• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

1)  If your attacking submarine hits a defending submarine and no one is around to see it, does it still go boom?  (Seriously, if there’s no destroyer, does it also get a sneak attack, or is it gone?)

2)  During combat phase can you sail a submarine under an enemy submarine?

3)  During non-combat phase can you sail a submarine under an enemy submarine?

All the above assume LHTR

• @Jennifer:

1)  If your attacking submarine hits a defending submarine and no one is around to see it, does it still go boom?  (Seriously, if there’s no destroyer, does it also get a sneak attack, or is it gone?)

2)  During combat phase can you sail a submarine under an enemy submarine?

3)  During non-combat phase can you sail a submarine under an enemy submarine?

All the above assume LHTR

1. Go boom? They fire simultanteously, they both fire their torpedoes and hope for the best.
      Submarines
      All attacking and defending submarines present on the battle board fire in this step. If submarines are present on both sides, they are considered to fire simultaneously. Roll for attacking submarines before defending submarines. Submarines can fire only on sea units.

2. Yes.
      Submarines
      Submarines may move through hostile sea zones as if they were friendly, and they do not have to engage enemy sea units in those zones. However, a submarine that ends its combat move in a hostile sea zone must enter combat. In addition, if a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer, it must end its movement there.

3. No.
      Sea Units: Sea units can move through any friendly sea zone. They cannot move into or through hostile sea zones, except when the enemy forces consist of only submerged submarines.

All quotes are LHTR.

So, you could move the Australian Submarine and the Indian fighter to Pearl Harbor before Japan can hit it?

So, why isn’t that done more often?

• 2007 AAR League

wow that is something i never noticed lol I may use the because I tend to never use the British sub ne way :-o

• @Jennifer:

So, you could move the Australian Submarine and the Indian fighter to Pearl Harbor before Japan can hit it?

So, why isn’t that done more often?

I dont know, but im going to start doing it.  :wink:

• @Jennifer:

No, because of DISTANCE.

It is 3 spaces to Pearl SZ52 from SZ40 (SE Australia).  Naval units can only move 2 spaces.

• 2007 AAR League

Oh lol that could be why no one uses it … I was just about to use it too tomorrow vs my friends  :x

@ncscswitch:

@Jennifer:

No, because of DISTANCE.

It is 3 spaces to Pearl SZ52 from SZ40 (SE Australia).  Naval units can only move 2 spaces.

Bah, stop it with your fancy counting!  If we wanted the input of Sesamee Street’s Count, we woulda asked him to join in our little fantasy world!!!  wink

• Hey! I was wondering why no one else played sub to Pearl Harbor. Grr, There’s a 50/50 chance that jet sub was the one that dented my battleship. Ah well, I should have spotted that.

• 2007 AAR League

Actually the answer to question 3 is: yes. A sub may move through ANY sea zone during non-combat as long as the sea zone doesn’t contain a destroyer and it doesn’t end it’s move in a sea zone with enemy ships. So, yes, it may sail under another sub during non-combat.

• @ShadowHAwk:

Eh but 2 does not state it has to be a combat move. And since submarines threat hostile seazones as friendly the zone is effectively not a hostile zone and number 3 allows the movement. I would say Yes to question 3 based on this. Moving through a friendly seazone is not considered a combat move and the SZ not containing destroyers is effectively a friendly seazone for a sub.

Well, I’d be willing to advocate both views. As I quoted submarines treat hostile sea zones as friendly, but that statement is under “combat movement phase”. Looking under “ncm phase” this is not repeated, in fact, it states that NO sea units may move through hostile sea zones EXCEPT in the case of enemy submerged submarines.

Might be worth looking more into, but I assume mostly for theoretical interest.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m