• Ok, now that we’re competing to come up with the simplest explanation…  :-P

… I have another one:

The british fleet commander sends his fleet(BB, 2 subs, 1 loaded trn) to capture the German beaches. However, the fleet encounters German subs. While the transport escapes to offload its units the BB is held back and must defend itself. The subs are sunk, but the big guns are still smoking and in need of a reload as the men charge the beaches. In other words the BB can’t both fend off 2 angry German subs and provide cover-fire for the troops.  :-)

If you want the cover-fire the transport will have to wait in cover of the BB and attack later. (ie. the next turn)

• now its all clear to me

its simpy cannot be done

thank you for your patience with me

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

No problem.  Believe me, if there’s a rule anyone in the world has ever tried to get around, we’ve discussed it. :)  You’re not the first to want to do this, and you won’t be the last!

• And the combat sequence can also be used to your favor against BB shots when defending…

No matter how big your fleet is, no matter if you have 10 Battleships, it only takes 1 SUB (or TRN, or any other ship) to totally prevent ANY AND ALL battleship shots.

I had a game a while back where UK bought 5 BB’s, and all Germany had to do was buy 1 sub to block all 5 support shots :-)

• yes, it has sence

• While we are at it asking questions, I have a question about aircraft and aircraft carriers.

In an earlier statement by Switch, he said that you can send a fighter to an empty SZ in your non-combat move as long as an allied carrier is committed to move their and have it land on it.  Say I do this and the enemy obstructs my path to the SZ to pick up the allied fighter with my AC……do I remove that fighter off the board to simulate that it has ran out of fuel and crashed in the middle of the ocean?

• only if you are buying a new carrier

otherwise i suppose that your fighter is going down

• OK, let me clarify…

The idea of an allied AC moving to let your FIG land on it was an interpretation of the rule sthat was posted by another originally.

It is generally accepted that such is NOT the case and that the FIGs ahve to actually alnd at the end of their nations turn… not hover and wiat for a friendly AC to come for them :-)

• @ncscswitch:

OK, let me clarify…

The idea of an allied AC moving to let your FIG land on it was an interpretation of the rule sthat was posted by another originally.

It is generally accepted that such is NOT the case and that the FIGs ahve to actually alnd at the end of their nations turn… not hover and wiat for a friendly AC to come for them :-)

Ahhhhhhh okay.  One of these days Ill have to play with national advantages and use kamakazees.  Those Japanese fighters are on a one way ticket. :-o

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

I had a game a while back where UK bought 5 BB’s, and all Germany had to do was buy 1 sub to block all 5 support shots :-)

And Switch that is just plain rule thumping/game breaking  :roll:    :wink:

• It was legal, and it worked :-P

• yeah but really those battle ships still did their job.  4 at a 4 will kill 2-3 inf per turn, well 2 inf = 6 3 = 9 so killing a sub worth 8 is just just as good and pretty much garunteed.  Personally, I think I would have just bought three inf instead and risked it.

I’da sent fighters to kill the sub and BB/Trn to an unguarded territory.  :P

Now he’s loosing 2-3 infantry in, say, Western Europe and a Submarine near Berlin.  I’m loosing 1 Infantry I sent to die on the shores to justify an invasion attempt so I could plunder naval resources and have my own, personal, fireworks display!!!

• 2007 AAR League

Welll, he didn´t have more then 1-2 inf in wetern and no troops in Norway…  so that was kinda pointless…

And it isn´t a good idea to buy 4-5 BB it´s a waste of cash of course… (i just wanted to try)

• I’da sent fighters to kill the sub and BB/Trn to an unguarded territory.

Now he’s loosing 2-3 infantry in, say, Western Europe and a Submarine near Berlin.  I’m loosing 1 Infantry I sent to die on the shores to justify an invasion attempt so I could plunder naval resources and have my own, personal, fireworks display!!!

Doesn’t work that way, Jen. All combat happens at the same time. When you declare your bb + tran to move to the sub seazone, they have to engage the sub first. It doesn’t go your airforce clears the zone, then they go in and offload. They all go at the same time, which means the sub blocks the shots. What you’re talking about is clearing the sub with airforce then moving there in noncombat if you don’t want the sub to engage your sea units at all.

@trihero:

I’da sent fighters to kill the sub and BB/Trn to an unguarded territory.

Doesn’t work that way, Jen. All combat happens at the same time. When you declare your bb + tran to move to the sub seazone, they have to engage the sub first. It doesn’t go your airforce clears the zone, then they go in and offload. They all go at the same time, which means the sub blocks the shots. What you’re talking about is clearing the sub with airforce then moving there in noncombat if you don’t want the sub to engage your sea units at all.

You like totally mis-read my post.  Send your BB/Tran to a different sea zone then the sub, sink the sub with fighters and watch the fireworks with your BBs.

• Where’s the unguarded territory if he blocked off the Baltic? What if there are no troops or very little troops in W. Europe? You may be infinitley efficient when you can bombard a territory, but when the territory doesn’t have many or any troops to bombard, or you are blocked, you are many turns behind in amassing the necessary troops to attack.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m