Complete Chinese forces!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Complete Pro Allied forces!

Complete Pro Axis forces!

Complete Neutral Countries forces!

Lastly, anything other than World War 2!

• '16 Customizer

Good luck John! May your paint be ever-so-smooth, your brushes finely shaped, and your fingers always nimble. Join the club. :)

• '14 Customizer

I will definitely be following this thread.  You will enjoy painting John I can see it, hehe.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement. Since you guys are so supportive, I will go ahead and show you, my only two paint jobs, I’ve done.

I painted 2 German BF 109’s.

The first one was a black BF 109. I tried to paint a simple white stripe by the side decals, the problem is, I don’t know how long you too wait for the acrylic paint to dry before you do nose coloring, stripes or camo. I used a gray primer, then I painted the main color black.

When I tried to paint the stripe, I had problems, even worse when I tried to paint the nose of the plane, it would have black still showing underneath. It was looking like one big glob of a mess.

Can you all explain how you do those things and make look smooth?

The second BF 109 was suppose to be a German Green Camo, with dark and light green stripes, here again, I don’t know when to add the next camo color, because I don’t how long you wait for it too dry.

For some reason, it came out awesome, because I smeared four colors and made this affect on the plane. Now, it doesn’t have the distinct camo lines, as the German green camo, normally has, but I think it still looks sharp.

I would fly it, LOL.

Also would have liked to had a yellow nose with yellow side stripes, but maybe, you all can give me some advice.

Without further delay, here is my first works. Enjoy! :-D

John

German BF 109'S 001.JPG
    German BF 109'S 002.JPG

Those pictures did not turnout great, let me take separate shots of them. I’ll be back! :-(

I hope this is better!

Painted Bf's! 001.JPG
    Painted Bf's! 002.JPG

Here is the black one!

Painted Bf's! 003.JPG
    Painted Bf's! 004.JPG

These aren’t much better, but at least the first picture on these last pictures will show you the green and black camo a little.

Let me know what you think? :-D

John

• '16 Customizer

@John:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement. Since you guys are so supportive, I will go ahead and show you, my only two paint jobs, I’ve done.

I painted 2 German BF 109’s.

The first one was a black BF 109. I tried to paint a simple white stripe by the side decals, the problem is, I don’t know how long you too wait for the acrylic paint to dry before you do nose coloring, stripes or camo. I used a gray primer, then I painted the main color black.

If you want a crisp line or distinction between the two layers you have you should wait for the first layer to completely dry. This varies based on how thick the paint it, but generally I’d estimate 5-10 minutes. When in doubt, wait. At least we’re not using oils haha. You’ll come to know the properties of your paint the more that you practice. I try to paint thin coats, rather than globs, so that it dries faster and it makes it lookes crisper and less of a “glob of a mess”. :)

When I tried to paint the stripe, I had problems, even worse when I tried to paint the nose of the plane, it would have black still showing underneath. It was looking like one big glob of a mess.

This is a problem that you will run into when painting a lighter color over a darker color (especially). Well, really any color over another color, as your brush will leave a a streaked layer of paint, so the bottom often shines through the top. The solution? Multiple coats. I often paint a stripe, and then revisit it a few minutes later and go back over it to make sure nothing shows through.

Plane noses are just hard to paint without looking globby. Use a small brush and spread it around as best you can, and then just accept the fact that it will often look globby :/ Especially on the Bf 109. Other models have better shaped noses.

Can you all explain how you do those things and make look smooth?

The second BF 109 was suppose to be a German Green Camo, with dark and light green stripes, here again, I don’t know when to add the next camo color, because I don’t how long you wait for it too dry.

For some reason, it came out awesome, because I smeared four colors and made this affect on the plane. Now, it doesn’t have the distinct camo lines, as the German green camo, normally has, but I think it still looks sharp.

Yeah, if you wanted distinct lines you probably didn’t wait long enough, but as you said, it looks pretty cool! I have never been able to blend colors like that, so maybe you can teach me a thing or two! :D

I would fly it, LOL.

HA!

Also would have liked to had a yellow nose with yellow side stripes, but maybe, you all can give me some advice.

See above advice on painting over another color. Warning: Yellow doesn’t have very much pigment, so it is notoriously hard to paint anything yellow. I normally paint two coats on the base of an infantry piece, but with the British (yellow base) it took 5 coats. Don’t let that dissuade you from using it; just know that you will probably have to put more paint over it than you’d expect.

General rule of thumb: The thicker the paint on the piece, the more vibrant the color will be. For example: a thin coat followed by a follow up coat will generally give you crisper lines, but sometimes it helps to put more paint on the piece and make the layer thicker to make it cover the bottom layer more effectively. Does that make any semblance of sense? Sorry if some of this is intimidating or useless.

Without further delay, here is my first works. Enjoy! :-D

Nice start!

John

• '16 Customizer

Nice application of the decals by the way.

@Spitfire38:

Nice application of the decals by the way.

Thanks buddy! I think my next green camo will be a lot better! Thanks so much for the advice! :-D

Boy, you weren’t kidding about the yellow! Geez Louise!

In case you guys are wondering about the blank posts, those are reserved for pictures of each countries whole armies.

I will be posting more planes on Monday or Tuesday!

In case your wondering, I will be working on Germany first, as you see by the two German BF 109’s, I’ve just done.

Until next time, over and out! :-D

@cyanight:

I will definitely be following this thread.  You will enjoy painting John I can see it, hehe.Â

Cyanight, I never thought I would say this, but I maybe addicted to this, LOL. Of course my wife went, “Oh nooo, not another hobby!” LOL, I was rolling, when she told me that. Goodtimes! :-D

Guys, I did 4 more planes over the weekend, but I’m disappointed in them.

When I put the setting solution and decals on, it smeared my paint jobs, and it is frustrating, because they looked pretty decent for a beginning painter, but now I don’t know what to think.

The planes looked like they have been through a war.

I just have to put the matte coating on it next.

I did 2 more BF 109’s and 2 Stuka Dive Bombers.

I will post them Thursday.

I got some questions for you painters. Spitfire38, has answered some of these questions, but would like to hear others opinions.

1. After you prime the piece, when you do a two or multiple camo scheme, do you paint your primary color first, and how long do you let it dry?

2. Do you immediately start the second color or do you wait a day?

3. Do you paint the cockpit, stripes and nose pieces first on the primer or after your paint job?

4. How long do you wait to put decals on, after a paint job?

5. How long after your paint job and decals, do you put your protective coat?

6. What color primer is best for the different colors?

7. Do you do anything special on camo striping?

Getting these questions answered can help me show you better pictures. My ultimate plan is to paint OOB and all HBG pieces for a continuous global game and beyond.

In order for me to be a better painter, I have to ask these questions, because of my inexperience.

Your expertise will be valuable to me, because I want to get better and give you better photos.

Thanks guys! I will be looking forward to your responses. :-D

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m