• TripleA

Cut and dry question. We all know Japan can get a good size stack to pressure india and keep lots of defenders there rather than at caucasus.

So what round does germany move in for caucasus in your games? What are your typical odds?

I will start, I usually go all in on G4, since everything is bought rounds 1-3 before the allies have an impact on europe. I buy infantry/arty G1, move it up I bring the norway units down, defend west europe with just fighters/1-2 inf and a cruiser in front. I setup to pressure karelia, but in reality I am going for caucasus. G2 buy all armor, move every unit next to ukraine andor west russia then G3 I buy bombers/infantry/arty (to counter whatever the allies drop in on me) and stack up in ukraine.

Now japan is South East Asia centric. Because when germany buys all armor, the alarms go off and uk might move men into persia, japan takes india, germany flies in fighters if necessary to hold india. In which case mission accomplished. Otherwise I go all in on caucasus if russia is defending, if russia retreats, I’ll take it and have japan fly in air if necessary to hold.

~
    What do you guys do?

• TripleA

I see a G5, vote. Might have to agree another round for more cannon fodder is better since the tank to infantry ratio is kinda off for G4.

• @Cow:

I see a G5, vote. Might have to agree another round for more cannon fodder is better since the tank to infantry ratio is kinda off for G4.

G5, aye!  (Sorry for voting without a comment, was a bit pressed for time earlier.)

And that is exactly the reason–cannon fodder.  Also gives Japan a bit more time, in case Moscow needs to be “double-tapped.”

• @Cow:

I will start, I usually go all in on G4, since everything is bought rounds 1-3 before the allies have an impact on europe. I buy infantry/arty G1, move it up I bring the norway units down, defend west europe with just fighters/1-2 inf and a cruiser in front. I setup to pressure karelia, but in reality I am going for caucasus. G2 buy all armor, move every unit next to ukraine andor west russia then G3 I buy bombers/infantry/arty (to counter whatever the allies drop in on me) and stack up in ukraine.

Now japan is South East Asia centric. Because when germany buys all armor, the alarms go off and uk might move men into persia, japan takes india, germany flies in fighters if necessary to hold india. In which case mission accomplished. Otherwise I go all in on caucasus if russia is defending, if russia retreats, I’ll take it and have japan fly in air if necessary to hold.

What do you guys do?

I tested this strategy as Axis yesterday against Paulzy with Low Luck, we didn’t finish the game but it’s pretty much decided I think. On G3 I stacked Ukraine with 7 INF and 15 ARM, plus 5 Japanese FTRs nearby and the UK evacuated India right afterwards. I think I could win the attack (I didn’t calculated even) but it would have cost me the 15 tank stack and the 9 VC victory.
    The Allies decided to go KGF and on UK3 they liberated Karelia. The Japanese moved into India on J3 and non-combat moved a force to take Hawaii on J4. Meanwhile, on G3 the Germans moved their army into West Russia and sent a second stack to Baltic States to crush the small UK/US contingent on G4, so at the end of round 4, Axis wins with 9 VCs.

• TripleA

eww vc win for 1942. not a real win unless you take russia imo. :)

• The VC win is about making the game shorter for players who care about time. Also, an Axis VC victory isn’t about saying “the Axis would for sure win the war” it’s about saying they have done much better than they did historically.

• @Cow:

True, that. Â

It definitely feels like the Allies have to work a lot harder to get their 9 VCs.  The Axis VCs (except maybe Phillipines) all seem a lot more easily defensible than Karelia (touching two German territories and a German Trn), India (within striking distance of the combined might of the Japanese fleet by J2-3), and Hawaii (a constant draw on US forces to defend).  In fact, Hawaii as a VC seems like it does more to hold US back then it does to help.

• @MistuhJay:

@Cow:

True, that. �

It definitely feels like the Allies have to work a lot harder to get their 9 VCs. � The Axis VCs (except maybe Phillipines) all seem a lot more easily defensible than Karelia (touching two German territories and a German Trn), India (within striking distance of the combined might of the Japanese fleet by J2-3), and Hawaii (a constant draw on US forces to defend). � In fact, Hawaii as a VC seems like it does more to hold US back then it does to help.

it’s definitely undervalued. All VCs should be 4s at minimum.

• TripleA

as far as a vc game goes, that’s a huge edge for the axis to have.

• Just throwin this out there… Hawaii starting with a value of 3/4 and an IC? Now THAT’S what I’d call a Victory City!

• Generally when the stack of infantry bought in Round 1 gets in Ukraine(round 3), therefore round 4 is when caucasus goes down. If things didn’t roll well, i might have to hit west russia instead and then hit caucasus in round 5.

• TripleA

I guess I am with the majority on caucasus, interesting.

• How every long it takes to get the point of having a 70% chance of taking and holding it. if it’s G3 then it’s G3 but if the dice are kicking my ass and it has to be G7 then it’s G7 but to me not lossing and not lossing it is by far more important than when

• TripleA

If you are getting diced it usually means you got to do a big gamble on something sooner rather than later… or else you just wither away and lose 8 hours later.

sure if your opponent is bad, you will come up with opportunities along the way to make up for it.

• I played again as Axis last night and my belief is that Germany is served better by placing itself to occupy Karelia on G2, otherwise it’s easy to stop the German advance by flying all the UK/US fighters to Caucasus on round 3. On G1 you buy 3 inf, 2 art, 4 arm and move everything to reach Karelia on G2.
    Unless Russia goes completely for tanks on R1/2 it’s nearly impossible to defeat Germany’s 8 inf and 15 arm on Karelia on R3. Then on G2 Germany spends all its money on infantry (to reach Caucasus/WR on G5) and G3/4 mostly armor.
    With a G2 German stack on Karelia, the Allies are forced to fortify West Russia against a G3 attack (by flying all fighters from India/UK) or to abandon it. And when the G2 infantry purchase arrives at Ukraine or joins the Karelia stack then Russia is essentially doomed.

• I’m a firm believer in Don’s essay’s there for I don’t make gambles.

• That fact that the people I play with never let me play Allies… Ill base this on my last game, a new guy, first time playing and he decides to pick the Soviets, I decide to let my other friend, play Germany to have some fun, it was the 2nd turn when he DESTROYED Caucasus, and G4 was when Moscow fell to the Germans, we whipped Russia out in under an hour. This probably only works with new guys  :-P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m