• Damage from SBR is limited, and the more territories Germany gains (Africa, central Europe) the more immune they are to those SBR’s.

And the AA fire WILL take a toll on those BOM’s over time, and in a couple of turns of German and Japan advance, UK can;t afford to even replace a BOM with a single turn of revenue…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Once America gets 5 bombers going, England doesn’t have to bomb anymore.

However, the other benefit is that Germany and Japan have diverted huge resources to Africa to keep Germany over the 20 IPC mark each round after bombing, while America just puts her 24 IPC of units into Africa (8 infantry) and does 15-18 IPC damage to Germany (12-15 in return.)

• 2007 AAR League

If you’re going to conduct an SBR campaign against Germany, it’s best to have both the US and UK involved because it doubles the maximum damage that can be inflicted from $16 to $32.

• 2007 AAR League

I think it can work, but it’s not a good strategy for one reason: it is highly volatile. You might get lucky and not lose any bombers to AA fire for 4-5 rounds, which is very bad for Germany. Or you might get unlucky and lose more bombers than expected. Strategy that relies on luck is not really strategy, it’s only crossing your fingers before you roll the dice.

For each Bomber that AA shoots down, you lose the same amount in IPCs as if Germany had conducted 4 or 5 successful SBRs against UK or US. And Germany does this without committing any resources. Also, it’s an active unit that is destroyed, which is more valuable than IPCs, which represent units that will only be active in 2 rounds or so. Remember that you have to turn IPCs into units before they do you any good.

You can’t afford 5 bombers with England.  That’s the only problem.

• 2007 AAR League

Switch, the allies dont need to build much navy, only trn. The bombers are too much, that is why i like the LL rules for them.

Final result:

With Germany reduced to 0-3 IPC a round, the Axis powers, with Moscow in hand, capitulate.

End Bomber Count:

Russia: 1 bomber (sacrificed Moscow for it.)
    England: 3 bombers
    America: 5 bombers

Total SBR: 31.5 IPC a round (Russia was especially nice since you cannot subtract 3 IPC in damage when you don’t collect any money!)

Allied Fleet:

3 Battleships, 20 Transports, 2 Aircraft Carriers, 4 Fighters

Meanwhile, America was still plenty capable of producing 6 infnatry, 1 artillery, 1 armor per round for Europe.

• Actually, there is something in the LL SBR rules about not being able to pay your share of the damage… your BOM dies.

Ah, well if they posted that, we never saw it.  And even had we known, it would have been an arguement that in a case like that you’d have to physically kill the thing with a die roll.

• I suggest reading the LL rule sbefore you continue Jen, or ask some of our LL experts like Ezto and Darth.

• 2007 AAR League

Jenn - where are the bombers in our current game? I believe your theory on SBRs is one of the reasons I called you out…

The allies are taking a slightly different tactical route.  Bombers may come into play again, but this is ADS, not LL.  SBR really only makes sense in LL because your bombers are invincible to AA fire.

• 2007 AAR League

Ooooooh……

Okay. Well, we will still crush you anyway. Har har har (cough spit) har har!!!

LL with Stratofortresses would be fun. :)

• 2007 AAR League

What are Stratofortresses? In Axis & Allies I mean.

American National Advantage:

Your bombers fly higher then AA Fire can reach, so you do not take any damage from AA Guns.

• In other words, invincible heavy weapons! :-o :-o

Yes, well HB tech added to that would be nice, but remember that Heavy Bombers only do 1d6+1 damage to industrials and you still max out at the territory’s value.

I prefer Marines combined with Mechnized Infantry myself.  I see a realm of possibilities for that combination. (Infantry attack at a two or less, move two spaces and can blitz like tanks.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m