• Just curious about the varying tastes around here, as far as drinks go.

I prefer Bourbon, any beer that’s not a major US brand (from time to time I brew my own), Merlot, and sake.  I’ll drink/try just about anything else as long as it’s atleast decent quality (no plastic bottles, box wine, etc.), and have gone far enough to make my own Absinthe - quite an experience.  :-D

By no means am I a habitual drinker (a six pack of beer can last me a week), but I’m curious to see what other people recommend for my next outing.

Switch - I already know you drink Newcastle, so if I’m ever in the area, I got the next round.  :-)

• Yep… Newcastle here, and the occasional Fosters for variety.

Also do a pretty fair amount of wine in this house.  I drink mostly whites (used to drink a LOT of red wine, but had this bad experience with some Cabernet Sauvignon about a year ago and have had trouble with high-tannin reds ever since).  Angel drinks a lot of Shiraz, also some Merlot and Pinot Noir.

As for boxed wines… I actually LIKE Almaden Mountain Rhine as a light white wine for with dinner.

Then of course there is also the occasional Stoli’s on the rocks for me, or Amaretto on the rocks for Angel.

As for volume…
    Let me put it this way, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of our grocery bill is alcohol.
    Pickled Liver anyone?

• Alcohol is strictly vorbotten! no smoking  or meat eating either. Be kind to your German Sheperd as well. And give your guns back to the state!

• I have Newcastle, a medium rare Ribeye, cats, and a semi-auto…

Come and get 'em! :-P

• My favorite drink: Genuine draft… I’m pretty simple

To give to girls :Everclear (sp) Jello shots.  A nice “fun” way to get girls to drink, and you seem like a nice guy later who they want to get to know better.    8-)

Because I am an ass: A cement mixer.  You tell a friend you want them to try a new shot you heard about.  You give them 2 shot glasses, one has Baileys Irish Cream, the other has lime Juice.  Tell the guy to take the shot of baileys, swirl it in his mouth, than take the shot of lime and swirl it Gulp.  The Lime will curdle the milk in the baileys.  :evil:

• Beer is my poison of choice. I like hard liquor occasionally, preferably rum, since i cant stomach whiskey anymore (BAD experience), and i also dont like the fruity flavored rums. Most other liquor is tolerable, but i prefer beer. GOOD beer. I dont care who makes it, where its from, or what its called, if it tastes good, i like it. Anything that can reasonably be considered acceptable to play a drinking game with (generally, beirut or beerpong for you heathens) is NOT good beer. To give you a sense of my scale, MGD is the best beer that you can play beirut with, anything above that is real beer. I prefer darker beers too. Guinness is my favorite, but a little heavy for frequent consumption. Give me a Sam’s Specialty beer, Yuengling, Molson anything, Honey Brown, etc. Stuff like Heineken i dont particularly like (I prefer Lager to Ale, in general). Absinthe is the best liquor ever to grace this earth! Delicious! Jeromo, if you can ever get some real absinthe, i highly reccomend it. Its delicious, exotic (since its not available in the US) and it’ll get you DRUNK! REALLY REALLY DRUNK. Tip: dont go in a hot tub after downing 1/3 of a bottle.
    personal reccomendation: Hill’s is my favorite so far, ive tried about 4 or 5 varieties. Hill’s was the best tasting i found, though they are all good.

• Anyone else have a bad tequila story?  It seems everyone I talk to who drinks a reasonable amount has one… 
    Speaking of tequila, I particularly like a drink my father “invented:”
    Chihuahua piss - mix grapefruit juice and tequila, preferrably 2:1

Switch - Did you know Newcastle funds rehabilitation centers for alcoholics at their HQ?  Well, maybe not at the plant itself, but somewhere in town…  I call that responsible drinking!

IL - teetotalers were the downfall of the 3rd Reich!  :-P

Zooey - you forgot to mention Jello body shots.  But I would bet that your tactics are rusty with having a Mrs.

Janus - I’ve tried genuine Absinthe, and it is good, but it depends on where you get it.  I must say that the experience with what I brewed was more than just feeling drunk - there was definitely a slight “trippy” feel to it.  Not to mention the second time I made it, there was NO alcohol smell whatsoever - which was odd (I took it to mean I did something right…heheh).  Where is Hill’s from?  Is it a microbrew?  Also, if you like beer so much, I highly recommend brewing your own some time.  It’s not that hard, there’s a moderate start up fee (usually you can find biz partners), and it’s great to feel the accomplishment of making your own beer.  I love Sam Smith’s stuff as well (mmm…Oatmeal Stout).  However, Heineken is a lager, if I’m not mistaken.  I think you meant your prefer ale to a lager, based on your examples (not trying to one-up you, just reinforcing the home brew idea  :-D  ).  By the way - have you ever seen Half-Baked?

• Janus, if you like darker bears, but find Guiness too heavy for frequent use, try Newcastle.  I think you will enjoy it :-)

• Spaten is the best beer around . What is not clear about that point?

• @Imperious:

Spaten is the best beer around . What is not clear about that point?

The fact that your didn’t say Optimator.

Doppelbocks are for real beer drinkers.  :wink:

• Hill’s is a major Czech Absinthe label. its 140 proof, light green, kinda like alcoholic mouthwash with a liquorice kick. very good. low thujone content (thats the stuff that makes you “hallucinate”), but very good alcohol. Sam Smith? never heard of it. i meant Sam Adams specialty beers (Black Lager, Brown Ale, Holiday Porter, etc.) im pretty sure heineken is an ale, actually, though not positive (they do make a lager, but i think the traditional “heineken” is an ale). i generally prefer lagers, stouts, and porters to ales. yuengling is a lager, as is molson. as is honey brown. anyway, i really want to try sam’s extreme beers, like the triple bock, and the chocolate bock, and the millenium, which is like 25% alcohol! not carbonated though, it sounds really interesting

• It’s Guinness or Heineken, beer-wise, Tullamore Dew and Stolichnaya spirits- wise. Long Island Ice Tea or the classical Tequila Sunrise are my cocktails of choice. Anything the Gallo Brothers come up when wine is concerned, and the standard Coke if I have to stay sober.

• You people are a little too yuppie & upscale for me. Give me a case of Busch beer and I’m in heaven!!

• Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both f’ing close to water :-P

• @ncscswitch:

Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

Amen to that.

@MADDOGG:

You people are a little too yuppie & upscale for me. Give me a case of Busch beer and I’m in heaven!!

Well, I’m “old Europe” by birth and by location, so there’s no “yuppie& upscale” to that.

Just the liquid expression of historical supremacy :D.

• Yuengling, Honey Brown, Sam Adams, all GOOD American beers. Damn good.

• And all just poor imitations of their European superiors :-P

• @ncscswitch:

Maddog, you know what American beer and sex in a canoe have in common?

are you Canadian??
    Because this is a standard saying over here.

Of course American beer is more accessible to Canadians than Canadian beer because we can get it in the supermarket - i think we call it Snapple.

• LOL!  No, I just think that is my genetics talking to my taste buds… I come from a long line of very short Bavarians (and the obligatory great grandmother who was Crow).  GOOD beer is in my genes.

And the fact that my Father was a regional sales rep for Christian Scmhidt’s for a few years… well lets just say I leanred all about American beer during that time…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m