• I’ve been playing Axis and Allies (regular and europe) for some time now with a few of my friends, except it seems very difficult for my friends to beat me. I’ve played as axis about 28 out of the 30 or so times we’ve played so far (not counting the prehistoric games….back when we had no idea of the real rules), and have only lost when the allies are lucky enough to get heavy bombers on the first turn or so.

I can only guess that the allies are missing some vital piece of strategy, since the axis is not supposed to win like all the time (or even a decent amount of the time.)

Keep in mind we play 2 hit BB, no bidding and usually the russian player chooses to not attack the first turn (he had some horrible defeats that way and has become scared I think…)

RUSSIA T1:

They usually destroy both baltic ships with fighters, leave 3 or so inf in the caucasus, and stack all available inf in karelia (placing the 8 they buy also). Consolidate their force in asia either in yakut or mongolia for some reason…occasionally will try to reinforce sinkiang in hopes of building an IC as the americans. Leaves transport with UK battleship, attacks west europe sub with sub.
    Russia makes 24

GERMANY T1:

I buy 10 inf

attack british sub with battleship and transport, loaded with 2 guys from italy. These 2 inf and the tank and inf in libya attack egypt. Sub attacks US transport. Fighter in western europe attacks british transport in labrador sea. 3 fighters and bomber in europe attack UK fleet. Consolidate my inf and armor in eastern europe.
    Germany makes 35

UK T1:

usually sends fighters to aid karelia, sends bomber against one of my factories. Buys fighters and maybe some infantry
    UK makes 27

JAPAN T1:
    buy an IC and 2 tanks
    attack china with inf in kwangtung and manchuria, attack india with inf from phillipines and burma. use fighters and bombers from wherever necessary to reinforce these fights this part of the game usually changes a lot, the basic idea is to take a strategic area like india, china, sinkiang or even mongolia, while having at least one territory worth 3 well out of reach of the enemy Use carrier fighter and 2 battleships to attack americans at pearl harbor II. Place IC in kwantung usually, provided nobody can get at it… Japan ends this turn making 30 usually

US T1:
    Buy ships to replace its sunken fleet… attack japanese fleet with fighters, bomber, battleship, send transport to alaska to be used with future sneakiness. Place most ships in pacific (for some reason…he alternates between working on japan and germany it seems).

T2 until end
    Russia continues to stack in karelia. Germany pushes a mixed stack of infantry and tanks to karelia. T2 germany takes the survivors of egypt battle and conquers rest of africa. Japan builds another IC usually in india or burma, build 3 tanks a turn at each. UK builds fighters and transports to invade eventually, US starts sending ships over to UK waters to aid in invasion. However by this time the soviets have a multitude of tanks and fighters roaming about asia and must evacuate their karelia position. Germany’s inf and tank stack takes karelia, trade caucasus with soviets.
    Build inf in germany(for use against any allied invasions along with remnants of the luftwaffe) and tanks in karelia once germany’s forces start reaching a “critical mass”…Eventually russia becomes vulnerable to a 1-2 punch between germany and japan. Allies concede when Russia is lost usually.

Any thoughts or comments? As it stands the allies best chance of victory is just to roll for tech…so I’m sure there must be some flaw in their and maybe my strategy.

• Your strat isn’t very good, but their’s is terrible. Enjoy it while it lasts–high end play isn’t as varied or fun.

• Terrible. It hurts my eyes when I just read that…

First of all, the allies should win every game they play, unless they only throw 5 and 6.

First of all your buying is awfull. You played only Russia ok.

Germans, never take that gamble in Egypt. just ship your men over to Libya (egypt can’t be reïnforced). Just concentrate on the English fleet.

UK, Build an Indian Factory save rest.

Japs, 2 transports 3 men, Attack Pearl Harbor with minimum forces and collect your inf from the islands.

Americans, build 4 transports, move your troops to west Canada.

Overall strat of the first turn… If you want it more detailed, just ask…

• '19 Moderator

Not bad exept that with third edition rules there is no East-West Canada sz movement.

The gist is right though. Britain and especialy America need to send aid to Russia as soon as possible.

• I actually find that the attack on egypt almost never fails….and it puts me in good position to take the rest of africa in the next turn or so depending on how many infantry are left (on my side of course). I blitz the tank down to south africa and usually defeat the single infantry there, while other (usually two) infantry move to italian east africa and um…belgian congo I suppose.

I used to play with a transport heavy japan strategy, but it seems that once I establish a mainland IC that the enemy cannot get at (either because of speed bumps or lack of forces), japan’s power in asia grows immensely.

Keep in mind I am the one playing the axis, my friends as “the allies” are somewhat unpredictable with their strategy.

• Also, would an IC in india really be feasible for the allies to hold? and at what cost? Japan has a very large amount of fighters and bombers at its disposal. If UK were to build a factory, that would become the focus of many attacks which could easily be supported by transporting infantry from phillipines, mainland provinces, and even some of the islands if necessary. Eventually I think it would fall into japanese hands, given their greater ability to produce and mobilize units in that area, and at that point they’d have a nice IC rather close to Russia.

• Can´t really put my finger on a specific “mistake” by the allies, but it seems that since your strategy isn´t tha off the wall, you must be getting the dice going your way.

Eventually the India IC will be lost. Especially if you have an IC in Kw. Usually J doesn´t build one there but waits until India is won, since it´s closer to Russia. The India IC is only there to slow the Axis down.

• Seems to me the allies are not acting in a coordinated fashion. You are playing both Axis countries so by default the Axis turns are coordinated. Your friends need to work together on common goals.

I also recommend more rotation of countries between players. Always playing Axis or one specific country leads to unvaried play. You need to experience the battle from the otherside to see the possibilities fully.

Cheers!

• @Zero:

Seems to me the allies are not acting in a coordinated fashion. You are playing both Axis countries so by default the Axis turns are coordinated. Your friends need to work together on common goals.

I also recommend more rotation of countries between players. Always playing Axis or one specific country leads to unvaried play. You need to experience the battle from the otherside to see the possibilities fully.

Cheers!

it’s been too long Z-man.
    At the risk of simply posting “he’s right”, i have to say “he’s right”.
    The Russians are playing decently - not crazy, but a good defense. The UK - what are they thinking? There purchases seem to be something that looks useful but really isn’t, and they are not doing anything, really. The US too needs to take advantage of the UK’s proximity to Europe. I agree that Germany’s play is not bad. Japan needs to wait a bit before buying its mainland IC. Build a good infantry feeding system first. Also putting an ic where “nobody can get at it” ensures that you are less able to react to others’ purchase decisions and victories as you are about 4 turns away from the action.

• @Lan:

RUSSIA T1:

They usually destroy both baltic ships with fighters, leave 3 or so inf in the caucasus, and stack all available inf in karelia (placing the 8 they buy also). Consolidate their force in asia either in yakut or mongolia for some reason…occasionally will try to reinforce sinkiang in hopes of building an IC as the americans. Leaves transport with UK battleship, attacks west europe sub with sub.
    Russia makes 24

Big mistake not to attack ukraine. Also try manchuria (uk get’s kwang). People will argue against it, but top players do it. Otherwise, that’s about right.
    @Lan:

GERMANY T1:

I buy 10 inf

attack british sub with battleship and transport, loaded with 2 guys from italy. These 2 inf and the tank and inf in libya attack egypt. Sub attacks US transport. Fighter in western europe attacks british transport in labrador sea. 3 fighters and bomber in europe attack UK fleet. Consolidate my inf and armor in eastern europe.
    Germany makes 35

I consider this move decent actually, i reject attacking the us transport, i’d rather see it go as fodder in the north sea but this depends. Also with 10 infantry build, you will lose your med fleet, and without a bid in africa, you will lose it. Have you considered 1 sub 8 infantry?
    @Lan:

UK T1:

usually sends fighters to aid karelia, sends bomber against one of my factories. Buys fighters and maybe some infantry
    UK makes 27

WHAT!!! here is the big mistake, don’t bomb the factory, attack german med fleet with bomber, fighter battleship sub if it’s alive, and/or attack egypt transporting men off of india. If germany has 2 units on egypt you should certainly do both. Otherwise you can save the battleship, and only hit egypt allowing for 3 transports 2 men build. If russia did manch, then just kill the fleet, and hit kwang. Don’t build fighters until you have established a minimum of 3 transports, I have only recently heard of building fighters as uk this way, I recommend building 4 and moving in 8 infantry a turn to karelia/africa…
    if you don’t save the bb, build carrier transport man.
    @Lan:

JAPAN T1:
    buy an IC and 2 tanks
    attack china with inf in kwangtung and manchuria, attack india with inf from phillipines and burma. use fighters and bombers from wherever necessary to reinforce these fights this part of the game usually changes a lot, the basic idea is to take a strategic area like india, china, sinkiang or even mongolia, while having at least one territory worth 3 well out of reach of the enemy Use carrier fighter and 2 battleships to attack americans at pearl harbor II. Place IC in kwantung usually, provided nobody can get at it…. Japan ends this turn making 30 usually

I don’t like this strategy much. First of all I love it when the phil trn goes to india. The uk bombers is in kenya (or italian east africa!) So the transport is wasted. Also industry first turn i don’t agree with. and why 2 tanks. You only have 2 transports, and you are throwing one away? build 2 transports 3 men.
    @Lan:

US T1:
    Buy ships to replace its sunken fleet… attack japanese fleet with fighters, bomber, battleship, send transport to alaska to be used with future sneakiness. Place most ships in pacific (for some reason…he alternates between working on japan and germany it seems).

replace sunken fleet. try not attacking japan with the usa. Try 3 transports 4 men the first turn, placed in e us sz, if the german bomber is in western europe, you could try 4 transports. Don’t send battleship to alaska send it to panama, block with transport.

The most important thing, play the allies more!! If you do this they can use your strategies against you I guess… Also a tip for usa: build men in eusa, and move them to ecanada, then each turn you can move there, load them and drop them in finland. It’s good to have about 5 us transports doing this, thus +10 infantry in russia each turn from usa, and +8 from uk.

Sorry if i sound harsh, just trying to help!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m