• @triforce:

I always manage to take it in J1.

Without the Kwang tranny, it will be at least J2 before you can take India IF UK tries to hold it (move an INF from Persia, land the AC based FIG in India)

The exception is a total-airforce attack on India, and the 2 INF from FIC to back up the planes.

Since Japan is “taking” India on J1, that means only 1 INF fodder, the rest of the losses (from 4 INF, 1 FIG and an AA gun) are going to come from the Japan AF.  Figure 2-3 FIGs lost in taking India J1.

And with that many FIGs assigned to India, China is NOT going to happen on J1, allowing US to consolidate in Sinkiang, plus USSR forces from Novo and/or Kazakh, giving Japan a nut of 6-8 INF and a FIG to crack Sinkiang.

And all future Japan battles will be with 50% LESS air power.

I call that a GREAT trade for 5 UK units that are considered “dead men walking” at game start.

Unless UK pulls out of India on UK1, Japan should NOT attack India until J2 (unless somehow the Kwang tranny survived…)

• Absolute total agreement with switch.

• i think j3 is the prime turn to take india, the amount of land forces you will have in the area will fuel your mid-east expansion and you can often hit india without any air exposed to the aa gun.

i am thinking of a strategy to recapture india with uk from africa. this is not “optimal” since it is not KGF but variety is the spice of life!

• Crit… I would think that a major ellemtn to implement might include consolidating the UK navy somewhere in the Southern Indian Ocean (perhaps SZ30) on UK 1, then moving to Australia, and then making your move on India.

You will need land forces… you will need naval protection.  So consolidating the fleet to allow for both possibilities seems essential.

The flaw with such a strat is of course having any UK units in Africa that can move toward India after G1…

• precisely switch, it would require a south african complex which pulls away from europe (hence the “sub obtimal” diagnosis)
    if i pull uk again this weekend i am going to try it (the fleet down by madagascar and only hitting the jap sub with one sub, no fig)

• Maybe an Australian complex wouldn’t be that bad in the UK strategy you’re talking about?
    Good for having ships and planes and good options to go island hopping soon after…
    right?

• since most go for a KGF strat it seems that a IC in Aust. would be nothing more than a waste of IPCs.  If you have found a way to go for Japan first, I would say you have to have one in Aust.

• @Axel:

Maybe an Australian complex wouldn’t be that bad in the UK strategy you’re talking about?
    Good for having ships and planes and good options to go island hopping soon after…
    right?

why have Japan spend a turn and go kill you down there. I usually leave Australia alone when I’m playing Japan because its a little out of the way from my strategy, but if my opponet ever put an IC down there I can guarntee that would be 3 IPC’s Brittain wouldn’t be collecting for the rest of the game. And at what cost is this to the effort against germany? Your’re spending 15ipcs and whatever you plan to purchase in Naval and land units to justify the build of the IC in the first place. That is going to end up being quite alot of economy not going into a vital place. Japan can see it coming and react quickly to this move in my opinion. The only place I would consider a factory with the UK is Egypt.

• In addition to the drain on the UK economy facing Germany, there is another factor as well…

In order for the Australian IC to not be quickly lost, the US is going to have to spend a pretty significant amount of IPC’s on naval, AF, and even land forces to be sent to the South Pacific to help protect that IC.

Pulling half of UK’s resources off of Germany, and probably half or more of the US forces off Germany means that Russia is in deep Kimchee.

And Germany being able to nearly ignore UK and US for even a couple of rounds will MORE than make up for the minor easing of pressure on Russia’s eastern borders while Japan diverts forces to Australia.

Russia cannot stand alone against Germany.

• @ncscswitch:

In addition to the drain on the UK economy facing Germany, there is another factor as well…

In order for the Australian IC to not be quickly lost, the US is going to have to spend a pretty significant amount of IPC’s on naval, AF, and even land forces to be sent to the South Pacific to help protect that IC.

Pulling half of UK’s resources off of Germany, and probably half or more of the US forces off Germany means that Russia is in deep Kimchee.Â

And Germany being able to nearly ignore UK and US for even a couple of rounds will MORE than make up for the minor easing of pressure on Russia’s eastern borders while Japan diverts forces to Australia.

Russia cannot stand alone against Germany.

exactly…if my opponet ever tried this strategy against me, I’d be very, very happy as the German player

• I NEVER said that building an IC in Australia is a good thing to do!!!

I was only giving critmonster another option than building an IC in South Africa…
    And he told so, too: this is only a SUBoptimal strategy!
    so, why bother building one in South Africa or Australia?
    these strategies are not near as good as the one and only strategy everyone believes to be the best: KGF!

nonetheless, when I play guys who have played before, I would not build an IC in Australia.
    But for reasons of FUN, I would like to try it once and see how it develops, this however is only possible with a newbie :-)

• i used to build aussie complexes in classic to harass the japs in a kjf strategy, it was fun and more challenging to be sure.

our last game we used NA’s and i got colonial garrison and placed it in south africa.  i was able to secure africa without usa helping but could not stem the japanese tide effectively in persia, will need to rethink, ESPECIALLY if not given a free complex.  this is obviously sub-optimal as i stated earlier, but the idea is FUN not ego with our group

• thx for the backup, critmonster

• :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m