• I have tried this strat before. Without solid allies who play “as a team” then it is quite foolhardy. With approprate biding it is even sillier (unless Germany places in Africa etc.).
    Still, i like the idea - even tho’ i do tend to only play RR.

• Im not an inexperienced player. Its just a strategy, im not using it at every games. Seriously i tried it once and i wont 2/4 combats. There is a lot of other safer strat, but its fun to try something new.

Really then what kind of bid was played. IMO this risk of this strat should be severely weakened if the Axis either bid 5+ units into Ukr, or bid at least 2inf-Manch in conjunction with an Africa bid of some sort. For this reason it really isn’t a good idea.

• WTF r u talking about when u say bids? Is it new rules ? ive never seen this be4 this site.

And the Poll should be “will u TRY this strat”

• @Ashkayel:

WTF r u talking about when u say bids? Is it new rules ? ive never seen this be4 this site.

And the Poll should be “will u TRY this strat”

A bid considers that the game is in favor of the Allies. This means that without Russia Restricted, the Allies will win around around 19/20 times.
    If you are playing with 2 players, you bid “x” ipcs to determine who will take the Axis (i.e. the person who “bids” the least ipcs will play the Axis).

Do a search on “bidding” or “bids” so that you may see what others have to see on the subject.

• Tanks moved into dice-roll combat are not allowed to move in non-combat. After you win a dice-roll battle with them, they are required to stay in the newly claimed land.

Attacking the Tr, S in the Baltic w/o ftrs gives you unfavorable odds.

Most players I know would rather bulk up a defensive position rather than attack w/disfavor. It risks opening up favorable counter-attacks by your opponent.

• Also the biggest reason to not do the crazy Ivan is that it ends up sacking a couple of russian armor in EE/Ukr just to protect Ukr. In the end the only reason the Germans care about EEuro on G1 is to counter attack Ukr if Russia took it, but if you’ve already killed 1-2 of your armor anyway then who cares if I lost a few inf. I’m still better off than if I counterattacked Ukr(4inf 3arm or 5inf 3arm) with 3inf arm f/EEuro, 2arm f/Germ, and arm f/SEuro.

I don’t think I’d try this strat just because I don’t think it is needed for Russia to be that aggressive in Round 1 in a non RR or non-bid game.

I do usually play RR and would would consider doing something like that in Round 2 minus the baltic battle of course. Manch would be a tough call in round 2, but if Japan attacked too much in rd 1 it could be open.

I’ll hit Fin, Ukr and Cauc (if taken by Ger), and I’d consider hitting Man if it was left open.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d rather just jump E.Europe with everything I can (less tanks) and use the Tranny/Sub in baltic.

Once you have E.Euro you cut off Germany and Italy from attacking Karelia and if you have 8 inf, 2 arm, 2 fgt there, the last remnants of the Eastern Front won’t be taking Karelia, at least not on T1.

Also, I like to leave Finland/Norway for the US. After Germany falls it’s going to be left up to the US to take Japan, since they have the most convenient IC for the job. (I also like to leave Algeria and Libya for the US as well, it makes up for the 4 lost in Asia.)

Then again, I tend to give as much to my allies as I can as Russia so they can help out easier. After all, the sooner the USA is dumping 12-20 infantry in Finland and the UK is dumping 6-10, the sooner you can turn your red army on mainland Asia.

• U guys dont understand the meaning of the game ; try new strats! If u always do the same moves, its boring.

I like trying new strats, but I like doing it with Germany and Japan.

The problem with most Allied strats (in a regular game) is no matter what the Allies do they are going to win.

I mean even if this strat fails on 2 or 3 battles the Allies should/could still win the game.

Bids and playing RR, allow you to try new things and put a little pressure on the Allies, thus allowing new Allied (and Axis) strats to emerge.

For example, put an extra German tank and 3 inf in Afr to start, or a few extra German inf in Europe, or Japanese inf in Asia. It opens the game up more and gives the Axis more of a fighting chance. If you do, you’ll see that this overly aggressive Russian turn could be a big loser for the Allies, whereas in a normal game the Allies can still win with it even if Russia loses 3 battles.

• Exactly right Max!

• No, the first time i used this strat the naval and the manch combats went well, but not the 2 europeans. On the germanys turn he took karelia. Russia was open. Its a strat that gives more chances to germany to win if it goes not the way u wanted.

• I disagree just because Germany takes Karelia that doesn’t mean it the game, and especially not if Germany is not able to attack all the Allies navies as a result. The lack of a bid makes it virtually impossible for the Axis to win.

• This is actually my favorite strategy!!!

Good idea!

No, the first time i used this strat the naval and the manch combats went well, but not the 2 europeans. On the germanys turn he took karelia. Russia was open. Its a strat that gives more chances to germany to win if it goes not the way u wanted.

But why, as Russia, open your self up to this?
    The Naval battle is meaningless if the European battles go bad, and so is the Man battle. Like your example shows. Why open the door for Ger and give them the oppurtunity to win?

• @DarthMaximus:

No, the first time i used this strat the naval and the manch combats went well, but not the 2 europeans. On the germanys turn he took karelia. Russia was open. Its a strat that gives more chances to germany to win if it goes not the way u wanted.

But why, as Russia, open your self up to this?
    The Naval battle is meaningless if the European battles go bad, and so is the Man battle. Like your example shows. Why open the door for Ger and give them the oppurtunity to win?

Yopu aren’t opening yourself up, you are actually protecting Karelia… :wink:

• No you aren’t. In 2nd Edition no RR no bid there is little to no chance Germany can or will attack Karelia on G1. If they do you can manage it so they will have very bad odds against them. At the same time without a bid they will quickly lose Africa, and they will never have the income to leverage against Russia to achieve victory. Max is 100% there is no reason to take any chances on R1 without a bid.

I think the worry here is that you’ll fail your attacks in the land battles, not taking the land and not destroying enough enemy forces to prevent Germany from killing your 8 infantry (+2 fighters?) in Karelia leaving you no offensive forces on the west and forcing you to dump into Moscow.

I veiw Russia as a country that must hold it’s borders forcing Germany to build up for at least 2 rounds so that the US can get into the mix. Anything that jeapordizes this, is giving the axis powers more advantage then they should have. (I kind of prefer leaving the axis with 18% chance of winning a normal, 2nd ed. rules game.)

I do like taking E. Euro with Russia (even if I have to put my tanks there) and letting UK or USA take Finland/Norway. (hey, it’s free money, right?)

• I prefer to have Russia take FinNor as the extra cash can be godsend in the later stages of the game. Even when they can take Alg/Libya I will try to because Russia with 27-29ipcs is far more powerful than when they have only 21. Although, I think whomever takes FinNor has little bering on deciding the game.

I’d say Fin/Nor has almost no bearing at all on the game. But I still prefer USA to have it, it costs 8 ipcs more for the US to join the war then for the Russians and only the US is posed to take out Japan if they don’t just surrender after the fall of Germany.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m