• Hey, I just lost one myself.  Yep, some bad dice at some key times.  but the only reason those battles has baecome so critical to me was previous bad decisions.

I lost by my own mistakes.

That and I was flat out out played by my opponents.

Did the dice speed things up since they were NOT my friend that game?  Yep.  But did they change the outcome?  Nope.  in fact, I would have NEEDED a dice victory to pull that game off due to my cumulative errors.

• @newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

Not only loose, but HORRIBLY loose.

i lol’d at typo.  hawt.

Yeah, it happens, mostly with AA guns.  5 of 6 fighters lost over India, yuk.  BUT, you have to be able to work with it.

That’s why I typically send 1 trns 1 fig 1 btl to Anglo-Egypt.  The destroyer mostly gets killed without inflicting any casualties if you just send 1 trns 1 btl, BUT if it kills something, you lose a loaded transport or a battleship.  SO you send a fighter too.  It’s not enough that you have a huge chance of winning, you have to figure in the COST of losing, and play accordingly.

Nice easy example. Should the BB kill the DD w/o a loss. Yes, it should according to odds. But is it “risky”? Yes, Everone that has played this way has at some time or another lost the BB. Was it the “dice” or was it the “decision” ??

IMHO, it was the “decision”. Like you say, you bring the fighter to be “safer”.

Squirecam

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, but when you start deciding battles where you have less then 90% odds arn’t worth it because you’ll be wiped out start occurring in your regular strategy sessions, maybe it’s time to play LL for a while.  Eh?

I mean of all the battles I’ve had, I’d wager 60% of them were complete wipe outs for me when I had significant percentages to win AND plenty of forces.  (So no, it’s not a 2 vs 1 infantry thing.  It’s more of battles where it’s 16 Infantry, 5 Armor, 5 Fighters, 1 Bomber vs 12 Infantry, 5 Armor, 3 Fighters and an AA gun.  Which is 84% chance to win, 1% chance of mutual destruction.  But for me that’s 15% chance to win, 1% chance of mutual destruction and 84% chance of getting whipped out and maybe killing 3 or 4 bad guys!)

• @Jennifer:

Okay, but when you start deciding battles where you have less then 90% odds arn’t worth it because you’ll be wiped out start occurring in your regular strategy sessions, maybe it’s time to play LL for a while.  Eh?

I think that way sometimes too, but when it comes right down to it, there are a lot of reasons to play with dice.

1.  You can sing “Luck be a ladyyy toniight!”

2.  You can always blame the dice for a loss.  ALWAYS.

3.  Quite frankly, I usually “feel lucky tonight”

4.  I like taking risks in games.  It’s fun.  Often disastrous, but fun.

5.  Chicks dig dice.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Oh believe me, I take risks in every game with ADS…I know that if I have less then 90% chance to win, I’ve got an extremely good chance to loose, so it’s always a risk for me (how often do you have 90% chance to win a major engagement?)

Though, I must admit, sometimes it’s fun when you throw a 1 or a 2 on your own ‘bones’ on every roll killing off 6 infantry, 2 armor attacking you amphibiously because he cannot retreat.  But that never happens FOR me when it’s an online dicey (it does happen AGAINST me all the time though.)

Wanna play me IRL?  I’ll kill ya, all I need is 5 minutes to play with the dice before game starts so I can work out how to throw those specific ones to get what I want. :P

• sure, I’d play ya IRL.  But I’m in NYC and you’re around Chicago, I think, yes?

OH wellz, what can ya do?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m