• What’s your favorite Axis and Allies game?

• Global 1940

• Spring 1942. It is easier to get into. To me and my gaming group there are too many things to keep track of for AAP40 and I have not picked up AAE40 yet. I wanted to like AAP40 but it is just too much for us.

• '10

in tripleA speak, my fave is  ww2 v3 1941  low luck  no tech.(anniversary edition)

• @skinny1:

Spring 1942. It is easier to get into. To me and my gaming group there are too many things to keep track of for AAP40 and I have not picked up AAE40 yet. I wanted to like AAP40 but it is just too much for us.

Yeah, but I liked getting both AAP40 + AAE40 then play Global40… good game  :-D

• '10

AAG1940 and its decent size game board!

• it is a pretty big board… the only thing i dont like about it is that it takes forever to finish, as there are so many territories…

• Spring 1942

• '10

@Sun_Tzu:

it is a pretty big board… the only thing i dont like about it is that it takes forever to finish, as there are so many territories…

Then just play Europe or Pacific for a shorter game.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If you are talking unofficial, commonly accepted variants, I would say AARe (Enhanced Revised) otherwise, at this point, Anniversary.  1940 is nice, but until they fix the rules and the exploits, I cannot say I like it.

(What exploits?  Undefendable London for one.  What rules?  How about 5 allied turns slammed together between Japan and Italy?  The OOB turn order rocks.  I think I’ll recommend that from now on in my games.)

• The classic Axis and Allies is my favorite.

• '10

Global 1940

Followed by D-Day

• @Sun_Tzu:

Why is that molinar?

Mainly because it was the first AA game I ever played and it is what made me into a fan, so classic has a place in my heart  :roll:. It had its issues but it was simplistic and its always the version I use to introduce a new friend into the series.

• '10

G40 Alpha +2 and Guadalcanal

• Hey Axisplaya, under your picture it says “Who is this guy?”… So I was wondering,  who is that guy?

• My favorite has to be the Europe. Now I may be biased because it is the first A&A game I ever owned/played….

• I don’t know if your question includes custom map variants. But if it does, I’d like to weigh in in favor of New World Order; a custom map playable through TripleA. Lots of people use it because it’s so well-designed. Its focus is on Europe; and the European conflict is explored in a lot of detail. New World Order is to Anniversary Edition what Anniversary Edition is to Classic.

• '10

@Sun_Tzu:

Hey Axisplaya, under your picture it says “Who is this guy?”… So I was wondering,  who is that guy?

Sorry, didn’t see your post before…so just check out the wikipedia link in my signature.

• Just to add to what I’d written previously: if anyone is interested in learning more about the New World Order map, I suggest this thread. Unfortunately, the picture only shows you the approximate center of the map; so you don’t get to see that Finland is included as its own nation with several separate territories to start with, and the opportunity to acquire a significant number of additional, neutral territories from Sweden and Norway. You also don’t get to see the (extensive) theater in North Africa, the Mediterranean, or the Middle East. (The Colonial French exist as their own nation; separate from that of France. That way when Paris falls, the Colonial French can continue collecting income and contributing to the Allied war effort.) The map also doesn’t give you the chance to see all of Turkey (with its important industrial complexes), the portion of the Soviet Union near Moscow and east of Moscow, or the eastern United States and eastern Canada. That map does, however, give you the chance to see the Romanian navy (all one transport of it!); the competing German and Soviet fleets in the Baltic, and the overall scale of the map. France, for example, is divided into 14 territories.

The discussion in the above-linked thread is a good introduction to the strategies associated with it.

• @Cmdr:

If you are talking unofficial, commonly accepted variants, I would say AARe (Enhanced Revised) otherwise, at this point, Anniversary.

Yeah, I agree with Jenn !

+1 karma

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m