islands. It’s not hard. 3 starting transports = 3 islands + transports you buy -> pinoy.

Ruskies usually move back, and then they move up R2 and attack R3, the same round you usually have all the islands… he can only realistically go to Korea.

Airbase kwangsi = all your air makes it to manchy soo he has to be in korea.  Korea is japan sea zone and provides no retreat for the ruskies.

You should have no problems.

• Here is my common strat using USSR against Japan

R1- stack 18inf, 2AA in Bury

R2- step back up into Amur

R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

R4- break the pact and attack Manchuria

China, UK, ANZAC continue to build and fight for Yunnan region.  Trying to keep it under Allied control.  US builds at Hawaii, preparing to take Carolines as a launching pad.  At any time if Japan attacks USSR they put themselves grossly out of position for the rest of the game.  It gives the Pacific Allies the time they need to regather.  Japan become neutralized or sacked every time.

Has anyone tried this also???  I don’t see any counters to it yet.

• TripleA

airbase kwangsi, if transports will be out of range, drop naval base as well. russia steps into korea. blam instant defeat.

you are safe as long as you stay in korea… but when japan feels like it… you have no where to escape.

• @Cow:

airbase kwangsi, if transports will be out of range, drop naval base as well. russia steps into korea. blam instant defeat.

you are safe as long as you stay in korea… but when japan feels like it… you have no where to escape.

No, you are not really understanding the dynamics of this move.  It gets Japan out of position and gives the WAllies that extra round or 2 they need to regroup.  On top of that you lose precious ground units needed later.  Even with an AB/NB it is still a 2-round diversion that eventually can’t ignore.  I don’t think you really understand the impact this has.  I know others have used this and have found success with it.  I can just about guarantee a complete sack of Japan with this strategy.  Anyone try it???

• @questioneer:

Here is my common strat using USSR against Japan

R1- stack 18inf, 2AA in Bury

R2- step back up into Amur

R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

R4- break the pact and attack Manchuria

China, UK, ANZAC continue to build and fight for Yunnan region.� Trying to keep it under Allied control.� US builds at Hawaii, preparing to take Carolines as a launching pad.� At any time if Japan attacks USSR they put themselves grossly out of position for the rest of the game.� It gives the Pacific Allies the time they need to regather.� Japan become neutralized or sacked every time.�

Has anyone tried this also???� I don’t see any counters to it yet.

If Amur is left open, Japan’s best option is to ignore it as India Crush is still of paramount importance to a Japanese VC win in the Pacific.

However, if Amur gets stacked upon, it is in J1’s best interest to remove the threat immediately and reap the benefits of multiple “Free” IPC territories.

Japan can deal with the Russians later on if they turn aggressive as there is very little benefit to either side being at war in terms of actual victory conditions.

As an aside, I still think the Neutrality NO is too far in favor of Russia.  There is no benefit to Japan if Russia breaks the truce, only negatives.

• R3- attack Korea (doesn’t break the pact).

Wait, lolwut, the Soviet Union attacking an integral part of the Japanese empire doesn’t break the pact. I think you may have that wrong, taking a broad brush stroke based on this line here;

If the Soviet Union attacks any Japanese-controlled territory bordering these Mongolian territories while Mongolia is still neutral, Mongolia will remain neutral and not ally itself with the Soviet Union

That just means that Mongolia stays neutral, not that Russia essential gets a free pass at Korea. At least, I hope I am right.

As an aside, I still think the Neutrality NO is too far in favor of Russia.  There is no benefit to Japan if Russia breaks the truce, only negatives.

I am still in favor of Japanese puppet states, like Manchukuo or something. Maybe they can supply a set amount of “defensive infantry” if certain requirements are met.

• He is right, since korea does not border manchuria, he does not have to worry about losing the mong bonus, untill he attacks manch that is.

• @ghr2:

He is right, since korea does not border manchuria, he does not have to worry about losing the mong bonus, untill he attacks manch that is.

I know that much, no matter how stupid I think the rule is.

I was referring to essentially him saying that attacking Korea doesn’t break the “pact” (hence a DOW).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m