• Avalon Hill just made a great game greater. They have made the sides much more even for advanced players. I also own the old version of A&A. I plan on using the new pieces when I play the old version also. Having no piece trays with the new game was a little disapointing but, I just use my trays from the old game. The pieces in revised A&A look cool and the planes now stay on the carriers easier but, now the thin submarines tip over alot. So instead of putting planes back on carriers, I am now standing my subs back up all the time. I especially like the artillery pieces giving infantry better attack and that you can transport more stuff on one transport. Two hit battleships finally make them worth 24 IPC’s. Best of all, No one has the strategy completely figured out like the old game was. More room for original tactics and strategies to suprise your friends.

• is the revised one shorter? How long does it take to play the revised one?

• I like the fact that the map is easier to read, though i did like the blow-up zones, but i guess the cards will do. You can now tell britan and japan apart without having to stare at it.

As for the lack of trays, i recommend getting small tackle boxes, like for fishing. you can find them the size that the ones in the old version are, and they have lids, and are more durable.

• 2007 AAR League

Ry, it just depends on how fast they players you are with play. I’d say a close and well thought out game could last anywhere from 3-5 hours. If you’re playing fast, maybe 2. Hope this helps.

• I got the revised edition for Christmas and finally got to play it when I traveled to my hometime for a visit. We played 2 games on different days and I can say that after the second game I really like this version.

My main gripe is the lack of trays. I too went out and bought some little plastic tackle boxes. This worked out well but the game should have come with something.

At first I didnt like the dark color of the Oceans on the new board but I got used to them by the end of my first game.

Overall it is a good varient of the Original and opens up a lot of new strategies. :)

• in the begining i was just wanted to win and to have the best strategy

now i enjoy in teh game its really fun and entertaining

the national advanatges are really helping here

itsnot the same without them

• 2007 AAR League

I have to chuckle at the griping about no plastic boxes for the parts.

I look up into the top of the closet at a collection of AH games and I can’t think of a single one that has part containers.  In fact, I remember being thrilled when ziplock sandwich bags came out because the old fashioned tuck flap style really sucked at holding all the pieces of Tactics II, Wooden Ships and Iron Men or The Russian Campaign.  Whether it was Squad Leader with all it’s expansion packs or War at Sea, there always seemed to be large collection of ziplock baggies in the box.

I guess somethings about Avalon Hill games never change.

• @Baghdaddy:

I have to chuckle at the griping about no plastic boxes for the parts.

I look up into the top of the closet at a collection of AH games and I can’t think of a single one that has part containers.  In fact, I remember being thrilled when ziplock sandwich bags came out because the old fashioned tuck flap style really sucked at holding all the pieces of Tactics II, Wooden Ships and Iron Men or The Russian Campaign.  Whether it was Squad Leader with all it’s expansion packs or War at Sea, there always seemed to be large collection of ziplock baggies in the box.

I guess somethings about Avalon Hill games never change.

yeeaaah, ziploc baaaags, boiiiiiii!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

post count +1

beer

The new storage ziplock bags are really nice.

• Just skip the baggies AND the game box.

Just get one of those nice little “small parts organizer” drawer units from a home supply store.  40+ drawers (the more, the better, 60+ is ideal) and split the pieces by type and nation, have drawers for chips, dice, AA, etc. and then just sit the unit next to your game board and grab what you need as you need it.

Depending on the style you get, they can also be very portable if you need to take your set to another location to game :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Good idea Switch.  Now if we only had one of those boards like in the Avalon Hill Bookshelf games that folded down into an 8 X 10 inch size so you could put it in a tray underneath the organizer!

• 2007 AAR League

Simple solution. Canabilize the original AA. Nice big box, nice foam trays, lots of extra chips, units and dice.
    Can’t go wrong.
    Mateooo

• @Jennifer:

Good idea Switch.  Now if we only had one of those boards like in the Avalon Hill Bookshelf games that folded down into an 8 X 10 inch size so you could put it in a tray underneath the organizer!

Go to your local print shop, have a duplicate board printed (perhaps 20% to 30% larger to make Europe a little less cluttered), have it laminated while there (my local print shop charged me $7.00 to copy my board at same-size, and lamintaion would ahve been $13, but I only made teh copy for “Wall Art” in my office at work).

Then, to the top of your drawer organizer, add a couple of velcro straps to hold the rolled game board.  Add a few nice weights to hold teh board flat when unrolled to one o fhte drawers and PRESTO!  a 1 handle, easy to carry, and totally organized AAR set.  (You could also just add a vinyl pouch to the back of the organizer with a size large enough to hold teh 6-fold game board…)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m