How would you deal with this Russian Navy?

• @tcnance:

if my opponent makes that purchase in r 1 i start planning my victory speech :-D

My fellow Germans, you’ve heard the news, and now you’re going to hear, the rest of the story! :-P

• @Jennifer:

Besides, why bother building the Russian fleet???  America is in a MUCH better position to clear Africa and make Germany"s africa corps life a living nightmare leaving Russia and Brition to deal with mainland Europe.

Biggest mistake I"ve seen so far is an ultra tight focus on Eastern Europe territories and not as much on France.  If the Jerries are gunna leave the west lightly defended then take it!  At the very least you diverted some german assets from the front lines to clear a few infantry you put in France giving Russia a respite for a round or two.

I agree 100% in saying the battle shouldn’t be focussed to the East. Just today I captured France from my Dad just to drain him of Ipcs and to take strain off Russia. I’d say this is a good move because the land units in Britain are in a good position to attack considering they’re within 1 boat trip. I say this because I don’t like taking risks with full transports at sea trying to get to Africa.

• I’d ignore it first turn, kill it second turn with German fighters and Med navy.

USSR building navy is a bad idea.  I’d be happy to see a USSR naval build.  Japan and Germany will march right on into USSR.

• @tcnance:

if my opponent makes that purchase in r 1 i start planning my victory speech :-D

That’s exactly what I thought, and it came true.  Obviously this was a terrible strat for Russia, I just wanted to see how others would handle it.

• The other way I would deal with it in a friendly game is to ask if the Russian player was sure he really wanted to do that. I would ask again in my best “do you understand how very bad an idea that is” tone. This thing falls under the 6th and 7th Axioms “Be more concerned with the certain paths to defeat than the uncertain paths to victory.” and “Don’t do anything stupid.” Navy for Russia stupid and a certain path to defeat. Frankly I’d trade the sub in setup for two INF.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@frimmel:

The other way I would deal with it in a friendly game is to ask if the Russian player was sure he really wanted to do that. I would ask again in my best “do you understand how very bad an idea that is” tone. This thing falls under the 6th and 7th Axioms “Be more concerned with the certain paths to defeat than the uncertain paths to victory.” and “Don’t do anything stupid.” Navy for Russia stupid and a certain path to defeat. Frankly I’d trade the sub in setup for two INF.

Well, until Germany is defeated.  Afterwards, if Russia owns a significant portion of the land, enough that htey can afford land units and navy, a navy might be a wise investment.  It gives them a chance to attack islands and the ally with the most land wins, imho.

• I will concede that it is not “always”  :roll: a bad idea for Russia to build a Navy. It is very rare that it isn’t.

As I said, if Germany’s dead and you have more then enough forces to take out Japan (you probably do if Germany died the round previous) then making a navy is just an investment in the future.  You’ll eventually need to grab those islands so you can afford heavy bombers to knock down the stack of 500 infantry on the motherland.

You know, Shadow, that used to be my exact method way back when…(like 1995-1996 in college.)

I’d sit there with 8 American BBs, 1 Transport and 1 Infantry a round until Japan was down to 1-2 guys and then invade with 2 infantry.  Of course, we played that infantry blown up by shore bombardment couldnt return fire…the basic idea was, this guy was blown up hours before landing troops by BBs sitting miles off the coast…what’s he gunna hit with his carbine???

• Offhand I’d say I’d just try to knock out the Russian navy straight away with your BB + tran + 4 fighters + bomber. Clearing those Russian fighters, combined with no Russian land purchase, puts Russia in defense mode on the following turns. Of course you are giving up Africa very quickly and the UK will have an extra BB to play with in the med and stuff, which makes a German naval purchase hard to justify, but you’ve shocked the Russians out of their key units to trade territories.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m