G1940 Alpha+3 Italy Goes Before UK

• Copied from Larry’s board. This is a stab at it, I doubt it’s perfect. ABattleMap module can be found here: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=22837.0. Now added a second file with Italy’s Red Sea Flotilla represented by a destroyer in SZ 76. I don’t know if it’s strictly needed for balance, but it seems fun to me and gives just a bit more of a boost to Italy. Another idea by Gargantua was to add a transport there as well.

Proposed setup changes for Alpha+ 3 where Italy simply goes before the UK in the turn order. Rationale for unit changes:

1. The Regia Marina was geared for warfare, not supply movement or troop transport. Reduced initial transports by 1. You can fix Mussolini’s mistakes by purchasing transports.

2. Regia Marina had a large number of subs which are currently not represented.

3. Italy was badly outnumbered going into Egypt. Italy will need better support as the generals requested to make a successful push (Germany can open the door here G1). Egypt should be able to hold for a bit, but the UK should not be able to cripple Italy on UK1, making for a prolonged war in this important area.

4. Italy’s strategic bomber squad is rather out of place all things considered, and I think hardly needed for this setup. Replaced with the original tactical bomber.

5. UK blockers in SZ 96 and 99 prevent an Italian attack into SZ 98 territories without German help G1. This opens up some options with the old drawback that Germany still can’t do everything G1.

6. UK naval group moved back to the Red Sea to prevent just the reverse of the original problem with Italy losing its navy first turn. UK still gets advantage of the port, but I don’t think it really gets them in Japan’s grill faster. This does take away the option of moving to Gibraltar UK1. I’m unsure how I feel about that. I don’t think I care much in this setup.

7. Italy has potentially 4 naval groups to go after I1, and possibly landings in Gibraltar and Malta, making for some interesting decisions, potentially leading to a Taranto raid situation.

8. AA guns in Africa add a bit of defense to each side and should add some early hesitation in the Alexandria area.

9. Added in the UK strategic bomber on England. Because with these changes, why not? Gives them a little something more for slipping a place in the turn order. If Italy is not a bit cautious, it could cost them on UK1.

Disclaimer: I have only a foggy idea on actual troop positions. I moved things around mostly for gameplay rather than historical reasons. I’d like to hear comments in that regard. If things can be improved, great. I think this makes the Med a bit more exciting, and definitely more fun for the poor neglected Italian player.

Italy

North Italy: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, 2 AA Guns, 1 Major IC
    Tobruk: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AA Gun
    SZ 95: 2 Destroyers, 1 Cruiser, 2 Subs, 1 Transport
    SZ 96: Remove Destroyer and Transport
    SZ 97: 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport, 1 Sub

UK

England: 2 Infantry, 2 Fighters, 1 Strategic Bomber, 4 AA guns, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
    Alexandria: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Egypt: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AA Gun, 1 Naval Base
    SZ 96: 1 Cruiser
    SZ 98: Ships removed
    SZ 99: 1 Destroyer
    SZ 81: 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/1 Tac Bomber, 1 Transport
    Alpha3_Italy_Before_UK.AAM
    Alpha3_Italy_Before_UK_2.AAM

• After further reading, I did a bit more arranging based on historical deployments. France gets a sub, Italy gets another tac (they had no long range bombers before 1942), added a transport to the Red Sea Flotilla, and moved the UK fleet back to Alexandria where it belongs and added a battleship there. I’ll be playtesting this soon.

Alpha3_Italy_Before_UK_3.AAM

• And that last one is junk since it allows Italy to crush the UK with German help. This should work better and is the one I will be testing.

Italy
    Northern Italy: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 tank, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber, 2 AA Guns, 1 Major IC
    Sicily: Air Base
    Southern Italy: 6 Infantry, 2 AA Guns, 1 Naval Base, 1 Airbase, 1 Minor IC Albania: 2 Infantry, 1 tank
    Italian Somaliland: 1 Infantry
    Ethiopia : 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Libya: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Tobruk: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 tank, 1 AA gun
    Sea Zone 95: 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 97: 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport, 1 Sub
    Sea Zone 76: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport (Red Sea Flotilla, might be fun)

UK

United Kingdom: 1 Strategic Bomber, 2 Infantry, 2 Fighters, 4 AA guns, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
    Gibraltar: 1 fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base
    Malta: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 AA gun, 1 Airbase
    Egypt: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AA gun, 1 Naval Base
    Anglo-Egyptian Sudan: 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 98: 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/1 Tac Bomber, 1 Transport, 1 Battleship
    Union of South Africa: 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC

Italy attack on the fleet at Alexandria is not a good idea, and Italy can also hunker down and not have the UK stomp them first turn if they want. Both powers would get to decide if and when to attack and not have the decision taken away before they went.

Alpha3_Italy_Before_UK_4.AAM

• Take 5. I realized with this rearrangement, Egypt doesn’t need that extra infantry (or I miscalculated some strategy when I started looking at this again!). Also, Sicily may as well have an AA gun, and naval base which could just maybe fall into the hands of the Allies.

Italy
    Northern Italy: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 tank, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber, 2 AA Guns, 1 Major IC
    Sicily: 1 AA Gun, Air Base, Naval Base
    Southern Italy: 6 Infantry, 2 AA Guns, 1 Naval Base, 1 Airbase, 1 Minor IC Albania: 2 Infantry, 1 tank
    Italian Somaliland: 1 Infantry
    Ethiopia : 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Libya: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Tobruk: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 tank, 1 AA gun
    Sea Zone 95: 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 97: 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport, 1 Sub
    Sea Zone 76: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport (Red Sea Flotilla, might be fun)

UK

United Kingdom: 1 Strategic Bomber, 2 Infantry, 2 Fighters, 4 AA guns, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
    Gibraltar: 1 fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base
    Malta: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 AA gun, 1 Airbase
    Egypt: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AA gun, 1 Naval Base
    Anglo-Egyptian Sudan: 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 98: 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/1 Tac Bomber, 1 Transport, 1 Battleship
    Union of South Africa: 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC

Alpha3_Italy_Before_UK_5.AAM

• I totally agree with you, too bad Larry and WOTC doesnt  :-(

• @Razor:

I totally agree with you, too bad Larry and WOTC doesnt  :-(

I think Larry is warming to the idea, but it may just be a matter of not enough time to test it out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m