• Sponsor

@knp7765:

That brings up another question.  Do the coastal guns simply roll 1 die for each enemy warship in one big roll?  OR, do they roll for each type of ship separately like AA Guns?

If it’s the former, then I could understand using destroyers to soak up hits to protect cruisers or battleships.  However, if it’s the latter, then it wouldn’t make much sense to send destroyers or carriers into that sea zone since they can’t bombard, the carriers could move in there in the NCM to retreive the planes and the coastal gun is going to get a crack at the cruisers and battleships anyway.

What do you think they should do, roll all at once and let the fleet decide what gets hit, or assign rolls to each ship. It’s hard to get the same effect as AA Guns because capital ships need 2 hits to sink. I hope alfa +3 takes away bombardments from damaged battleships. Carriers have strong consequences when damaged as should battleships.

• Here’s my coastal gun rules.
    cost = 8
    fire at 2 only in the first round fo combat against warship and transport.
    2 hit to destroy a coastal gun.

• i think they should be treated like a AA gun and cost 8 IPC’s

• Sponsor

@crusaderiv:

Here’s my coastal gun rules.
    cost = 8
    fire at 2 only in the first round fo combat against warship and transport.
    2 hit to destroy a coastal gun.

I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.

• I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.
    Naaaaaaaaaa……it seems terrifying but in the last 5 years, I believe only one of us lost 1 ships against a coastal gun.
    Don’t forget, Coastal gun fire only in the first round of combat.

• i think i would attack with planes and is like a ic where it needs to be build in a 2 or 3 point land???

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@crusaderiv:

I’m not sure I would ever send my ships into a sea zone thats protected by a coastal gun with those numbers.
    Naaaaaaaaaa……it seems terrifying but in the last 5 years, I believe only one of us lost 1 ships against a coastal gun.
    Don’t forget, Coastal gun fire only in the first round of combat.

Those must be loaded dice. Firing a shot at each ship (including trans) at a 2 should cause 33% casualties. I wouldn’t take that risk either…

• Those must be loaded dice. Firing a shot at each ship (including trans) at a 2 should cause 33% casualties. I wouldn’t take that risk either…
    No only 1 dice…one dice for each ship is too much…non realistic…

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Ah! That makes much more sense. In this case with just one die, I would say it would only target BBs or CAs as they are the ones moving close enough for shore bombardment. I guess you could target transports as well, but I think most people would rather lose a cruiser than a loaded transport.

• Customizer

Coastal guns don’t fire at transports, ONLY warships.
    Also, I think hitting at 2 is a little strong.

• no they should make it so you can take out transports as well as warships

• Coastal guns don’t fire at transports, ONLY warships.
    Also, I think hitting at 2 is a little strong.

Not if your heavy cruiser and battleships take two hits.

• heavy cruiser???

• Heavy cruiser = house rules.

• Thanks ill check it out

• Customizer

In our AAA games we have a coastal artillery rule, but its quite a bit more limited:

“Shore Guns:
    Coastal artillery was largely outmoded during WWII, except in the 5 territories underlined below. Ownership of these units depends upon the ownership of the territory, as they cannot be moved. When passing between the sea zones: 12 &13 (Gibraltar), 15 & 16 (Turkey), 5 & 6 (Norway), 6 & 7 (United Kingdom & Northwestern Europe), all enemy naval units except submarines, must endure 1 cycle of fire from Anti-ship guns located in the above territories. Coastal Artillery units attack as Antiaircraft guns, but count as 2 hits to Battleships.  Once a territory with coastal artillery is successfully invaded, the shore guns are destroyed.”

Our rules on them are based on the assumption they’re taken out before/during an amphibious invasion.  Granted, the above is more for simplicity’s sake yet adding some flavor. This also goes with the rest of our AAA House rules
    ( http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20025.90 ), not too sure how it would perform with Global.   :-)  And BTW, the coastal artillery FMG sells for the game Singapore 1942 are excellent representations…

• i think that would work but what was the ipc cost

• Customizer

@450thMSAF:

i think that would work but what was the ipc cost

No IPC cost on mine… not sure if you were referring to my post or not  :|

• i meant what do you price it at e.g. Infantry 3 Artillery 4 etc…

• Customizer

I don’t think he has an IPC price.  You can’t buy these coastal guns.  They only have them in the three territories he mentioned (Gibraltar, Norway and Turkey).  Whoever owns these territories automatically have the coastal guns.
    Plus, if an enemy power invades these territories, the guns are destroyed so you won’t have them the rest of the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m