Rule Question concerning Air Unit Retreat (LHTR)

• Hi guys,

I’m unclear on the following topid:

In amphibious assault, air units can retreat all at once or not at all, all clear.

But what about normal attacks: here, land or sea units must also retreat all
    at once or not at all. But, when considering the wording of the rules, it seems
    to follow that I can withdraw (attacking) air units in non-amphibious attacks arbitrarily
    (that is, at end of combat round)

For instance:

I attack a country with 2 tanks and 3 fighters.
    After first combat round, I withdraw 1 fighter.
    After second comabt, I withdraw second fighter.

Is this a correct interpretation of the rules? And what about the
    defender? Can he withdraw his fighters?

Regards,
    Peter

• Hello sponge,

No, I’m afraid your interpretation is wrong. You have to retreat ALL units or press attack, amphibious assault is the only exception.

Quoting LHTR1.3:

Attacker Retreats

The attacker can retreat during this step. The attacker may retreat only if enemy units remain on the battle board. All attacking units must retreat at the same time (except air units in amphibious assaults – see note below).

And no, a defender can’t retreat.

• If you withdraw fighters, you withdraw all of them at the same time. The fighters retreat separately from other units and can always retreat if they’re the attackers, even if it’s an amphibious assault. Unfortunately, all land units cannot retreat if there is at least 1 unit coming amphibiously in that territory. Defenders can never retreat.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The difference is that according to Amphibious assault rules you cannot retreat land units whereas in a normal land/land combat you can retreat land units.  Basically, the rules are giving you the option to retreat units that would not have to be reloaded on transports in violation of their maximum capacity by allowing aircraft (who couldnt take the land anyway) to retreat before the end of the combat.

Basically, this is a full attacker retreat, it’s just that some units cannot retreat while others can, and thus, combat has to continue until no attacking units are left or the battle is won.

• Hi,
    thanks for your answers, two things are clear to me now:

1. Amph. Assault: All air units can retreat at the same time, if they wish.
    2. Normal Battle: Air units, if they retreat, have to do this also at the same time.

Unfortunately, one ambiguity remains:  :wink:

Sankt Hallvard says:
    You have to retreat ALL units or press attack, amphibious assault is the only exception.

That sounds ok and would be supported by LHTR rules. Either retreat everything
    or nothin.

But then trihero:

@trihero:

If you withdraw fighters, you withdraw all of them at the same time. The fighters retreat separately from other units and can always retreat if they’re the attackers,

Does this mean, that in a normal land battle, I can retreat all fighters at once, even if my land
    units continue the assault?

Thanks,
    sponge

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think, and I cold be wrong here, that in a land battle you have to retreat everything or nothing.

• @the_sponge:

Does this mean, that in a normal land battle, I can retreat all fighters at once, even if my land
    units continue the assault?

No. LHTR clearly states you have to retreat all units or press attack. The only exception is in an amphibious battle where land units will have to continue fighting while the air force scuttles back home.

I understand that Trihero sort of outranks me on this forum, but I can’t figure out how he got that interpretation of his. Though, I have been known to err in the past.  :-P

• Concur with Sankt here  (who is becoming a very high grade “go to” person for answers on LHTR)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m