• Actually Germany can move in with about 20 units on G2, and Germany is always happy to exchange units with Russia (Russia risks losing a fighter as well)!

But I said I would move in on G3.

On G3 I move in with 46 units! Are the Russians going to attack those? With what? Please let me know, because I would like to defeat the German army for the first time in the games I have played. And if you take Persia those units will not be on time to help either…

After the artillerie buy in G2, I buy mostly mech’s with Germany, and some tanks if I have the IPC’s (depending on the allies’ moves). Never infantry or artillerie after G2. So if your buying fast units first and later slow units, I will be quicker in Moscow.

Do you buy IC’s in Russia, later in the game? I always do…

Thanks for the arguments!

• No I take Yugoslavia, France and Normandy the first round, and I have calculated the losses…

If you attack with 45 Russian units, you will lose more then the Germans: Germany takes Moscow with ease! That’s a horrible trade-off for Russia especially because of there weak offensive power.

Even if the Russians attack with 50, the trade-off is not favorable for Russia. I think the both lose the numbers, perhaps the Germans even win this battle (Russia has to many infantry and mech’s, almost no artillery)…

The Germans have more in behind too: 25 units (10 artillerie, 10 mech’s (bought), 3 tanks and 2 mech’s (from France)). How many will Russia have? And they have to buy in Moscow…

This way Russia is sure to fall!

• Nice back-n-forth debate, I’m enjoying it.

Like to add that we have been doing a G2 Barbarossa, and it has been very effective. We have been doing somewhat of a dark sky’s (early heavy German bmr buys) with a pretty devastating J1 (see later). In the last game the Germans didn’t attack Yugo G1, he used the Bulgarians to do it G2. Theory was he generally loses a couple guys in that battle, and he wanted to have more inf at the front. This helps to deter a Russian strafe on your stack, and the Bulgarians are going to be a round behind you anyway. We have found that if the the Germans supper stack they have enough starting units to push the Russians back (Italian mobile units are helpful), and you can get to both Leningrad and Ukraine w/o much of a fight. You will force some tough decisions on the Russians because with the G2 attack you have enough starting units to go straight to Moscow (if they don’t get help). Even with say 4-5 UK air units there, odds will favor Germany slightly (keeping in mind the Luftwaffe is doubled in size by then, and bmr heavy). It’s not in Germany’s best interest to hit Moscow at that time because it will cut them deeply (but it is a real threat). After that you add a minor IC on E Ukraine and start pumping out units on Russian soil from several ICs to finish the job and the Russians are somewhat contained. The Bmrs can pull double duty from West Germany, keeping the allies at bay, and still threaten to hit Moscow. As the Germans you aren’t really looking to destroy the Allied fleet unless they seriously under build, you can double hit using Italy, or you can incorporate navy/subs (to costly, and the allies know that). Instead you set-up to kill the landing party using ground units in key areas (including transports if they go north) with an over powering Luftwaffe.

Our J1 attack is hitting both Phil and Hawaiian fleets (6 US ships sunk+Phil ftr) along with the early heavy investment in German bmrs (and some navy) is causing a lot of problems for the US. Although they are unleashed on the first turn they are finding it difficult to compete with Japan and/or go to Europe. It is up to UK to stall the Germans while the US figures out what the hell they are doing. Next time I’m allies I will look at sending the Russian mob to Amur to see what the Japanese do. It would defiantly put a thorn in their J1 attack so……like I said it is still a work in progress with us.

Just thought I would toss this into your discussion. We are still looking at the above situation over the last few games, but the allies haven’t been able to do much in response.

• That way to few! Russia starts with just 3 artillery. You buy 4, that makes only a puny 7. Russia has 25 infantry at the start and 2 mech + 2 tanks (wich are neede in Persia?). You need at least 15-20 artillery to match the firepower of the German army.

Attack Eastern Poland? You have lost me, Russia cannot attack until round 4, if the Germans don’t attack…

Buying mobile units doesn’t make them stronger, but weaker in my view. You have to make stronger arguments then this. When and where is Russia going to stop the Germans? And with how many units?

I’m testplaying now and I played the game a couple of times, and Germany never failed to at least reach Bryansk in G7-8.

Would you care for a game sometimes? And by what rules do you play?

Again, thanks for the arguments!

• I live in The Netherlands, so that won’t be a problem…

When do you have time? I don’t mind making it a slow game, where we play for an hour every day. Or we could just play a few hours in the weekends…

I am curious about your move with the allies, so can I play axis? And what rules do you play by?

About the dice, we play with only one dice. The rest is by calculation: if you attack for example with 20 infantry and 10 tanks:

20 X 1 = 20
    10 X 3 = 30

Total = 50 / 6 = 8 hits (6 X 8 = 48)
    2 left, so you throw with one dice: 2 or less is a 9th hit…

This way you rule out luck, especially in big battles…

• '15

Keep us updated on the game!

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Tolstoj:

I live in The Netherlands, so that won’t be a problem…

When do you have time? I don’t mind making it a slow game, where we play for an hour every day. Or we could just play a few hours in the weekends…

I am curious about your move with the allies, so can I play axis? And what rules do you play by?

About the dice, we play with only one dice. The rest is by calculation: if you attack for example with 20 infantry and 10 tanks:

20 X 1 = 20
    10 X 3 = 30

Total = 50 / 6 = 8 hits (6 X 8 = 48)
    2 left, so you throw with one dice: 2 or less is a 9th hit…

This way you rule out luck, especially in big battles…

Yes this is Low Luck variant, it works perfectly with TripleA it is a build in option for the game.
    No tech ( lets keep luck out of this as much as possible )

Yes ill play allies, we are just determining how bad it is for the allies, everybody is yelling they are screwed and need a 20+ bid so we just go without 1 and see how far we get :)

Great same timezone, Im normaly free in the evening during the week, so around 19:00 ish. WE can spread it over several days.

Okay, great! Can you start tomorrow? I’ve appointment on 15.00. I hope I will be home by 19.00. Or else Tuesday?

• but did you get the counterattack in East poland? How about advancing with the US fleet?

• It is possible for the Russians to attack Estern Poland, but you have to buy mech units and tanks, and perhaps a TB. Very curious to know how such a game would end, but I don’t think it would be favorable for the Russians to trade their army for a German army. Because unlike WW2, the Germans can make new ones…

ShadowHawk showed me many new (to me) and good tactical moves, so it was an interesting game to me.

Unfortunately I made too many mistakes with Japan on J3 to have a realistic game (lost many infantry because I forgot to use my figthers). Also I am not used to playing online, so it takes an hour to do one turn with Japan.

But I am practicing now… :D

• '15

@Tolstoj:

It is possible for the Russians to attack Estern Poland, but you have to buy mech units and tanks, and perhaps a TB. Very curious to know how such a game would end, but I don’t think it would be favorable for the Russians to trade their army for a German army. Because unlike WW2, the Germans can make new ones…

ShadowHawk showed me many new (to me) and good tactical moves, so it was an interesting game to me.

Unfortunately I made too many mistakes with Japan on J3 to have a realistic game (lost many infantry because I forgot to use my figthers). Also I am not used to playing online, so it takes an hour to do one turn with Japan.

But I am practicing now… :D

Playing online is tough for me as well.  I need to see the whole board or I’m lost.

I only see a mutual annihilation as good for Russia if the US and UK are in Western Europe

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m