Russia attack west russia with everything that can reach on the first turn.

• That is he plan down to a T. He is flying one fighter to egypt and sending everything else at west russia.
    Thanks for your advice. My plan was to destroy most of the ships with Germany in the first round.

• @Petebu:

Thanks for your advice.

You’re welcome.@Petebu:

My plan was to destroy most of the ships with Germany in the first round.

With this plan you sink several ships without exposing your aircraft to being shot down. I think your planes are much more valuable alive than on the bottom of the Atlantic under an all-in KRF strategy.

I WAS thinking USSR should take Ukraine on R1 for the sake of the net TUV destroyed and protecting the Caucasus complex from German attack on G1. But now that I’ve actually got the board set up at the end of G1 with 6 FTR on Ukraine I’m thinking that it may be absolutely necessary, just to keep Russia in the game. I don’t know if USSR will ultimately even be able to spare the FTR for Egypt. If I’m the Russian player, then at this point I feel like the Germans have me forked.

• How many games have you played so far? My first game will be this Friday. I have played Axis & Allies for many years now. I thought about buying 2 subs with Germany on the first round to avoid any build up from UK. What do you think of that?

• @Petebu:

How many games have you played so far? My first game will be this Friday. I have played Axis & Allies for many years now. I thought about buying 2 subs with Germany on the first round to avoid any build up from UK. What do you think of that?

One SS would be enough, but I always add a Bomber for flex.  1SS/1Bomber/5inf/2art

• TripleA

bomber infantry slugfest, what? lol

• @Petebu:

How many games have you played so far? My first game will be this Friday.

I have played 1 game against myself and 1 more against my brother. Plus, I’ve had the board set up on my table for a while and analyzed early game scenarios.@Petebu:

thought about buying 2 subs with Germany on the first round to avoid any build up from UK. What do you think of that?

I see the ARM as the primary offensive backup to the wave in Ukraine and the INF & ART at least in part there to protect the VCs. I feel like the SS would be to protect the VCs from Allied naval. So, I think I’d buy 4 less INF if i was buying 1 or 2 SS. Maybe the buy should be 1 INF, 2 ART, 3-4 ARM & 1-2 SS. This way you’d end G1 with 2 INF & 2 ART in Germany to help secure the nearby VCs (Rome, Paris and Leningrad). Remember the G1 ARM can hit Karelia G2 and/or it can hit Caucasus or Russia G3.

• The inf would help in pushing Russia in…I wouldn’t go more than the one SS…you’re remaining SS/FTRs should be able to provide you some cover for a few turns against any UK drops.

• Customizer

One thing I don’t understand: Why fly the Russian fighter to Egypt? Russia only starts with 2 fighters and can’t really afford to replace them. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to me that Russian fighter could be better used in Russia than on some British territory.

• @knp7765:

One thing I don’t understand: Why fly the Russian fighter to Egypt? Russia only starts with 2 fighters and can’t really afford to replace them. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to me that Russian fighter could be better used in Russia than on some British territory.

thinking like a true comrade…
    People just want to protect Egypt from Germany, and protect the Egypt FTR so it can hit the E. Indies fleet.  It’s a legit move, but I don’t think its necessary.  I would rather let Germany hit Egypt G1 and go light on other attacks for better chance of losing units.  The Russian FTR won’t stay greater than 1 turn in Egypt…I’m pretty sure it’s going to run like hell back to Russian territory on R2.  The FTR just greatly reduces a G1 attack on Egypt.  To each his own…

• @Mallery29:

People just want to protect Egypt from Germany, and protect the Egypt FTR so it can hit the E. Indies fleet.  It’s a legit move, but I don’t think its necessary.  I would rather let Germany hit Egypt G1 and go light on other attacks for better chance of losing units.  The Russian FTR won’t stay greater than 1 turn in Egypt…I’m pretty sure it’s going to run like hell back to Russian territory on R2.  The FTR just greatly reduces a G1 attack on Egypt.  To each his own…

I pretty much agree with every thing Mallery29 says here.

I think it’s necessary to attack Ukraine R1, and I think losing the attack will put you in a GOOD position to LOSE the game. Right now I prefer sending every possible unit to Ukraine R1. Shorting that battle even by 1 ARM or FTR INCREASES your odds of LOSING from 3% to 12%, a FOUR TIMES increase. When you send everything to Ukraine, on average you win with 3 ARM left in Ukraine.

Someone will argue that Germany will wipe them out G1. That is true, but you will kill 1-2 INF. And when Germany counterattacks Ukraine, they won’t be able to take West Russia also, unless you just had atrocious rolls on R1. It is critical for USSR to hold West Russia. That is why I think it’s so important to fully commit to Ukraine R1. And if I was making this move, then I’d buy 4-6 INF & 1-2 ARM on R1.

• What are the common buys for Japan in the first round? I was thinking about 1 Transport, 1 sub and the rest inf. My friend wants to merge the 2 American fleets right next to Japan after his turn. I believe that I can destory this with ease.

• @Petebu:

What are the common buys for Japan in the first round? I was thinking about 1 Transport, 1 sub and the rest inf. My friend wants to merge the 2 American fleets right next to Japan after his turn. I believe that I can destory this with ease.

It depends on your strategy.

Here are some options–

–3 AP & 3 INF
    –IC, AP & 2 ART
    –AP, INF, DD & BMR
    –2 AP, SS, 2 INF & ART
    –CV, AP & 3 INF

• @UrJohn:

Here are some options–
    –3 AP & 3 INF
    –IC, AP & 2 ART
    –AP, INF, DD & BMR
    –2 AP, SS, 2 INF & ART
    –CV, AP & 3 INF

I really like options 1 and 2 (J1 bomber, ftw!), but why would you need a third CV when you start with two already?

I’m not knockin it-just genuinely want to understand the logic.  =)

• @MistuhJay:

@UrJohn:

Here are some options–
    –3 AP & 3 INF
    –IC, AP & 2 ART
    –AP, INF, DD & BMR
    –2 AP, SS, 2 INF & ART
    –CV, AP & 3 INF

I really like options 1 and 2 (J1 bomber, ftw!), but why would you need a third CV when you start with two already?

I’m not knockin it-just genuinely want to understand the logic.  =)

makes the americans go pacific or lose their fleet.

• @MistuhJay:

@UrJohn:

–CV, AP & 3 INF

why would you need a third CV when you start with two already?

I don’t think you’d need a 3rd CV on J1. By the time its J1, you may be down to 1 CV. If the UK attacks your SZ 37 fleet and wins soundly, then Japan starts off on the defensive. You may want a 2nd CV.

If you don’t buy any navy/air force on J1, then the US can take the initiative in the Pacific. You will be hard pressed to do everything the IJN needs to do: protect Philippines, Borneo, East Indies, Japan, Kwangtung and Manchuria; chase off or destroy the USN; crush India; and pick up Australia, New Zealand and/or Africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m