• 2007 AAR League

Fortunately, it didn’t hit :-D and my Med fleet is intact - 2 TRN 1 Sub 1 BB 1 AC 2 Ftrs - I don’t expect to see the Yanks in North Africa anytime!

Aside from the tactical value of the TRN, it was a losing attack for the UK - essentially, a 50% chance of killing an 8 IPC unit (so the opportunity is worth 4 IPCs) but a 99% chance chance of losing the destroyer, so -12 IPCs - I come out ahead 8 IPCs on average.

UK1 went pretty badly for him - he lost 22 IPCs of units MORE than the the Axis - his pacific sub died attacking the Jap sub, which lived, my SZ 59 TRN killed the UK DD as it died, the Med DD died, and he lost a Ftr attacking my baltic fleet. He also lost 3 inf in a failed attempt to take Egypt, where I now have a tank sitting ready to blitz around Africa in G2. This game may be my best Afrika result yet, just hope it helps back on the home front where IPCs are now desparately needed!

• 2007 AAR League

Froodster,

Why not just lose a fighter if he attacks you with the DD? You still come out ahead in unit trade value, you bought one in G1 to cover your loss, and the TP surviving is far more important.  Plus, if he has any units in Egypt or T-J, the BB gets to bombard(more value) where it wouldn’t if he had just left the DD in sz15 and you’d have been forced to use the BB and possibly a fighter to kill it. That one’s a wash in my opinion.

Personally, ever since I started building a CV/TP in the med, that DD has been an annoyance. I think that moving it to sz16 is the best thing the UK can do with it. It forces you to make an uncomfortable decision. If you unify the fleet in sz13 it can be used to help in an Allied strafe or possibly squeak into the pacific if they retake Egypt and you don’t take it back on G2. And if you leave the sz7 subs to fend for themselves you have to split your Med fleet to kill both the DD and take Egypt. I would be more than happy if he suicided the DD on the carrier group even if I lost a fighter there.

• 2007 AAR League

Well, I’m going to put this opening in the “Kids, don’t try this at home” file - at least when Russia wipes out Ukraine on R1 with the loss of only one Inf.

To add to the disaster, Japan lost 4 Inf killing the China fighter in J1 and failed to actually take China (although the Ftr died at least)

Even worse, a sneaky UK bomber sank all three transports that I built in J1. I lost 2 Inf and 2 Ftrs killing the Bomber and 4 Inf in Yakut in revenge. So that set Japan back pretty much a whole turn.

However, Japan continued single-mindedly to pursue Australia and New Zealand, not realizing that Germany was coming under extreme pressure (Ah, Germany’ll just build more Infantry, I foolishly said to my self)

So after US3 Germany is in quite a pinch. Allied force of 5 Inf 1 Art 1 Arm is now in West Europe, which I could easily deal with, but Russia has 12 Inf 3 Art 3 Arm in Ukraine that will create a nice welcoming committee for the UK/US in Eastern Europe if I leave that too thinly defended. And of course Germany in the middle has to be kept protected too….

It will be a tight few rounds, we’ll see if there is any hope.

Lesson: don’t try a crazy new strategy on G1, especially if Russia had a really good first turn and it is a tournament game! LOL. I think I’ve learned a thing or two anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

I got the BEST GER first turn buy, EVER. I wont give it away, because some day I might win a German bid in this tournament. All I can say is that it involves boats that transform into giant robots….

• 2007 AAR League

Sounds about what I thought my plan would do  :-P I got so blinded by twenty pages of debating the pros/cons that I neglected to take into account the actual board position - I feel like a goombah.

• @mateooo:

I got the BEST GER first turn buy, EVER. I wont give it away, because some day I might win a German bid in this tournament. All I can say is that it involves boats that transform into giant robots….

yeah if i ever get a 10 ipc bid i’ll buy 4 figs and place the bid in germany.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m