• 2007 AAR League

I think that WAW is the enhanced realism for this game.

• Assuming you came up with that Anglo-Egypt idea on your own, you have pretty good intuition.

That’s a pretty standard move for a lot of German players, as mentioned.  But that’s only because it’s a good move.

Sometimes, if you have an African bid, you can stop the UK from reclaiming Anglo-Egypt on UK1 (bomber, Indian fighter, and various infantry; the bomber and fighter land in Africa, forcing the Germans to risk their own air if they want to kill the UK air).  Or, if you have an African bid, you can forgo attacking Anglo-Egypt with your transport, and use that transport to take Gibraltar instead (while STILL taking Anglo-Egypt with the African bid units plus the Libyan units plus German air).

I very rarely pass by an opportunity to at least destroy the UK units in Anglo-Egypt (even if I don’t take the territory).

• 2007 AAR League

If you dont clear egypt on turn 1 you are in for it. at least on a KGF.

• @ezto:

If you dont clear egypt on turn 1 you are in for it. at least on a KGF.

Untrue.

You are PROBABLY in for it.  But this is by no means a certainty.

Don’t trap yourselves into ways of thinking!

Improvise!

Adapt!

Overcome!

• 2007 AAR League

In low luck it sure does. If you are playing someone who is at least okay.

• @newpaintbrush:

Don’t trap yourselves into ways of thinking!

Improvise!

Adapt!

Overcome!

Actually, that is the whole problem with LL.  It DOES trap you into certain things.  And it significantly reduces the chance to inprovise, adapt and overcome.

Let’s just look at Urkaine on R1, assume a bid of 1 INF to Ukraine.
    In ADS, you have an 87.4% chance to WIN that fight, and a 26.9% chance of FAILING TO TAKE Ukraine.
    One time in 4, Ukraine remains German, or Russia has to lose FIGs to take it with 1 ARM.

In LL, you have a 100% chance to win that fight, and only a 0.8% chance of needed to lose a FIG in order to occypy with 1 ARM.

Or another option… UK attacking FIC on UK1.
    In ADS, you have a 48.5% chance to win that fight, and a 28.8% chance to occupy FIC as UK.  And you have a 57% chance as UK to kill all Jap units there
    In the LL version of that battle…
    Your odds of a win increase slightly to 52.9%, only a 14% chance to occupy, but the odds of destroying all Jap forces increases to 71.2%
    Suddenly attacking FIC to kill the Japan FIG goes from “risky” to a pretty solid bet.

• 2007 AAR League

you just cant f’up in LL as much as you can in ADS. ADS is really unrealistic. When 2 inf can beat 3 arm, you know there is something wrong there.

• 2007 AAR League

But isn’t the luck of the dice supposed to be things like weather and other things that you can’t control?
    I would never play LL the dice is what make it a game.

• @ezto:

you just cant f’up in LL as much as you can in ADS. ADS is really unrealistic. When 2 inf can beat 3 arm, you know there is something wrong there.

Why couldn’t 2 INF beat 3 ARM? If we want to be realistic, pretty standard theories of war can be used. Pick terrain unfavorable to the tanks that redues the effect of their numbers. How about wait till half the column crosses a river? Blow the bridge behind them and chop 'em up. Maneuver your units behind the Tank columns and attack their support. Draw 'em into cities and towns where you can pick at 'em like gnats.

Units in A&A represent thousands of men and hundreds of tanks over vast stretches of city and countryside. The dice represent skillful commanders, unskillful commanders, uncommon valor and the will to win.

What happens at Gettysburg if Joshua Lawerence Chamberlain gets killed in the first volley? What happens to Easy Company if Captain Winters gets killed coming out of the aircraft?

If you don’t like dice play Chess or Go or something. Okay, that was uncalled for. Dice as distasteful as they can be are what make things fun/frustrating. If you like LL fine but it isn’t how you deal with the unexpected that counts most?

• 2007 AAR League

Also, in LL you can still get bad dice, but the chances of the dice evening out are much less, because the variance in dice is much less.  Thus, in LL, as soon as you get a little bit behind (either due to dice, or strategy, or whatever), it is very difficult to catch up.  In ADS, play it out, you never know what will happen.

• 2007 AAR League

try doing that to Guderian. I like LL better, because there is still luck, but weather wont make you lose 2 ftr to a trn.

As you said its thousands of men and hundreds of superiors. If Joshua Lawrence gets shot, then the yanks would have not do as well on the fight, but it dont mean another unsung hero wouldnt have picked up the brigade and bring it to victory; Or did the Rebels lose in Chancellorsville because Stone Wall got shot?

“If you don’t like dice play Chess or Go or something. . Okay, that was uncalled for” “If you like dice so much why dont you shove them right up your…. oh sorry that was uncalled for.”

Its a matter of taste I guess.

• the Bismarck was sunk because of a lucky shot from a single rickety obsolete torpedo bomber flying in bad weather at night. That’s war and that’s dice. No LL for me.

• The same is true for the sinking of the Shinano…
    1 topedo that just HAPPENED to hit on the end of one of the steel I-beams that supported the torpedo blisters, and turned that I-beam into a battering ram that punched straight into the hull and into the boiler rooms.

And let’s face it… The Battle of Britain IS a perfect example of the dice gods showing favor.  No way in HELL that UK survives the blitz in LL, but in reality they DID.

• I didn’t know that about the Shiano. That’s pretty interresting & certainly proves the point about luck (both good and bad) being part of it.

ps. Congrats on passing the 10k mark

• I have the book written by the Captian of the Archer-Fish that sank Shinano.

GREAT book!

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

I have the book written by the Captian of the Archer-Fish that sank Shinano.

GREAT book!

Speaking as an interested reader, what’s the name of the book / author?

• Shinano!  The Sinking of Japan’s Secret Supership By Captain Joseph F. Enright USN, with James Ryan.

Published by St. Martin’s Press, copyright 1987.

I do not ahve an ISBN number.  The copy I have is from the Military Book Club.

• 2007 AAR League

Taking Egypt is by no means “Obvious” to someone new to the game.  It took me several games before I realized that taking egypt and closing off the Suez is a must for Germany in round1.  That Indian fleet moving into the Med is a real pain in the ass.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah I only started taking Egypt after I started on these forums which was about 5-10 games after I started playing.
    And it helped my game a lot :-D

• Same, I was using that transport for an attack on Caucasus on G1.  This was only viable beacuse the Russian player was new also and didnt think to destroy some of those Ukrainian units.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m