• Well first of all, I don’t see how this topic would be worthy of a prank, since we will know soon enough. You haven’t given me any reason not to believe the guy, you’re speculation wasn’t any more compelling than his supposed first hand knowledge. I just take it for what it is. Lastly, post count in a forum is not a good indication that the person knows what they are talking about.  :roll: I just found the notion that the price would be based on outrageous OOP prices to be humorous. I got the impression that he might be one of those who paid hundreds for an OOP copy and is not too happy that a similar game would now go for around $60.

• @spc71:

Well first of all, I don’t see how this topic would be worthy of a prank, since we will know soon enough. You haven’t given me any reason not to believe the guy, you’re speculation wasn’t any more compelling than his supposed first hand knowledge.

But the difference is that I assume from the beginning that I’m speculating and trying to guess what the differences will be, while on his words he says that he’s seen the board but so far has offered no proof of it, and just said something that everyone wants, a reprint of AA50.
    If you still want to create expectations that a AA50 reprint is on its way, go ahead but you’re the one who will be disappointed if it does not come out.

• Disappointment doesn’t figure in, if I don’t like what I see from the coming review then I won’t preorder. There’s always global later this year where you more or less know what your getting. A&A always seems to incorporate new things so I wouldn’t be surprised if its a little global, a little anniversary, and a little something new.

• @spc71:

Disappointment doesn’t figure in, if I don’t like what I see from the coming review then I won’t preorder. There’s always global later this year where you more or less know what your getting. A&A always seems to incorporate new things so I wouldn’t be surprised if its a little global, a little anniversary, and a little something new.

And a lot of the first Spring 1942 edition, which already is an evolution of the Revised map, which in turn comes from the Classic map. And I seriously doubt that they would simply ditch the experience gained since Revised to balance the game by adopting a map similar to AA50. But I may be wrong, like I mentioned above, I’m just speculating :)

• @Hobbes:

@spc71:

Disappointment doesn’t figure in, if I don’t like what I see from the coming review then I won’t preorder. There’s always global later this year where you more or less know what your getting. A&A always seems to incorporate new things so I wouldn’t be surprised if its a little global, a little anniversary, and a little something new.

And a lot of the first Spring 1942 edition, which already is an evolution of the Revised map. And I seriously doubt that they would simply ditch the experience gained since Revised to balance the game by adopting a map similar to AA50. But I may be wrong, like I mentioned above, I’m just speculating :)

You forget Revised map was just an evolution of the Classic map.

• well our little back and forth didn’t smoke out any confirmations, their lips are puckered.

• TripleA

@Hobbes:

@spc71:

i don’t have any reason not to believe the guy

How about a prank? Or, do you believe everything that is posted on the internet, or from someone new to the forums?

Until proof, it is either speculation or misinformation.

Hey Hobbes, don’t be so skeptical. Read all of miamiumike’s posts(as you have noted there are only about 10) and notice which threads they are in. You will probably believe that they are true.

• '12

Belief ought to never be the default position when coming across new information, in particular on internet forums.

• '10

@spc71:

Well first of all, I don’t see how this topic would be worthy of a prank, since we will know soon enough. You haven’t given me any reason not to believe the guy, you’re speculation wasn’t any more compelling than his supposed first hand knowledge. I just take it for what it is. Lastly, post count in a forum is not a good indication that the person knows what they are talking about.  :roll: I just found the notion that the price would be based on outrageous OOP prices to be humorous. I got the impression that he might be one of those who paid hundreds for an OOP copy and is not too happy that a similar game would now go for around $60.

I find it funny that you think a game that cost more than $60 when it came out, has shown since that people are willing to pay well more than $60 for it, will then be reprinted and cost only $60. What type of business is that? :?

• '10

@Col.:

@spc71:

Well first of all, I don’t see how this topic would be worthy of a prank, since we will know soon enough. You haven’t given me any reason not to believe the guy, you’re speculation wasn’t any more compelling than his supposed first hand knowledge. I just take it for what it is. Lastly, post count in a forum is not a good indication that the person knows what they are talking about.  :roll: I just found the notion that the price would be based on outrageous OOP prices to be humorous. I got the impression that he might be one of those who paid hundreds for an OOP copy and is not too happy that a similar game would now go for around $60.

I find it funny that you think a game that cost more than $60 when it came out, has shown since that people are willing to pay well more than $60 for it, will then be reprinted and cost only $60. What type of business is that? :?

BTW, never bought anniversary. Paid 35 dollars to have IL’s map printed and have it for much less than market.

• Well…its not the same game (AA50th)
    No plastic ICs
    No Paper money
    No Italy
    No China
    No NOs
    No Tech

• @questioneer:

@miamiumike:

I do not have the board in front of me, so, I do not have all the changes, but here are ones I do know:

a) algeria and libya were 2 territories - now are 3 - add in morrocco - all worth 1 IPC
    b) china has been divided into 4 territories (each worth 1 IPC)
    c) what was s. europe now has s. europe and I think Italy separate - there is an IC in Italy, but the IPC value is only 3
    d) the overall IPC count at the start is almost exactly the same - I think Germany starts with 41 (not 40) and UK starts with 31 (not 30)
    e) australia is now two territories (each worth 1 IPC)
    f) norway is now split into finland and norway
    g) there seems to be just a bit more ‘space’ between germany (berlin) and russia (moscow)
    h) africa is just a bit different - including egypt being by itself with I think sudan below it (but sudan is worth nothing)
    i) there is now a burma territory
    j) western europe is now broken into two pieces - like global

That is all I can remember ATM…

MM

Wow…if this is true then essentially this IS the AA50 reprint…some new sculpts…revised rules, setup and new map essentially…on top of that its almost guaranteed that the same scuplts if not more will be redone- along with other map corrections and such for the new E40 and P40 in the fall…very exiciting.  WOTC has finally done it right- about time.

Wow…said something nice about the games.  But wait, I thought All other AA games equaled “Candyland” in comparision to G40?

• @oztea:

How come you have the board before it has been released?

Simple…Because, we got a few copies from Wizards at Origins to give out as prizes and then there is my copy… :-D

Greg Smorey
    Axis & Allies Tournament Director/GM - GEN CON/Origins/SG

• @smo63:

Wow…said something nice about the games.  But wait, I thought All other AA games equaled “Candyland” in comparision to G40?

Yes that is true…but its still a good game and the 1942-2nd edition in essence IS the AA50 reprint- that’s the best were getting with that and that OK with me.  C’mon this is WOTC we’re talking about here- I also heard they STILL made mistakes on the production of the 42- 2nd edition and 41 game.  :?  Bafoons.

Greg, I’m surprised you actually use the “internet”- seeming how you think Triple A/Online players are inferior to your boys at GenCon.

I actually have a way where online players can play the best FTF at GenCon- not this year of course, but next.  I think you might find it intriguing…you will have to compromise and work with me, but I believe you will at the very least entertain the idea seriously…are you interested???

Got the idea from running the Detroit Dominion Qualifier for Nationals (which went really well BTW).

• with an invite like that how could he refuse :|

2nd edition review aside, is the release date on the 27th still a go?

• To answer the questions about how I ‘know’ this is on the game - I am fortunate enough to know Greg Smorey - the guy who runs the A&A events at Origins and GenCon. In fact, at GenCon, I am one of his ‘helpers’. So - he has a copy of the game so that we can get working on setting up the rules and how the tournament will be run.

Also we have seen the new 1941 game - I personally will be running all the A&A for Beginners events at GenCon - and this is the game we will use.

You can trust what I have posted is accurate to the extent that my memory did not fail me… :-D

MM

• The 27th is still the target date, yes.

As for this being a reprint of AA50 - well, I could easily see why someone might think that. It is not quite AA50, but it is pretty close really. Also - the 1942 2nd Edition will be the mainstay game in the line going forward.

One thing not mentioned yet is that there are new chips in the game as well - they are pretty cool - have A&A printed on them - and there are three colors - white (1), green (3) and red (5). IIRC the initial reaction was that there were not quite enough of them - not too bad - but more is always better. However - we also had the first ‘dangit, I forgot the green was THREE and not ONE unit’ error early on. In otherwords, while I see where they are going with it, for those of us who have played a LOT of A&A over the years with two chip colors - it will be an adjustment….I almost do not want to use them to be honest…

Oh - and armor cost 6 in this game - not sure if that was mentioned.

MM

• Official Q&A

@miamiumike:

However - we also had the first ‘dangit, I forgot the green was THREE and not ONE unit’ error early on. In otherwords, while I see where they are going with it, for those of us who have played a LOT of A&A over the years with two chip colors - it will be an adjustment….I almost do not want to use them to be honest…

Trust me, you’ll not only get used to them, but you’ll wonder what you ever did without them.

• Thanks for the additional information.  Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this game, especially the game board and setup.

• @questioneer:

@smo63:

Wow…said something nice about the games.�  But wait, I thought All other AA games equaled “Candyland” in comparision to G40?

Greg, I’m surprised you actually use the “internet”- seeming how you think Triple A/Online players are inferior to your boys at GenCon.

Shiloe,

I know we jab at each other a lot, but please don’t ever put words in my mouth when you know they aren’t true.

You know I never said that and that you are the one I believe have beat the FTF players down by making comments like, “they have no idea to play the game” Etc.

I never nor will I ever say that anyone is inferior to any one else especially when it comes to playing AA.  All I have said that it is a board game.  And when online players come to play FTF, the are in for a big surprise when it comes to playing FTF.

I thought we agreed that we will never really know if one is better than another.  So, I am not really sure if you are serious or not, but I don’t appreciate you putting words in my mouth regarding this.  If anything, the whole point, is that online players talk smack about the games but when it comes to playing FTF, well there is one excuse after another.

That is why it is so great that I will get to meet Dave J. again…

Peace,
    Greg Smorey
    Axis & Allies Tournament Director, GM-GEN CON/Origins/SG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m