• I dislike playing as Japan…mostly because I’m tired of always taking Moscow when I do…I’d rather take on the U.S., but that leaves Germany alone against UK/Russia…which is not always feasible.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I actually like the conquest of Asia as Japan.  The options to take more islands in the Pac, the possibility of taking Africa and the act of creating an empire where the Sun Never Sets on the Rising Sun (a spoof on the term The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire) is kinda fun.  Especially with games that change the territory color to the controlling country’s color…then you end up with this huge yellow map!

• 2007 AAR League

After the results of my J1 turn in the tournment, I’m gonna say Japan.  :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

@jsp4563:

After the results of my J1 turn in the tournment, I’m gonna say Japan. :evil:

After seeing your J1 results in the Tourney, I’m gonna say Japan, too.  :-D

• The US >_>

This nation requires that you think several turns in advance, and is also a bitch to revise those logistics if something is disrupted (like a Japanese invasion of Canada or a surviving German fleet). It’s far from the action, and requires a lot of transports to get into action.

• 2007 AAR League

I hate playing the UK the most

reason being, if the game is played the correct way (they will have the lowest income for a while) and bascially as far as military wise they do nothing but shuttle there max 8 troops a turn to norway, kar or archangel.  then eventually they can do some drops into europe. or setup a 1-2 punch on a strong german territory so the states can retrieve it.

other words no action. lol or the lack of action.

• I dislike Russia the most.  You spend most of your time preparing to get hammered and if the other allies don’t bail you out you’re watching the rest of the game.  If you just shuttle troops as UK it is boring too but Russia is waiting for the Axis to crush it

@Axis4life:

I dislike Russia the most.  You spend most of your time preparing to get hammered and if the other allies don’t bail you out you’re watching the rest of the game.  If you just shuttle troops as UK it is boring too but Russia is waiting for the Axis to crush it

Actually, if the other allies don’t bail me out I go buy pizza and beer and don’t share with them…I only share with the Axis players!

• I dislike the Russians most. Its a very blunt stragety. I say be Russia if you like to get your A** pounded all game. Sorry about the language

• I tend to think that Russia and UK are fairly exciting to play. You may have terrible money as the Russians but you have great positioning next to a lot of juicy German territories, and you can beat back a major offense if the Germans aren’t careful. The UK is also next to a lot of juicy German territories and is a serious pain in the ass when played correctly. I do agree the UK does sort of get too simple to play at times because literally all you have to do is load 4 inf 4 tank and offload them somewhere and that’s about it because you have no troops anywhere else, but it’s better than being Germany whose butt is always getting kicked in against good Allied players.

• I dont like England much.  Too much land spread around the world to defend is a sucky job to accomplish.

• Mine has got to be the US, just because often there’s no combat in American turns, and that always makes me feel guilty, thinking about my Russian brothers, often in dire straits.

• 2007 AAR League

my vote is for the usa because they require patience and planning ahead

• I dislike Germany, too. For me it’s always hard to make Ger effetive offensively (against an Allied triple team) and even though playing (Turtle) defense with them is fairly standard I always get the feeling that I should have done more to help Japan.

• England is the worst for me, mainly because your options are so limited and after a while you have nothing to add to the fight, but support for america and give some love in norway.

Russia is a ton of fun, whacking at germany and then trying to get them to overextend is good fun and challenging against a canny opponent.  Japan is great fun because done right Asia is just to easy of a plum to pick.  The Gerry’s ar good because action is imminent and once again a good sucker play is well worth having.  America, is probably one of the most challenging to get right and I’m still working on it, but the challenge in itself makes it interesting.

Actually, in a good game, Brition can be very effective.  They can take land and force America to do nothing all day but reinforce their holdings to prevent their loss to Germany.

• @cdassak:

I dislike Germany, too. For me it’s always hard to make Ger effetive offensively (against an Allied triple team) and even though playing (Turtle) defense with them is fairly standard I always get the feeling that I should have done more to help Japan.

The trick with Germany in a KGF is to always, no matter what, buy at least 1 offensive unit each turn.  ART if cash is tight, or an ARM since it also boosts defense.

That, with your remaining AF, will allow you to continue to annoy and harass Russia’s advances and harry Allied landings.

A single ART adds only 1 IPC to your build cost to get teh same number of units, but you get two 2’s for attack.  1 ARM gets you enough range that any remaining INF on the front lines can be boosted teh next round with an ARM to add punch to contiuing to trade with Russia.  And relying purely on AF is risky, especially if the Allies are playing well and shifting AA’s to their LZ’s…

Once you lose all of your offensive punch and you are down to 1’s for attack, you are toast.

@ncscswitch:

@cdassak:

I dislike Germany, too. For me it’s always hard to make Ger effetive offensively (against an Allied triple team) and even though playing (Turtle) defense with them is fairly standard I always get the feeling that I should have done more to help Japan.

The trick with Germany in a KGF is to always, no matter what, buy at least 1 offensive unit each turn.  ART if cash is tight, or an ARM since it also boosts defense.

That, with your remaining AF, will allow you to continue to annoy and harass Russia’s advances and harry Allied landings.

A single ART adds only 1 IPC to your build cost to get teh same number of units, but you get two 2’s for attack.  1 ARM gets you enough range that any remaining INF on the front lines can be boosted teh next round with an ARM to add punch to contiuing to trade with Russia.  And relying purely on AF is risky, especially if the Allies are playing well and shifting AA’s to their LZ’s…

Once you lose all of your offensive punch and you are down to 1’s for attack, you are toast.

Gosh, I sure do love friendly anti-aircraft guns!  Nothing’s quite as good a feeling as when you take that AA gun you didn’t buy and shoot down an enemy fighter or bomber…especially if it’s luftwaffe!

• I dislike playing the US the most. They are far from the action and are powerful. By the time they seriously get involved in the fight, they rip through the lines of the Axis and then it’s about over….I enjoy the more challenging position of the Axis…

• To me the US is very much support. It just takes WAY too long to get the transport chain in place (turn 4 or 5 before it is stably delivering 3 or 4 tran of stuff). The UK to me is doing most of the offensive heavywork against Germany. It is very quickly within range of dropping 4 tran of stuff into Europe so it tends to have the most troops in Europe, and anything that you built can be used right next turn instead of waiting a few. The US is good at liberating Africa and throwing in little bits of support troops for the first few turns, and even later is mostly just waiting for the UK to attack first while holding territories for them.

I have a bit of a different view here. To me, Germany should just buy infantry nonstop after any initial naval purchase. Germany is playing a defensive game hands down. Remember that it starts with 6 fighters, 1 bomber, and 9 tanks on the mainland. It could be very well 5 fighters, 1 bomber, and 7 tanks on the mainland after the Russian attack, but that is plenty of offensive units to trade territories or crush an early landing in W. Europe easily. You just can’t have enough defense as Germany, because you have to hold out until Russia bites it.  I do see where the 1 or 2 leftoever IPCs can be converted into art/tanks, and it is useful, but I’d rather just save every last bit and funnel it into the most efficient defense available, while using the existing network to do the heavy work.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m