Unrestricted Submarine Warfare

• @xxstefanx:

The essential submarine change for ALL A&A games ought to be that the subs must be allowed to make an economic attack in their own turn (like a SBR!).

Roll a dice for each sub in specific SZs of high merchant traffic! The number rolled is the damage (=sunk merchant ships) the enemy has to surrender immediately!
    The average per dice roll is 3,5 IPCs so that’s fine in my opinion.

I really like this idea, with possibly the added caveat of disallowing the economic attack if the enemy has any warships present in the SZ.

• @Aristokles:

@xxstefanx:

The essential submarine change for ALL A&A games ought to be that the subs must be allowed to make an economic attack in their own turn (like a SBR!).

Roll a dice for each sub in specific SZs of high merchant traffic! The number rolled is the damage (=sunk merchant ships) the enemy has to surrender immediately!
    The average per dice roll is 3,5 IPCs so that’s fine in my opinion.

I really like this idea, with possibly the added caveat of disallowing the economic attack if the enemy has any warships present in the SZ.

Or that you’d first have to eliminate the warships in order to be allowed to make the economic attack. A single warship (obviously representing more than just 1, but still) could never be at all places in a certain sz at the same time.

Funny how easy it is to come up with a handful of suggestions which are all better than the official rule. That one really doesn’t make any sense whatsoever!

• '17 '15

Maybe it isn’t bad idea to bring US to the WAR earlier,so they can do spend and use the money to build the Navy and hunting the Germans instead of building the transports and INFs+ARTs without a problem.Maybe it can bring attention of FRE and GB to fight SZ 2,3,7,8 and try to do with the GER sneaky attack on UK or even US.

• '17 '15

Just want to be sure about two things.Situation between ships and subs is that ship is attacking you(rolling once)and then I can decide to submerge or not yes?There isn’t nothing like before the dice I can say I’m submergin’so there wont be hits?Attacker always has right to rolling once yes?

And another even with subs I cant move from SZ 19 to 28 if Egypt isnt under my control,yes?

• Official Q&A

@Dukla:

Situation between ships and subs is that ship is attacking you(rolling once)and then I can decide to submerge or not yes?There isn’t nothing like before the dice I can say I’m submergin’so there wont be hits?Attacker always has right to rolling once yes?

Correct.

@Dukla:

And another even with subs I cant move from SZ 19 to 28 if Egypt isnt under my control,yes?

Correct.

• '17 '15

And what if Egypt is Contested,who can pass?

• Official Q&A

No one.

• I have tried to initiate USW but the French and British navy hunt down the subs before the British 1st collect income phase.  I agree that bring US in early is not a bad thing.  G40 US gets bonus income when it comes in, 1914 it doesn’t.
    I’ve tried several times. but if the French don’t get the subs, the Brits will.
    My new G1 naval is consolidate the fleet in SZ 4 and try to draw the Brits out from their mines.

• '17 '15

My problem is that I can control the SZ9 in the end of my turn but at the start of the next one that’s different story.Just cant keep with the UK’s and French Battleships and after few turns is to late for invasion.That’s way I was thinking that maybe USW is the answer for that.

• '17 '15

And how about 2 subs in the same SZ from different powers?Can they submerge or?I think they should not…

• @Barindo:

I have tried to initiate USW but the French and British navy hunt down the subs before the British 1st collect income phase.  I agree that bring US in early is not a bad thing.  G40 US gets bonus income when it comes in, 1914 it doesn’t.
    I’ve tried several times. but if the French don’t get the subs, the Brits will.
    My new G1 naval is consolidate the fleet in SZ 4 and try to draw the Brits out from their mines.

this might work, and if the allies do not hit it and coupled with a naval purchase every round  and try to keep stern control over seazone 4, you can then go for the USW seazones and harras the allies from there  and if they try to stop the naval reinforcements they have to content with mines and you can smack the allied fleet in home waters sounds not that bad actually

• Treating USW as a strategic bombing attack? Simply rolling 1d6 per sub? That’s a pretty good idea, actually. I’d allow it over much of the north atlantic. The only limit to damage is that British always gets the IPC’s from the british isles, and the US always gets at least 10? IPC’s. And you couldn’t do it in a sea zone with hostile surface warships. It probably should be that way in Europe 1940 as well.

Also, perhaps the US enters the war after losing 15 IPC’s? And only cruisers can attack subs.

And yah, the ‘old’ Europe had the best treatment of convoys.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m