• No matter what happens, Germany should always prepare for a Sealion at the beginning of its turn. I buy 3 TTs, one Sub, and an inf. At then end of my first turn I will have a massive force on the Eastern front, and be ready to invade East poland, the Baltics, and Bessarbia. To prevent a G2 sealion England can only do one thing - build 10 inf (making Africa vulnerable). They also most likely abandon Taranto to cope with Sealion. In the event this happens, Italy will have a much easier time in the Africa and the Med, and can begin to support ther Germans in Russia sooner. ALSO, if Germany knows that sealion is no longer possible in G2, it can immediatly invade Lenningrad, and most likely take it.

So total benefits of a planned G2 Sealion
    -Forces England to spend IPCs on England, not Africa
    -Reduces the chances of a taranto happening
    -Allows for the Germans to invade Lenningrad on G2, for a one-two punch into Russia
    -Allows the Italians to roam free in the Med, Middle East, and Africa
    -Still allows for a possible Sealion later on in the game.

• @rock`n:

<snip>i do not agree, as you know already. never seen sealion work AND the axis winning afterwards. that sealion works, no doubt, but only with the price of loosing the european board.</snip>

That you’ve not seen it happen is not the same as it a) can’t happen and b) can’t win the game.
    The only time I’ve won OOB as Axis was with Sealion. In that game, removing England caused Italy to become very powerful, very fast - even to the point where it was throwing tanks into Calcuatta, had taken South Russia, the entire Africa and was playing catch with the USA.
    Sure, the game might have looked different if I got diced on Sealion, but well …. you can plan with the dice, but you can’t control them.

I’m sure you can win the game without, but well - that’s not really the issue and frankly, I do not care that people win doing only Barbarossa. The issue is that you claim it is a “dead end” and will cause you to loose the game. Well, others disagree, not just me, and use the tactic to great advantage.

And no, the game isn’t poker, but that does not change the fact that if you’re a one trick pony, and always visible go for Russia, it’s much much easier to counter, than if the enemy doesn’t know which direction you go and must plan accordingly. And heck - I’d find it a very dull game if it was always a rush for Russia. Doubt I’d even play it much then.
    So I’m glad Sealion is a viable alternative for me.

• Sealion can work so can Barbarossa even in the same game I’ve seen it more than once. It can also fail It all depends on the dice and strategy. 
      In one of the first games Russia bought into their Navy and Germany wasn’t paying attention. That was a reset and I didn’t count it into the score of win/loss each week.    It’s still about 50/50

• Wasn’t this about T1 Axis purchases?  :-D

Germany - Carrier and 2 Transports

Japan - Minor IC and 2 Transports (although the Naval Base in Hainan is intriguing…)

Italy - Infantry and Transport

See a theme? The Axis has to create versatility and project power/tip the economic battle.

IMO the transports for Germany are to threaten Sea Lion, not to complete it. On G2, 6 land units per turn can shuck to Norway. Combined with the Finnish Infantry, Germany pretty quickly creates an overwhelming Northern front. Leningrad will fall. All mechanized forces can end up in the Baltic States on G4, with a ton of Inf/Art, and 6 more land units can be brought with the Kriegsmarine on G4 & G5 to put it over the top. Or, if Russia sends everything needed to save Leningrad, then Germany simply pivots all mech forces and the Ukraine falls. Yup. Russia, pick your poison. All set up with 2 Transports and a Carrier! Good times in the Fatherland.

G2 & G3 you’ll find a balanced purchase of inf/armor/a naval unit/an air unit will provide punch for Barbarossa.

Secondly, this G1 purchase forces Britain to honor the threat of Sea Lion, which slows them down in Africa. This is a good side benefit for Italy.

• @Stalingradski:

I am sorry for being ignorant, but for weeks I have been trying to figure out why the Germans buy an aircraft carrier on turn 1, and not two destroyers. All planes can hit England anyway if they are in Holland or West Germany, and two destroyers allow for better protection against subs and get two hits instead of one with an aircraft carrier. If you can’t land planes on it that turn, what’s the point of having an aircraft carrier?

Could someone PLEASE enlighten me on this one.

• @KillOFzee:

@Stalingradski:

I am sorry for being ignorant, but for weeks I have been trying to figure out why the Germans buy an aircraft carrier on turn 1, and not two destroyers. All planes can hit England anyway if they are in Holland or West Germany, and two destroyers allow for better protection against subs and get two hits instead of one with an aircraft carrier. If you can’t land planes on it that turn, what’s the point of having an aircraft carrier?

Could someone PLEASE enlighten me on this one.

The carrier is so you can land planes in the sea zone around England if you clear it of the navy and thus defend your position on Englands turn easier. If I remember right (at work) it can help bring the Norway fighter into play for a Lion as well.

It’ll also help you if you’re successful with Sealion to push out into the Atlantic or to remove the Russian battleship. As far as I remember, England or USA don’t have subs so destroyers anti-sub is marginal, unless you want to hunt the Russia sub to begin with.

However I’m sure you can do other things than a Carrier and still be successful.

• to xandax and any other one interested in discussing the viability of sealion etc.:

i don´t want to fill this thread with more “off-topic”, therefor i created another one, come on over here.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23612.new#new

greetings

rock`n roll

• @KillOFzee:

@Stalingradski:

Yes you can land on a newly purchased carrier.

• @special:

Really? But the purchase units phase comes after noncombat. Is that an alpha 2 rule

• @KillOFzee:

@special:

Really? But the purchase units phase comes after noncombat. Is that an alpha 2 rule

No - also an OOB rule.
    It is clarified in the rulebook under Carriers where it states that: “Landing doesn’t actually occur until the Mobilize New Units phase”

• Killofreeze - a carrier gives you four casualties at sea (assuming it is loaded) vs two hits with destroyers for the same price. IMO, you can start buying lesser naval pieces thereafter. The German fleet is primarily defensive for me, not offensive, so I’m looking for maximum deterrence. A carrier does that quite well.

Secondly, a carrier is a much more versatile piece if you choose to head to SZ91 and take Gibraltar/Morocco. It makes you feel safe when you combine it with your starting navy, and allows you to project your airpower.

All for the price of two destroyers!

• Sorry, that’s Killofzee… my mistake -

• Yeah too many rules too many games we keep catching ourselves saying " is that this game? oh no It’s the other one"

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m