• 2007 AAR League

That is a healthy bid.  Post the link to the game thread please.  I’ll be interested to “watch” the game.

• 2007 AAR League

HMMMM My german 1 buy is 13-14 inf (if i won the bid)

• 2007 AAR League

My round 2 opponent took Axis with a bid of 10 in round 1. I was tempted to go for 8, which I got in round 1 and did decently with a 1 TRN -SZ 14 bid, but I figured he’d go lower this time.

Here’s the link: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8827.0 I’m a little excited about my opening, we’ll see how it works. I’ll just say this - I don’t think it’s been suggested here yet, not in this exact form. It’s gonna be a little crazy, a little nuts, maybe stupid, maybe really nasty. Oh well, part of me would be relieved to be out of the tournament anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ll follow along as time permits.

BTW, in reference to your signature, did you know that “Enders Game” is on the reading list for the US Navy?

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

BTW, in reference to your signature, did you know that “Enders Game” is on the reading list for the US Navy?

That’s cool. Good book. Exciting but also makes you think. I’ve thought of changing my screen name here to Ender. I was always the shortest kid in my class.

• @froodster:

@Baghdaddy:

That’s cool. Good book. Exciting but also makes you think. I’ve thought of changing my screen name here to Ender. I was always the shortest kid in my class.

ISn’t it a little childish for the navy? i didn’t personally like the book. ( had to read it over the summer did it in like 2 days  :x  )

• 2007 AAR League

Well it’s not Dostoevsky and yes it’s a quick read but still thought provoking. My wife likes it too (actually referred me to it), and she is not otherwise into SciFi or action or anything like that.

• @froodster:

Well it’s not Dostoevsky and yes it’s a quick read but still thought provoking. My wife likes it too (actually referred me to it), and she is not otherwise into SciFi or action or anything like that.

the only thinking i did about that book was imagining myself as Peter. what were you supoose to think about? child labour?

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

@froodster:

@Baghdaddy:

ISn’t it a little childish for the navy? i didn’t personally like the book. ( had to read it over the summer did it in like 2 days  :x  )

It is not the only book on the list.  The reading list is intended to appeal to the entire cross section, from 17 year old fresh recruits to crusty old farts like me.  “Enders Game” is in the Junior Enlisted Collection but I read fast enough that I don’t limit myself to any particular list.

http://www.navyreading.navy.mil/

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

@froodster:

the only thinking i did about that book was imagining myself as Peter. what were you supoose to think about? child labour?

The fact that Ender genocided an entire intelligent species all because of a misunderstanding. Read the first quote in my sig, and my old one, which was “your enemy is never a villain in his own  eyes”.

• @froodster:

@cyan:

@froodster:

The fact that Ender genocided an entire intelligent species all because of a misunderstanding. Read the first quote in my sig, and my old one, which was “your enemy is never a villain in his own  eyes”.

I say the whole book just reinforces Darwin’s survival of the fittest

• But remember, in the end, the Hive Queen is alive and helps save entire civilizations…

• 2007 AAR League

So my opening - 1 AC 1 TRN 1 Ftr 2 Inf - was a gamble that I didn’t realize for some reason - since I didn’t kill the UK DD in G1, leaving it free to attack my new TRN and AC in SZ 14. Considering the  new TRN was the whole reason for buying the AC, JWW could have neutered 24 IPCs of my G1 build with one lucky shot by his DD. Fortunately, I survived, but that was close - don’t think I’ll do this exact opening again!

In the Baltic, I submerged my 2 subs and my DD killed a Ftr as it died, so I lost 20 IPCs navy for 1 10 IPC ftr. But, I still have 2 subs to mess with the UK, and a very healthy control of the Med. Hmm…

• @froodster:

So my opening - 1 AC 1 TRN 1 Ftr 2 Inf - was a gamble that I didn’t realize for some reason - since I didn’t kill the UK DD in G1, leaving it free to attack my new TRN and AC in SZ 14. Considering the  new TRN was the whole reason for buying the AC, JWW could have neutered 24 IPCs of my G1 build with one lucky shot by his DD. Fortunately, I survived, but that was close - don’t think I’ll do this exact opening again!

No ftrs on your Med carrier?

• 2007 AAR League

Oh yeah, I landed two on it, and built one in SE.

• @froodster:

Oh yeah, I landed two on it, and built one in SE.

I see your point though, you have no fodder if the UK DD (which has nothing else to do BUT commit suicide on your fleet) got a hit….

• 2007 AAR League

Fortunately, it didn’t hit :-D and my Med fleet is intact - 2 TRN 1 Sub 1 BB 1 AC 2 Ftrs - I don’t expect to see the Yanks in North Africa anytime!

Aside from the tactical value of the TRN, it was a losing attack for the UK - essentially, a 50% chance of killing an 8 IPC unit (so the opportunity is worth 4 IPCs) but a 99% chance chance of losing the destroyer, so -12 IPCs - I come out ahead 8 IPCs on average.

UK1 went pretty badly for him - he lost 22 IPCs of units MORE than the the Axis - his pacific sub died attacking the Jap sub, which lived, my SZ 59 TRN killed the UK DD as it died, the Med DD died, and he lost a Ftr attacking my baltic fleet. He also lost 3 inf in a failed attempt to take Egypt, where I now have a tank sitting ready to blitz around Africa in G2. This game may be my best Afrika result yet, just hope it helps back on the home front where IPCs are now desparately needed!

• 2007 AAR League

Froodster,

Why not just lose a fighter if he attacks you with the DD? You still come out ahead in unit trade value, you bought one in G1 to cover your loss, and the TP surviving is far more important.  Plus, if he has any units in Egypt or T-J, the BB gets to bombard(more value) where it wouldn’t if he had just left the DD in sz15 and you’d have been forced to use the BB and possibly a fighter to kill it. That one’s a wash in my opinion.

Personally, ever since I started building a CV/TP in the med, that DD has been an annoyance. I think that moving it to sz16 is the best thing the UK can do with it. It forces you to make an uncomfortable decision. If you unify the fleet in sz13 it can be used to help in an Allied strafe or possibly squeak into the pacific if they retake Egypt and you don’t take it back on G2. And if you leave the sz7 subs to fend for themselves you have to split your Med fleet to kill both the DD and take Egypt. I would be more than happy if he suicided the DD on the carrier group even if I lost a fighter there.

• 2007 AAR League

Well, I’m going to put this opening in the “Kids, don’t try this at home” file - at least when Russia wipes out Ukraine on R1 with the loss of only one Inf.

To add to the disaster, Japan lost 4 Inf killing the China fighter in J1 and failed to actually take China (although the Ftr died at least)

Even worse, a sneaky UK bomber sank all three transports that I built in J1. I lost 2 Inf and 2 Ftrs killing the Bomber and 4 Inf in Yakut in revenge. So that set Japan back pretty much a whole turn.

However, Japan continued single-mindedly to pursue Australia and New Zealand, not realizing that Germany was coming under extreme pressure (Ah, Germany’ll just build more Infantry, I foolishly said to my self)

So after US3 Germany is in quite a pinch. Allied force of 5 Inf 1 Art 1 Arm is now in West Europe, which I could easily deal with, but Russia has 12 Inf 3 Art 3 Arm in Ukraine that will create a nice welcoming committee for the UK/US in Eastern Europe if I leave that too thinly defended. And of course Germany in the middle has to be kept protected too….

It will be a tight few rounds, we’ll see if there is any hope.

Lesson: don’t try a crazy new strategy on G1, especially if Russia had a really good first turn and it is a tournament game! LOL. I think I’ve learned a thing or two anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

I got the BEST GER first turn buy, EVER. I wont give it away, because some day I might win a German bid in this tournament. All I can say is that it involves boats that transform into giant robots….

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m