• '10

I know that land units cannot retreat when amphibious assaulting.  My question is if fighters are involved in the combat, are they allowed to retreat or do they have to stick it out with the land units?

• Sime,

Although the land units are “stuck in mud”, because they cannot access the transports again, the aircraft are not so limited.  Aircraft can flee the battle at the end of any round of dice (attack and defense).

Hope this helps.

• '10

Cheers, Rock.

It makes sense that the fighters could retreat after any round of combat, I just wanted to be sure that the rules supported this.

• From LHTR 1.3

Amphibious Assaults:

No land unit can retreat from the land combat portion of an amphibious assault. Attacking air units, however, may retreat in step 7 of the attack sequence. If they do so, they must retreat all at the same time. Remove them from the battle board and place them in the embattled territory on the game board. They will complete their move when all other air units finish their movement in the noncombat move phase. (See note above for air units.) All land units must continue combat until at least one side loses all its units.

• 2007 AAR League

What about a combined assault where you have ground forces attacking from an adjacent land territory & units landing, can the ground units that did not come from the transport retreat?

• No.

If you amphib just 1 INF into a land battle, then ALL land units fight to the death.

• @ncscswitch:

No.

If you amphib just 1 INF into a land battle, then ALL land units fight to the death.

that is weird. does it really add to realism or what?

• Just the way the rules have been in this game, going all the way back to 1st Edition, about 25 years ago.

You amphib in, and your other forces are supporting it… you all either live or die trying.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m