• 2007 AAR League

Also, in LL you can still get bad dice, but the chances of the dice evening out are much less, because the variance in dice is much less.  Thus, in LL, as soon as you get a little bit behind (either due to dice, or strategy, or whatever), it is very difficult to catch up.  In ADS, play it out, you never know what will happen.

• 2007 AAR League

try doing that to Guderian. I like LL better, because there is still luck, but weather wont make you lose 2 ftr to a trn.

As you said its thousands of men and hundreds of superiors. If Joshua Lawrence gets shot, then the yanks would have not do as well on the fight, but it dont mean another unsung hero wouldnt have picked up the brigade and bring it to victory; Or did the Rebels lose in Chancellorsville because Stone Wall got shot?

“If you don’t like dice play Chess or Go or something. . Okay, that was uncalled for” “If you like dice so much why dont you shove them right up your…. oh sorry that was uncalled for.”

Its a matter of taste I guess.

• the Bismarck was sunk because of a lucky shot from a single rickety obsolete torpedo bomber flying in bad weather at night. That’s war and that’s dice. No LL for me.

• The same is true for the sinking of the Shinano…
    1 topedo that just HAPPENED to hit on the end of one of the steel I-beams that supported the torpedo blisters, and turned that I-beam into a battering ram that punched straight into the hull and into the boiler rooms.

And let’s face it… The Battle of Britain IS a perfect example of the dice gods showing favor.  No way in HELL that UK survives the blitz in LL, but in reality they DID.

• I didn’t know that about the Shiano. That’s pretty interresting & certainly proves the point about luck (both good and bad) being part of it.

ps. Congrats on passing the 10k mark

• I have the book written by the Captian of the Archer-Fish that sank Shinano.

GREAT book!

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

I have the book written by the Captian of the Archer-Fish that sank Shinano.

GREAT book!

Speaking as an interested reader, what’s the name of the book / author?

• Shinano!  The Sinking of Japan’s Secret Supership By Captain Joseph F. Enright USN, with James Ryan.

Published by St. Martin’s Press, copyright 1987.

I do not ahve an ISBN number.  The copy I have is from the Military Book Club.

• 2007 AAR League

Taking Egypt is by no means “Obvious” to someone new to the game.  It took me several games before I realized that taking egypt and closing off the Suez is a must for Germany in round1.  That Indian fleet moving into the Med is a real pain in the ass.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah I only started taking Egypt after I started on these forums which was about 5-10 games after I started playing.
    And it helped my game a lot :-D

• Same, I was using that transport for an attack on Caucasus on G1.  This was only viable beacuse the Russian player was new also and didnt think to destroy some of those Ukrainian units.

• Yeah I figured that would be standard procedure unless I was missing something big
    (that secret german fleet off madigascar or what have you)
    really I was just trying to start some talk about africa to see if i could think of any new cool ways to beat my friends.

new question though, what do you think is the optimal use of the german bomber is strategic bombing worth it?

• Lots of threads on that. Go back a few pages thru old threads you should find tons of talk on the subject of SBR.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m