• '12

Very, very, rarely I will use the Med TT to activate Greece to provide an alternate landing spot for the SZ97 Carrier air.

• It all depends if he scrambles or not!

I’m a little unsure what my strategy should be in the Pacific but I’m hoping to contain Japan and keep the Dutch Islands in Allied control and allow the UK to focus on ground troops against Japan if I can.

Looking to move ANZAC and UK Pac fleet into same square and just out of Japanese Reach. Move All US Pac fleet to Hawaii or perhaps just a square or two towards S. America but still reachable of Queensland. In US T2 move newly acquired Carriers to join up around Hawaii and then T3 have them all at Queensland.

On the Atlantic, the alternative to going Norwary is to support the British in the Med and go after Italy. Will take 2 turns to get to Southern France or Italy. Southern France has a Minor IC.  I will have air assets from the British already there and if I put an IC in Egypt then the UK will be about to assist and funnel troops. The more I can land, the more it takes the pressure off the USSR and I am confident I can make small steps forward on the German/Soviet front.

Another alternative is Normandy. Easier to get to and less chance of German bombers and easier for UK to deploy troops into as well.

If I go Norway which I’ve been leaning towards, I have 2 options. Either let the British take it in T2 and hope they keep it so I can land troops there in T3 or wait and allow US to take it in T3 and follow up with UK troops so it can be kept with IC deployed in T4. I could do the latter and just soften the zone up in T2 so attack with enough troops to reduce the force in Norway but still attack with US in T3.

I guess China tries to retake Yunnan and I don#t know what Anzac does.

• @Eggman:

Very, very, rarely I will use the Med TT to activate Greece to provide an alternate landing spot for the SZ97 Carrier air.

Haven’t thought about this move.  I kind of like it if the sealion threat is small.  that small force in Greece (6-7 land units and 3-4 air units could be a massive thorn in the side of Germany/Italy; especially if it was a G1 attack on Russia.

• @BJCard:

@Eggman:

Haven’t thought about this move.  I kind of like it if the sealion threat is small.  that small force in Greece (6-7 land units and 3-4 air units could be a massive thorn in the side of Germany/Italy; especially if it was a G1 attack on Russia.

There has been no G1 attack on Russia. If I do that, there would be no attack on Ethiopia and the Transport will die. Wouldn’t Itay throw all airsupport and the 3 units at it? Germany could follow up (admittedly with no canon fodder) and take them all out. UK couldn’t withstand those losses where as Germany and Italy could. Could move French fighter there so total of maybe 4-5 Fighters, Tab Bomber and 6 Infantry.

• '12

@SunTzu7:

If I do that, there would be no attack on Ethiopia and the Transport will die. Wouldn’t Itay throw all airsupport and the 3 units at it? Germany could follow up (admittedly with no canon fodder) and take them all out. UK couldn’t withstand those losses where as Germany and Italy could. Could move French fighter there so total of maybe 4-5 Fighters, Tab Bomber and 6 Infantry.

Yes, it can be a dangerous gamble for all the reasons you mention.  Some of the things that prompt me to try it are if I see that Germany didn’t activate Bulgaria, then they probably expect Italy to take Greece which means you should at least be able to hold it through the end of UK2.  If I’m willing to risk a Sea Lion invitation then I will build the Egypt IC UK1 or UK2, which will reduce the urgent need to attack Ethiopia.  If I’m playing a bid game I might have bid units to attack that territory anyway, or, if I’m really bold I’ll use the Pacific TT to support that attack instead of landing in Sumatra.

• This is my latest thinking.

UST1
    Buy 2 Transports for Atlantic 2 Carriers for Pacific and 2 Infantry in E. US
    Move Transport/Destroer to Iceland
    Move bomber/fighter in Eastern/Central US to Iceland

UKT1 Buy Carrier deploy in 110 IC in Egypt
    Attack Sz96/97 land Aircraft at Malta
    Consolidate Navy in Sz 110
    Move Transport/Destroyer from Canada to Iceland
    Pull back from Alexandria to Egypt leaving 1 infantry
    Attack with Med Transport to Ethiopia

RussiaT2

Buy 6 Mech Infantry for Novogorod/Ukraine
    Move 12 Infantry to Karelia
    Move 12 Infantry to Bessarabia
    Move 6 Infantry to Western Ukraine
    Move 6 Infantry to Belarus

If Germany have declared war and taken Karelia/Vyborg I will either re-take or just consolidate in IC Territories

UST2
    Move both Transports to Iceland

UKT2
    Buy Naval Base in Iceland & 2 Tanks/1 Infantry for Egypt
    Attack from Sz110 to Norway. Land 2 units, attack with air and bombardment. Land fighters on Carrier.
    Move air units from Malta to Egypt. Possible attack in Alexandria if Italy taken on T1.

Russia T3
    Attack Finland from Karelia
    Attack Romania from Bressarabia

UST3
    Attack from Iceland into Normandy with 3 transports full plus Fighter/Bomber

UKT3
    Transport from Iceland to Normandy and unload. Fighters land in Normandy.

This assumes:

That I can take out Ethiopia in 1 go.
    Can hold Egypt at ItalyT2
    Germany doesn’t declare on Russia/US before Turn 3
    Germany doesn’t target UK Navy in Turn 2. If UK Navy dies in T3 it almost doesn’t matter as Normandy attack won’t have bombardment and will be comign from Iceland which seemingly looks far away.

It also allows US to choose between fllow up in Norway, Denmark, Holland, W Germany or original target of Normandy (because it already has an IC)

The objective of attacking Norway in UKT2 is to stop Germany from delcaring on Russia and attacking through Finland.

The IC in Egypt T1 is based on the fact that if I deploy 3 Mech Infantry in SA, it will take them 2 turns to get to Egypt. Even if I don’t attack Ethiopia in T1, they can’t attack till T2 and by which time, I can add 2 Tanks and 1 Infantry to the defence plus any air assets I wish to move.

If I take out Ethiopia and Italian Navy in 96/97 then Italy won’t be strong enough to take Egypt even with reinforcements.
    I could land in Greece instead, put 2 units there. I would have enough to hold Egypt against an attack from both sides in N Africa (if I deploy 2 tanks, 1 Infantry as well as land a fighter/bomber there). That still leaves enough to win against Albania whether attcking or defending and I could then activate Yugoslavia in T3. I can’t see Germany attacking if I am attacking Norway in T2. The only downside is that it will present a very nice target to Germany who may decide it can win that one instead of going against the Navy in Sz110.

If I am attacked by al of Germany’s Air (6 Fighters, 1 Tac Bomber, 1 Strat Bomber) with 5 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter and 1 Tac fighter, I will lose. It’s about 65% in my favour if I add the Strat Bomber and Fighter (assuming they survive against Italy’s fleet in T1) but 76% against without those 2 extra units.

The reason for leaving UK Fleet in Sz 110 is so if attacked, I can scramble and add 3 Fighters to the defense but hopefully will just deter a German attack. Anything it does will be costly to us both.

In my calculator, with 2 Battleships, 3 Cruisers, Carrier, 1 French Fighter (which I can land after UK’s turn but before Germany’s) and 3 scrambled UK fighters, I have an 80% chance to win. With 2 Destroyers instead of the Carrier and 1 less fighter, it’s 62%. This is if Germany commits every aircraft it has and the Battleship/Cruiser it has left.

If I were to

• taking greece UK 1 leaves your destroyer dead, and gives germany more units to kill on G2.

• UST1

Usa can not move into iceland or venture too far into the atlantic before Turn 4. It can, if it has been attacked before

• @orania:

UST1

Usa can not move into iceland or venture too far into the atlantic before Turn 4. It can, if it has been attacked before

This is exactly what I did in the end!! Identical. Really stuck for T2. Will move the newly purchased Transports to Iceland. Really want to get more troops on to Europe or Africa. Currently wondering if I can position some troops either at Gibralter or near Brazil and (with the help of naval bases) get them across to either north africa or southern france/italy within a further turn.

It’s also how i go about protecting those transports from german air attack.

• by destroyer i ment transport

• Has war been declared on the states? If not you are not allowed to leave the coastal seazones of the US. You are allowed to do a longe range patrol into seazone 102.

• @orania:

Has war been declared on the states? If not you are not allowed to leave the coastal seazones of the US. You are allowed to do a longe range patrol into seazone 102.

I’ve just realised this last night. MAde a couple of novice errors as still getting up to speed on the rules as first game on 1940.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m