• '14 '13

@rjpeters70:

Make sure it eats its spinach and pasta before it goes to bed every night?

LMAO!!

• @ghr2:

Last time germany built a mic in yugo to help stack 97, the UK had a giant navy in the red sea and 92 along with 10+ planes ready to pounce on like round 6.

Giant Navy in the Red Sea is pretty ineffective if you can’t own both sides of the Canal, which has happened to me before.

• @atease:

@ghr2:

Last time germany built a mic in yugo to help stack 97, the UK had a giant navy in the red sea and 92 along with 10+ planes ready to pounce on like round 6.

Giant Navy in the Red Sea is pretty ineffective if you can’t own both sides of the Canal, which has happened to me before.

ya but the UK easily held control of both sides.

• Play the game without a bid.  :-o
    Threaten a sea lion (in some way) with your round 1 German build.
    Sink the UK Cruiser in sz91 (to reduce the number of units that the UK can send after Italy)
    Sink the ships in sz110 (to keep them from relocating into the med to be used against Italy)
    Sink the ships in sz111 (to make a viable sea lion threat)
    there are several other things to possibly do to help but (imo) those are the big key things.

But most importantly, as I said at the top of the list, play the game with out a bid.
    lots of players on tripleA insist that the allies need a bid.  And maybe the allies do need a bid, but I really wouldn’t be the one to figure that out since I have yet to win on tripleA.  It doesn’t matter if I play as the axis or the allies, with or without a bid, 1v1 or multi.  I’ve come close a few times, but no win yet.

BUT…ANYWAY, I just know that in the games that the allies do not get a bid the Italians (pending dice and player choices of course) have a chance, a small chance, but none the less a chance, to get on their feet. And in the games that the allies get a bid, the Italians NEVER ever even come close to getting on their feet because the bid is invariably giving to the UK to use against the Italians in the med and Africa. (as if Italy is too powerful at the start of the game for the UK to handle without a bid).

• As long as axis does not get screwed on dice, its not very hard for them to win if the allies get no bid.

• @ghr2:

As long as axis does not get screwed on dice, its not very hard for them to win if the allies get no bid.

Again, I wouldn’t be the one to know since I have yet to win (as you very well know, since you’ve beaten me a few times.  soundly).

• @ghr2:

As long as axis does not get screwed on dice, its not very hard for them to win if the allies get no bid.

I’ve been thinking about this statement some more, and in a way are we not saying the same thing?

I say that the Italians (axis) stand a chance to get Italy on their feet and have a better chance of winning if the allies do NOT get a bid.

and your saying that the axis stand a good chance to win if the allies do not get a bid (pending dice).

SO….what I hear you saying is…

the set up of the current 2nd edition g40 game is in favor of the axis winning (IF they don’t get crap dice).  and I guess you could say that about the allies too, IF they don’t get crap dice they could have a simpler time at winning also.

so…why again to the allies need a bid IF the axis chance to win depends simply on if they do or do not get crap dice?
    don’t all the games depend on the dice?

• If the dice roll to the odds the entire game, with no crazy good or bad rolls, the axis would still have the edge unless the allies get a modest bid.

• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

I am not an experienced bidder… (in my group we never bid)
    Rarely I saw Italy flourish, and wouldn’t like the idea of having even more UK ships to deal with italy.

But what if that bid cannot go to UK, but only to Russia, US or Anzac? (May be UK Pazifik also) So all powers which are not at war in Turn 1.

Does that make sense at all? (just curious)

• @Elrood:

I am not an experienced bidder… (in my group we never bid)
    Rarely I saw Italy flourish, and wouldn’t like the idea of having even more UK ships to deal with italy.

But what if that bid cannot go to UK, but only to Russia, US or Anzac? (May be UK Pazifik also) So all powers which are not at war in Turn 1.

Does that make sense at all? (just curious)

Well, usually, germany is in a position to help the italians get back on their feet.  Having air to scramble in sita, countering the uk navy, landing in alex, etc.  As they push into russia, they can force their way into the caucasus and start to starve russia while getting the german income to 80-90.

• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

@ghr2:

Well, usually, germany is in a position to help the italians get back on their feet.  Having air to scramble in sita, countering the uk navy, landing in alex, etc.  As they push into russia, they can force their way into the caucasus and start to starve russia while getting the german income to 80-90.

Yes makes sense. Some small first round move I like to make is attacking Yugoslavia from South Germany with all Inf there, and one 1 Inf from Romania, pulling back after round 1 to Romania.

This serves two purposes, first) yugoslavia gets softened for later Italian conquest and second) also gets the south german troops to the east one round faster than in the normal way (via slovakia)

• Italy’s job is threefold:
    1:  Keep the UK spending to crush Italy
    2:  Assist in Russia
    3:  Lure the US Fleet past Gib and into the Med

With that being said, the Italian Navy is important to protect, requiring a DD to be purchased in Round 1.  This will draw more UK attention to the Med, which gives Germany more breathing room to advance on Moscow.  Provided your fleet was not decimated in SZ97, ferry units into Yugo with the TT and at least 1 Armor, possibly 2.

Assisting with Russia being your second goal pretty much requires that Italy activates Bulgaria on Round 1 and Italy either reinforcing the German Flank in Romania on I2 or if there is no immediate threat, clearing out Greece before the Brits activate it.  If Italy purchases a Bomber on Round 2, it puts 2 Bombers and somewhere in the range of 6-8 Inf plus 2 Armor in range of Eastern Poland, or Bess.  You even have a shot to can open Western Ukraine at this point, or if Russia is really incompetent, Ukraine MAY be open via an Armor Blitz (provided 2 Armor went into Yugo on Round 1, and reinforced Romania on I2.)  In any case, Italy can stand to gain some IPC and really create problems on the German Southern Flank in Russia.

As for the last goal for Italy, you need to continue to engage the UK into the Med through the time the US enters the war.  Usually this requires naval investments, I prefer to try to get at least 1 DD in every round.  At some point you’ll need to redirect your Bombers back to Rome / Southern France.  You’re goal is to force the Allies to defend SZ91 and interrupt the US TT rotation.  You need to be very opportunistic here and wait for the Allies to expose TT as lightly defended.  This doesn’t always happen, but it is devastating when it does and you can fly 2-3 Bombers and a send a few SS to potentially sink the TT rotation and buy breathing room.  If this doesn’t look like it could happen, you just have to turtle up and encourage the US to land on Rome and not Normandy or S.France.  The whole goal being to keep the US fleet in the Med and out of reinforcement for multiple turns outside of the 3 units it can place on whatever complex it takes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m