• I say we petition Larry Harris to change the name of Africa to Arrica.  :-D

• Fisrt turn, germany buys an IC, a tranny and an aircraft carrier. Connect your med fleet with your baltic fleet and then add everything you bought on western europe seazone (2 fighters land on aircraft of course!).

Germany now has a very powerfull fleet (2 subs, 1 destroyer, 2 trannies, 1 aircraft + 2 fighters and a battleship). I play with NA so next turn i buy 1 or 2 subs to have the wolfpack attack and affect uk and usa economy. It radically changes the game. America and UK have to face an unusual threat. Of course Russia will rule for some rounds…

• Germany now has a very powerfull fleet (2 subs, 1 destroyer, 2 trannies, 1 aircraft + 2 fighters and a battleship). I play with NA so next turn i buy 1 or 2 subs to have the wolfpack attack and affect uk and usa economy. It radically changes the game. America and UK have to face an unusual threat. Of course Russia will rule for some rounds…

I think you mean 3 subs, right? 'Cuz the one from SZ8 meets with the med fleet on G1, then they link on G2.

Letting Russia rule is very dangerous! I would advise against spending more than cash on the carrier; the tranny and IC aren’t going to help you much against a properly aggressive Russian player.

Inevitably you will lose your fleet, as well. The UK and US have 70 IPCs between them that can be dedicated just to taking your fleet out. You only have 40 IPCs to spend, and probably a lot less if you want to keep your Eastern territories against the Russians. Sure sure you can buy like 3 carriers total over a few turns and have 6 fighters land on them which is very efficient for your money, and it’ll stall them for a while, but Russia isn’t quite as weak as it looks. If you let it get out of hand you could be staring at them at Eastern Europe in a few rounds.

I’d probably beef up some land troops with UK while building transports. The Americans would start off with 2 carriers and a fighter, then churn out fighters for a couple turns afterwards depending on how much navy the Germans have. If the Germans stay off of Western Europe, the Americans can nail them with 8 fighters, 2 destroyers, 2 transports, 2 carriers and 1 bomber on US3. If the German fleet is too powerful, wait until US4 and add 3 fighters, 1 battleship, and another transport to the mix. If for some ridiculous reason the Germans have such a strong navy as to still dissuade you, wait until US 5 with 4 more fighters.

The German navy can be tough, but you can also wind up losing a lot of fighters in the water and certainly Russia will have you by the throat with you unable to push back without enough land troops.

• well… question was IC or not for germany, if yes, where? I almost never buy an IC and always rock on russia. BUT, if i would want to try something new, western IC can be fun

• I agree, U-505.  Any additional IC is a money pit!  Germany just has to devote materiel to support and protect the new IC, when more pressing concerns exist.  Japan has need for the new IC, because its original placement value is so low and the additional problem of tranny’s required to get troops to the mainland.

• Does it get you to Moscow faster than anything else you can build with 15 IPCs? Anything that Germany buys that can’t shoot and take a hit is a bad idea.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

German IC in India.  Now there’s a wicked thought!

@U-505:

Jennifer,

I prefer a German IC in Central U.S. Because if I make it that far I’m building one there just or fun.

In that case, dear, build it in Brazil.  It’s always fun to build 3 inf a round there and freak out the American player!  The trick is putting enough in the initial invasion to HOLD it until you can start building.  (You also have to time it so Japan can put the screws to the US making him/her decide on Brazil or Pacific.)

Also, a determined American will definately win in Brazil.  However, s/he might loose an entire round of spending in the Pacific AND the gain of the IC in Brazil is a liability to the US, now they have to actually defend it.  Unfortunately, the US has no need for an IC in Brazil.  (Classic A&A anyway.)

Yea, I’d heard of that plan.  It doesn’t work well.  It’s much cheaper to buy two transports and do a long range infantry shuffle then it is to build an immovable IC

• I don’t think I have this kind of athority but I think this topic should pretty much be over.  I mean you have sixteen… SIXTEEN units you can build just with your beginning ICs.  If you actually are rich enough to buy more than sixteen infantry DON’T, buy a tank or go crazy and buy a bomber.  If you can build more than sixteen infantry the game is basically over.

The only time I have ever built an IC as Germany was when I had already beat Russia.  The game was already won for the Axis and I was just fooling around and put one in Western Europe so that my navy could reach U.S. quicker (total victory).

• 2007 AAR League

In my view you should only consider building an IC for one of 2 reasons.

1. Your income exceeds you current build capacity (Usually Japan).  If Germany (with a 16 unit starting capacity) is in this position the game is already over.

2. Your existing IC’s make it difficult/impossible to get forces to the front line (Usually the US & UK). Germany’s IC placement makes this very unlikely.  If German forces have pushed that far east then there is already an IC in the Caucasus.

I can’t think of any scenario where I would consider building a German IC (or a Russian one for that matter).

• German:
    As a means of dropping navy direct into SZ7 by putting an IC in Western.  Would be a ballsy strat… stalling in the east and going hard core on UK… a means of doing a 2 stage KUKF instead of just the TRN build and sail out of Baltic.

Russian:
    Upon taking and holding Manch as a means of buildign TRNs to land in Japan (late game, Allies would already have won)

I’m still thinking German IC is a waste of 15 IPCs.

However, as I investigate AAR a bit more, I can sorta see strategic value in an IC in Egypt, maybe one in India if Japan doesn’t get it first.  Brazil doesn’t even make sense, you cannot go through neutrals anymore and thus, theres no way to build up in Brazil and walk into America.

• I captured a British IC in Egypt once, and it helped quite a bit in allowing me to jointly flank Russia from the south with help from Japanese inf. via India.

Of course, I didn’t have to buy the thing.

I personally like the thought of an IC in West Europe, but only if Russia is being stupid.  :-P

• Never.  Never build an IC with Germany.

Two transports cost 1 IPC more.  They can shuttle four units into Ukraine a turn, or can hit Egypt.  Transports make the Allies require more time to hit the German med fleet with pure air, and if the Allies draw within two spaces of the Med fleet, the Med fleet can suicide along with German air to kill the Allied fleet.

Early game, you don’t need an IC, transports are better.  Late game, you can’t afford one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m