• if its only the 3rd world nations that are SOOO envious/jealous of America, then why is that? Why America when there are many countries doing more with less? Why not envy Sweden, Canada, Japan, Switzerland etc. to the point of wanting to do something bad to it? There is much more than jealousy. If my friend, or even an acquaintance gets a nice new car - one that i can not afford, i may wish i might go for a ride or something, but i would not seek to blowing it up. Unless he were to try to mow me down with his shiny nice new car, of course . . . .

• @F_alk:

@city:

A.) The largest military in the world, if unarmed, can be mowed down by machine guns.
    B) We wouldn’t be invading China, merely keeping them out of a North Korean conflict.

D) Third largest country still loses to #1 military…
    E) We sold them the nukes that they do have, so who do YOU think has MORE nukes?
    F) (just a side note…) The reason that WW3 wasn’t started during the Cold War was this… if they launch nukes against US, they WILL BE DEAD IN 15 MINUTES!!! (If they are lucky)

@ A) machine guns overheat and need ammunition: if you can’t bring in supplies well enough, human waves even with knives and fists will win against any army.
    @ B) that is an important point, however i doubt that the current US government has the diplomatic skills to get that point across.
    @ D) does it?
    @ E)+F) you still think in terms of the 50’s, don’t you? One overkill is more than enough for any war. Another reason for WW3 not having started is that the US governments up to now where smart enough to know that F) holds for them as well: If they launched ICBM, then they would have been dead in 15 minutes. You really seem to think that there is a way to “win” a nuclear war, don’t you??

good point I might not shut up now

• First, Falk has brought up the question, is it possible to win nuclear war. Not really, but it is possible to win a war where nuclear weapons are a possiblity.

Take a posssible Sino-American War. Say that the U.S. figures out that only like five Chinese leaders/generals can order use of nuclear weapons, and then has them assasinated, followed by waves of cruise missiles targeting China’s weapons.

Other possible scenarios involve Star Wars Style system (which was designed largely for offensive actions including using uranium slugs from sattlelites which could penetrate hardened targests like silos and command centers) and espionage.

Second, the U.S. would beat the PRC in a conventional war. It is true that their armed forces outnumber ours 2.5 to 1. However our forces are better trained with more and better weapons. Add to that we are close allies with S. Korea, Taiwan, and Japan, which gives us close bases and allies. Korea and Taiwan have large and powerful militaries, and it would be easy to rearm Japan.

• Don’t forget Australia and New Zealand all tucked awya down there. About this whole idea of numbers, if the Japanese were ableto take Manchuria and almost the entire Chinese coast in the Sino-Japanese wars, then surely the United States, who is much more powerful than Japan was, can take on the Chinese. In the Korean War, Chiense and North Korean casulaties were over 2 million while the Americans were at most 500,000.

• @EmuGod:

Don’t forget Australia and New Zealand all tucked awya down there.

Well, i’ve been there…. do you really think their military would help such a lot, that far away? It’s still an 8 hour flight from Sydney to Singapur…

About this whole idea of numbers, if the Japanese were ableto take Manchuria and almost the entire Chinese coast in the Sino-Japanese wars, then surely the United States, who is much more powerful than Japan was, can take on the Chinese.

Well, if you don’t take into account that China was in a civil war as well in that time……

• @yourbuttocks:

First, Falk has brought up the question, is it possible to win nuclear war. Not really, but it is possible to win a war where nuclear weapons are a possiblity.

which is a difference…

Take a posssible Sino-American War. Say that the U.S. figures out that only like five Chinese leaders/generals can order use of nuclear weapons, and then has them assasinated, followed by waves of cruise missiles targeting China’s weapons.

…and hoping that the Chinese don’t have the same idea.

Other possible scenarios involve Star Wars Style system (which was designed largely for offensive actions including using uranium slugs from sattlelites which could penetrate hardened targests like silos and command centers) and espionage.

well, the “classic”, Reagan’s star wars was slightly different…. and anyone sensible would have noticed it can’t work before they pumped money into it :)

Second, the U.S. would beat the PRC in a conventional war. It is true that their armed forces outnumber ours 2.5 to 1. However our forces are better trained with more and better weapons. Add to that we are close allies with S. Korea, Taiwan, and Japan, which gives us close bases and allies. Korea and Taiwan have large and powerful militaries, and it would be easy to rearm Japan.

What if China started the war, in with an action of three days wiped out Korea and Taiwan?
    Remember: In the “game” that was to plan an Iraqi campaign, with a former US Marine colonel playing Saddam, he really hurt the US by not “playing after their rules”, by not waiting for the US to attack, but by doing a pre-emptive strike…

• what if China allies with cambodia, laos,vetam,burma,malyaand all those countrys and maybe even indonesia

• I really don’t think this scenario is plausible, just take the vietnamese, they really don’t like the chinese, for now an alliance is unimaginable.

• just take the vietnamese, they really don’t like the chinese,

Heh… did seem like the case when I went there or over here… :-?

But I doubt of any war between the two countries. Next thing you know, you’ll probably want to invade Cuba…

• …or canada. :)

• The U.S. and PRC are like Rome and Carthage (respectively), in a race to control the global market and dominate militarily as well.

About the Korean war, Emu, your causalties are roughly 10 times too big.

It is true that the U.S. had a better military then, and it is true now.

BESIDES, the U.S. has it’s assets more strategically placed. Imagine China having 100,000 troops in Mexico, and A fleet docked at Vancouver and ABMDS in British Columbia. Plus several squadrons of aircraft in the Bahamas.

• @yourbuttocks:

The U.S. and PRC are like Rome and Carthage (respectively), in a race to control the global market and dominate militarily as well.

You know that in the end of Rome/Carthage the country, that was not dominating before the wars, that was more kind of a local superpower, won…… ;)

• The city with a more powerful military won, and that is how the victory was decided. The U.S. defiently has a military edge.

• @yourbuttocks:

The city with a more powerful military won, and that is how the victory was decided. The U.S. defiently has a military edge.

The city with the better navy and better economy lost…

that’s two reasons for the US to go down :P :)

• “I defend the Good God against the idea of a continuous game of dice.” -Albert Einstein

Sure that Einstein said “Good God”?

• I totally agree with city on a hill. The question of winning a nuclear war is good though. I think there are too many possible scenarios of a nuclear war to be sure. But I do no one thing. If this country was to be attacked by nukes, I’d want whoever did it to get the same thing. It’s called defending yourself. I don’t believe in sitting back and letting someone beat me up. I think the PRC is just waiting for a chance to start a war. In my opinion, they’ve been a little bit too quiet for comfort. Like when a child is quiet, you know trouble is brewing. Same idea. If we intervene with North Korea, China will use that as its excuse. We just need to be ready.

• so if it is too loud American’s get nervous, and if the country is too quiet then American’s get nervous. When are Americans not nervous?

• Hmmm, good question…

maybe they try keep themselves less nervous by ignoring disturbing things?

• in anaesthesia we refer to that as “conscious sedation”.

• First falk, Rome did have a better navy. It was largely a Roman “feel good” idea that they built this powerful navy out of nothing.

Carthage had a lot of ships, but many of them were not military and the average quality of their military ships and sailors was lower than Rome. Also, consider that at that time the navy was mostly armies on rafts, thus the army was part of the navy. Plus, Rome was supported by allie’s ships. (Like how the U.S. has support of the S. Korean, British, Taiwanese Navies) Finally, the Romans had experience hunting down pirates, and the Carthegenians were baisically pirates.

But to get back to the PRC, when it comes to Navy, we outnumber and outclass them. The main Chinese strategy in dealing with our navy is balistic missiles. Godd luck taking out submarines with cruise missiles.

Second, I got the Einstein quote froma quote thing. I am sure it included “Good” as I pasted it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m