Does a canal require a transport and another transport question?

• @frimmel:

@Kristofer:

ok, I hear you. I guess weve been playng wrong then for a long time. This makes it a bit easier for Japan to get troops into Asia.

Japan has all kinds of troubles if you aren’t working the TRN situation right.

Indeed, so now I can be even more proud over the wins I had with Japan playing with the wrong rules!  :-D

• yes, but then again dont forget about japans lightning assault. ex. move TRNS from japan to midway assault move two spaces and assault eastern us. or from japan move two spaces south across asian border assault india then move two again and your practically to africa. if played right jpans transports can cover 6 spaces in one turn(lightnin assault then non-combat move)

• I think you misunderstand movement.  A transport doesn’t get a combat move, then a noncombat move.  It gets either or.  Once a transport has unloaded its units, that’s IT for the round.  No more movement.

Lightning assaults allow you to break that rule slightly, but they don’t allow you to make a second full combat move.  They allow your transport to unload in two locations while still under the normal constraints of their combat movement.

For example, a Japanese lightning-transport (JLT) with 2 units aboard could sail to the seazone between Japan and the mainland, then unload 1 unit into Japan and 1 onto the mainland.  Normal transports cannot do this.

OR, a JLT could sail one space south from Japan, drop a unit into Kwangtung, then, still during the same Combat Move, sail aother space further south and drop a unit into French Indo-China.  Again, a normal transport couldn’t do this.

~Josh

• That would be a very powerful NA for Japan the way you play it, btw!  Just imagine the possibilities!  :evil:

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

Here are a couple of other quirks regarding troop transports.

1. If you load and unload troops in the same turn ALL units on board must land.

2. If you had troops on board a transport at the beginning of your turn, you can opt to land only 1 of those units.  The other unit must remain aboard, it can NOT land in a different territory.

3. You cannot load AA guns during combat movement, AA guns only move during non-combat.  So if you plan to bring an AA gun & 1inf on one of your transports it has to be done during NCM.

4. If your transport carrying an AA gun is sunk, the AA gun is lost.  This is the only way AA guns can be destroyed.

• 2007 AAR League

@jsp4563:

Here are a couple of other quirks regarding troop transports.

1. If you load and unload troops in the same turn ALL units on board must land.

From LHTR 1.3 p23
    “It may also remain at sea with the cargo still
    aboard (but only if the cargo remaining aboard
    was loaded in a previous turn or was loaded
    this turn in the noncombat move phase).”

A unit loaded in a CM must disembark that same CM.  If two units load in a CM, they must both disembard that same CM.

A unit loaded in a NCM can remain onboard even if the other unit unloads as part of CM on a later turn.

@jsp4563:

2. If you had troops on board a transport at the beginning of your turn, you can opt to land only 1 of those units.  The other unit must remain aboard, it can NOT land in a different territory.

3. You cannot load AA guns during combat movement, AA guns only move during non-combat.  So if you plan to bring an AA gun & 1inf on one of your transports it has to be done during NCM.

4. If your transport carrying an AA gun is sunk, the AA gun is lost.  This is the only way AA guns can be destroyed.

• I do not believe that part of the original question was ever answered, here - “Does a canal require a transport…?”  It does not.  All non-sea units may, freely, cross a canal.  Therefore, the British troop may join the fight in Egypt, and troops that are in Panama are on either side of the canal.

• 2007 AAR League

One thing that I thought I would verify with this canal thread is

Aircraft can “use a canal” like a ship in terms of counting spaces traveled, regardless of who owns the land.

For example:
    Japanese CV in SZ36 launches two FTRs
    FTRs SZ36 -> SZ35 -> SZ34 -> SZ15 (attack British DD) -> land in German occupied Anglo-Egypt.

Some questions are:

• Do FTRs use the canals like ships?
      ****(Does a FTR traveling from SZ19 to SZ20 spend a movement point in Panama?)
      ****(Does a FTR traveling from SZ34 to SZ15 spend a movement point in Anglo-Egypt or Trans-Jordan?)

• Do AA guns in canal territories engage aircraft that use the canal?
      ****(Does an AA gun in Panama engage a FTR traveling from SZ20 to SZ19?)
      ****(Does an AA gun in Trans-Jordan engage a FTR traveling from SZ34 to SZ15?)
      ****(Do both AA guns in Anglo-Egypt and Trans-Jordan engage a FTR traveling from SZ15 to SZ34?)

Where is that Larry Harris guy?

• @dmcgee1:

I do not believe that part of the original question was ever answered, here - “Does a canal require a transport…?”  It does not.  All non-sea units may, freely, cross a canal.  Therefore, the British troop may join the fight in Egypt, and troops that are in Panama are on either side of the canal.

Well, land units can CROSS a canal without a Transport, but they can’t travel THROUGH one without a Transport  :evil:

• Mr. Harris can be found here: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/index.php

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m