• Sorry if this has already been asked, i did not find the answer via the search function.

In Alpha 2+, if a fighter has already participated in an battle (for example german fighter on G1 in Sz110) and lands on an friendly airbase (southern italy in this example), can it scramble later in the same turn (to protect the italian fleet)?

The rules say: "Scrambled fighters and tactical bombers are defending […]. They can’t participate in any other battle during that turn, […].

But in my example the fighters first battled and then scrambled, so regarding the rules this schould be possible. On the other hand this seems unfair, because germany goes first, and all the landed fighters would be able to scramble later that turn (once).

• @singabua:

In Alpha 2+, if a fighter has already participated in an battle (for example german fighter on G1 in Sz110) and lands on an friendly airbase (southern italy in this example), can it scramble later in the same turn (to protect the italian fleet)?

The rules say: "Scrambled fighters and tactical bombers are defending […]. They can’t participate in any other battle during that turn, […].

Yes, they can. Turn refers to a country, so your German fighters could attack during Germany’s turn and then scramble to defend the Italian fleet during Italy’s turn.

• Official Q&A

It’s important to understand the difference between a turn and a round.  A turn is one power going through the turn sequence (purchasing through collecting income), while a round is a complete set of the powers’ turns (Germany through France).

An individual unit may only participate in one battle per turn, but it may participate in multiple battles per round on different turns.  For example, the same German territory may be attacked by the USSR, UK, and US in the course of a round.  Any units remaining in that territory will defend it in each of these battles.  Those units will have participated in combat only once per turn, but they will have done so on three different turns in the same round (four if they attacked and took the territory on Germany’s turn).

It’s the same situation with scrambled planes.  It doesn’t matter what a German plane did on Germany’s turn.  On an Allied power’s turn it can scramble to defend a sea zone, just as it would fight to defend the territory that it occupies if that territory were attacked.

• Thanks for these quick answers, this makes sense. But one more question to get this right:

Refering to the line: “they can’t participate in any other battle that turn…”, does that mean, that - to stay in my example - after the german fighter scrambled to protect the italian fleet (in I1), it is unable to fight in the combat move phase of G2?

Thanks in advance.

• @singabua:

Thanks for these quick answers, this makes sense.

Ugh. Apparently not.

• Official Q&A

@singabua:

Refering to the line: “they can’t participate in any other battle that turn…”, does that mean, that - to stay in my example - after the german fighter scrambled to protect the italian fleet (in I1), it is unable to fight in the combat move phase of G2?

No, it doesn’t.  Scrambling on UK’s turn (to defend the Italian fleet) doesn’t prevent a German fighter from attacking on Germany’s turn, as they are different turns (UK’s and Germany’s).

What it means is if UK is attacking the Italian fleet in sea zone 97 and also amphibiously assaulting Southern Italy from sea zone 95, the German fighter cannot both scramble to defend the Italian fleet and then fight in the defense of Southern Italy during the same turn (UK’s turn).  However, if UK attacks the Italian fleet in sea zone 97 on its turn, and then US amphibiously assaults Southern Italy from sea zone 95, the German fighter can fight in both battles (assuming it survives), as the battles are occurring on different turns (UK’s and US’s).

• Ok, I got it. Thanks for all your help.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m